Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Considering an N4. Camera quality?

I really like the N4 and am seriously considering selling my iPhone 5 and getting an N4 to compliment my N7. However, I've heard mostly negative points about the N4's camera. How is everyone finding it? I have two young kids and a decent camera phone is paramount for me to capture moments quickly. If anyone is in a position to do so, I'd be grateful for a few comparison shots taken on an iPhone 5 and an N4. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Alienware M17X laptop - ooh look at the pretty coloured lights!

Default Re: Considering an N4. Camera quality?

decent megapixels but bad camera. The S3 i think is better and the iphone is better than Nexus 4. I don't have an iphone 5 so i can't but the shutter speed of the Nexus 4 is also slower on the native camera app, not sure about third party.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Damn kind of a deal breaker for me. Perhaps I'll wait for the next gen Nexus 4 and hope it has better camera hardware. Thanks for replying.

There are negative post about every camera on every phone that's ever been made. Go page through the N4 photo sticky. There are great shots and there are terrible shots. It all depends on who's using the device. As far as I'm concerned, the N4 camera is great.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Thanked by:
    ConTejas and DeadpoolJunior like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Flowers View Post
    Damn kind of a deal breaker for me. Perhaps I'll wait for the next gen Nexus 4 and hope it has better camera hardware. Thanks for replying.

get the s3. Almost as cheap as the Nexus 4 but it isn't unlocked. It has a better camera. Then nokia lumia 920 has an amazing camera that i heard. You can also get a galaxy camera if you want..? I mean it has android and everything.
    Thanked by:

Have a look at these pictures
    Photos Taken With Your Nexus 4 Camera!
    Thanked by:

You know how tech is.... 18 months ago this would have been one of the best cameras in the market. Today, it's middle of the pack.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:

Disappointed in the camera. Only reason I bought the phone. Comparisons had it lower than SG3, iphone..... I ended up buying a p & s. I hoping that key lime pie will help with the software as it seems to be the problem. There are shots that are good and others that make you think "WTF."
    Thanked by:

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

As noted above, the Nokia Lumia 920 has probably one of the best (if not the best) cameras available on a smartphone right now, especially in low light situations. However it's Windows Phone, so that may be a deal breaker right there. The iPhone 5 does have a better camera than the Nexus 4, but the Nexus camera isn't terrible by any stretch. You can certainly get great shots with it, especially if you use a different camera app. If you're looking for a quick point and shoot type camera on a smartphone, however, the iPhone 5 is probably your best bet if you don't want Windows Phone.
    Thanked by:

I own an N4, S3 & iPhone 5 - I find they all take comparable pictures if you're only viewing them on mobile devices.

If however, you're looking to display them on a TV, the S3 I found to be the worse (with HDR enabled for both the N4 & iPhone 5).
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    I own an N4, S3 & iPhone 5 - I find they all take comparable pictures if you're only viewing them on mobile devices.

If however, you're looking to display them on a TV, the S3 I found to be the worse (with HDR enabled for both the N4 & iPhone 5).
    really? From a video i saw, the nexus 4 takes the pictures darkest and least clarity and even though it has 8 megapixels, zooming in a bit will create more blurred than the S3
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    really?
    From the handful I've taken with all 3 using a tripod rig I borrowed to take the exact same pictures, yup.
    Again, not a huge difference though.

And for those disputing I actually have all 3 devices, here's my current collection:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Considering an N4. Camera quality?-uploadfromtaptalk1359510336072.jpg  
    Thanked by 3:
    TheLibertarian likes this.

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

I think if your a regular user like me then you wont have any problems at all with the camera. At the end of the day it is still a 8 megapixel camera.
    Thanked by:
    Lanhoj likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Thanks all. I'm still tempted I must admit. I've had iPhone's for the last 4-5 years and it's getting a little stale now. Something that even some diehard Apple fans are finding and getting frustrated with, as the design and the iOS have not changed too much.

Nexus 7 was a breath of fresh air to be honest hence it had me thinking about selling up and getting a Nexus 4.

It ticks all the boxes for me (not to mention I'd come out of the sale of the iPhone 5 32GB and purchase of the N4 with cash in hand) with the exception of the camera.

My camera usage is basically photographing my kids. That might be indoor or outdoor. Mostly just to keep on the phone/PC, posting to Facebook etc. and occasionally printing a few out on 6x4" photo paper. One thing I do think the iPhone 5 is good at though, is shutter speed. Gives me the ability to snap away many photos in quick succession and weed out the worst from the best. I'm not convinced from the replies here and some reviews I've read that I can achieve the same with the N4.

I'm reluctant to consider a Samsung as I'm not the biggest fan of the company. I do like my Google services so again, not sure I really want to go down the Windows route.

Definitely going to check out some more photograph examples linked here.

Thanks for your replies.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Have a look at these pictures
    Photos Taken With Your Nexus 4 Camera!
    Link doesn't seem to work for me :/

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts

It seems to be able to take decent snaps in the right hands, there is an ever growing collection here:
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Link doesn't seem to work for me :/

you may want to look at an HTC one x+. The camera and screen are gorgeous and every review will back this up. Or wait for the new M7. I don't hate the camera on my nexus 4 but got better shots consistently on my Samsung Galaxy S2 which was well known for the camera quality. It's not that you can't take a good photo with the nexus 4 but it seems to take more fiddling.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    MrVivekB and TomsAndroid like this.

Lol $300 Nexus and $75 Samsung ST201 from Walmart is still cheaper than any of the other options mentioned. Honestly for the spur of the moment shots, the Nexus will do but if you know you will need a camera (trips, hikes, etc) then of course you will need a dedicated camera. I understood the risk of getting the Nexus 4. It is a great device for what you get (besides the camera). I am very happy and glad I took the plunge.
    Thanked by 2:

for me at least the camera was great for daytime photos but pretty bad in low light situations... either night or indoors (like inside a club or something). saw people next to me taking much better pics with old iphones even.
    Thanked by:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by RustyU View Post
    It seems to be able to take decent snaps in the right hands, there is an ever growing collection here:
    That is a really useful thread, thank you.

The camera is average compared to the current competition. Iphone, Galaxy 3, and one X are all significantly better overall. The N4 is good when the scene is well lit but suffers otherwise. Since many shots of your children would be indoors, you should look elsewhere.
    Thanked by:

It does the job for me quite well. But really, the differences are so slight that if you are concerned over them, you should be using an actual camera for photos at that point.
    Thanked by 2:
    ConTejas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    It does the job for me quite well. But really, the differences are so slight that if you are concerned over them, you should be using an actual camera for photos at that point.
    Not really. In low light, the nexus 4 is horrible

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Thanked by:

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

My camera usage is basically photographing my kids. That might be indoor or outdoor. Mostly just to keep on the phone/PC, posting to Facebook etc. and occasionally printing a few out on 6x4" photo paper. One thing I do think the iPhone 5 is good at though, is shutter speed. Gives me the ability to snap away many photos in quick succession and weed out the worst from the best. I'm not convinced from the replies here and some reviews I've read that I can achieve the same with the N4.
    You can access the camera from the lock screen with the N4. I would say it takes about 4 seconds to go from phone off to ready to shoot. As for burst mode, it will take shots as fast as you can hit the button (although if you're tracking something they may not always be in focus). You can also take stills from within video mode, which is nice. Other Android phones like the HTC One X+ mentioned above also have excellent and fast cameras.

The one thing about the Nexus is it's cheap to buy (relatively speaking) and if you don't like it you should have no problems finding a buyer for it. If you're still on the fence after looking at comparison photos, I'd say go for it and see for yourself. Alternatively, since T-Mobile shops are now starting to stock it, you may be able to play with one yourself and make direct comparisons to your iPhone.
    Thanked by:

IMHO the camera's disappointing and as someone said above, shutter speeds are slow and results variable. I'd keep your iPhone. I'd have definitely bought an iPhone if they were cheaper (UK) as I take a lot of photos on my phone.
    Only took 2 short video clips and they were ok. Perfectly watchable.
    Think the nexus is a cheaper alternative to an iPhone rather than a direct threat to iPhone sales personally.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast