Media Server eating my battery?

exqcme

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
wTvY4BW.png

can anyone tell me what's wrong?
i read that it's the music i have on my phone that is causing issue?

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be a known bug with media server as you may have read. The best advice I can give you is to restore all your settings back to factory default with sync, location services, etc. and then shut down, perform a full recharge and then start back up documenting everything you do. Then begin the process of elimination of what app may be causing you issues with the media server. In my case, I have identified some of my kids' games that are killing my battery and I force close them when they are done playing.

I have heard Google will have a possible fix in the next update.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
At the risk of repeating myself, so far as I know Media Server is the set of operating system functions which underlies all media operations on the device. So, when you use PowerAmp or GooglePlay to listen to music (on your device or streaming), it is Media Server which actually does the work. When you use TuneIn to stream internet radio, it is Media Server which actually does the work. And so on.

Apps like those mentioned above serve merely as "front ends" which put a pretty user interface on the operating system's media functions.

Taking this info into account, maybe Media Server's battery usage no longer seems inappropriate?

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Simple fix, go into settings, click Google accounts, and un sync play music. This will fix that problem. If you add more music to the clouds, then just sync it again, then uncheck the box once your new music is loaded.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There we go. Really small percentage of android system, os, and media server. I got rid of almost every single sync option and i stopped all the applications i dont use. There are a lot of applications that you can disable in the settings to save battery.
I only have 15 minutes screen time and its still considerably higher than the android systems.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359558901525.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359558901525.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 45

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
At the risk of repeating myself, so far as I know Media Server is the set of operating system functions which underlies all media operations on the device. So, when you use PowerAmp or GooglePlay to listen to music (on your device or streaming), it is Media Server which actually does the work. When you use TuneIn to stream internet radio, it is Media Server which actually does the work. And so on.

Apps like those mentioned above serve merely as "front ends" which put a pretty user interface on the operating system's media functions.

Taking this info into account, maybe Media Server's battery usage no longer seems inappropriate?

while everything you said is true, there is in fact a known bug out there and it is simply masked under the "media server". When your battery dies in short order when you are doing nothing with your phone, you have a bug. But you are correct, if you see media server as the leading battery hog, but you are still getting good battery life, there should be nothing to fret over.

exqcme

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
semi-offtopic question

how do you reset the "history" of the battery?
just charge it full? i tried restarting, it still shows the same battery usage.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
This issue was plaguing my Galaxy Nexus two weeks ago and I couldn't find an answer either. Will remember this thread if I see it on my Nexus 4.