Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By minnemike
  • 1 Post By N4Newbie
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Media Server eating my battery?

can anyone tell me what's wrong?
    i read that it's the music i have on my phone that is causing issue?

Default Re: Media Server eating my battery?

i've asked this quite a bit of times, never got an effective solution to decrease it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

it's just odd, i have a friend who has the same phone.

his is only at 6% for media server

There seems to be a known bug with media server as you may have read. The best advice I can give you is to restore all your settings back to factory default with sync, location services, etc. and then shut down, perform a full recharge and then start back up documenting everything you do. Then begin the process of elimination of what app may be causing you issues with the media server. In my case, I have identified some of my kids' games that are killing my battery and I force close them when they are done playing.

I have heard Google will have a possible fix in the next update.
    ttwiitch likes this.

At the risk of repeating myself, so far as I know Media Server is the set of operating system functions which underlies all media operations on the device. So, when you use PowerAmp or GooglePlay to listen to music (on your device or streaming), it is Media Server which actually does the work. When you use TuneIn to stream internet radio, it is Media Server which actually does the work. And so on.

Apps like those mentioned above serve merely as "front ends" which put a pretty user interface on the operating system's media functions.

Taking this info into account, maybe Media Server's battery usage no longer seems inappropriate?
    ConTejas likes this.

[deleted. posted to wrong thread]

Quote Originally Posted by Nonymous666 View Post
    [deleted. posted to wrong thread]
    Cool. Heard it was google play sync. Im testing it out, seeing mediaserver at the ebd of the day

Sent from my Nexus 4

Simple fix, go into settings, click Google accounts, and un sync play music. This will fix that problem. If you add more music to the clouds, then just sync it again, then uncheck the box once your new music is loaded.
    Thanked by:

There we go. Really small percentage of android system, os, and media server. I got rid of almost every single sync option and i stopped all the applications i dont use. There are a lot of applications that you can disable in the settings to save battery.
    I only have 15 minutes screen time and its still considerably higher than the android systems.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Media Server eating my battery?-uploadfromtaptalk1359558901525.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    At the risk of repeating myself, so far as I know Media Server is the set of operating system functions which underlies all media operations on the device. So, when you use PowerAmp or GooglePlay to listen to music (on your device or streaming), it is Media Server which actually does the work. When you use TuneIn to stream internet radio, it is Media Server which actually does the work. And so on.

Apps like those mentioned above serve merely as "front ends" which put a pretty user interface on the operating system's media functions.

Taking this info into account, maybe Media Server's battery usage no longer seems inappropriate?
    while everything you said is true, there is in fact a known bug out there and it is simply masked under the "media server". When your battery dies in short order when you are doing nothing with your phone, you have a bug. But you are correct, if you see media server as the leading battery hog, but you are still getting good battery life, there should be nothing to fret over.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

semi-offtopic question

how do you reset the "history" of the battery?
    just charge it full? i tried restarting, it still shows the same battery usage.

Quote Originally Posted by exqcme View Post
    semi-offtopic question

how do you reset the "history" of the battery?
    just charge it full? i tried restarting, it still shows the same battery usage.
    There is an option im pretty sure that resets the battery stats

Sent from my Nexus 4
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

there's a 'refresh' option, but thats all i can see

Quote Originally Posted by exqcme View Post
    there's a 'refresh' option, but thats all i can see
    Mine resets automatically whenever it's done charging. I've never seen any option for it, although I've not really looked for one either.

Global Posts
    3,248 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

This issue was plaguing my Galaxy Nexus two weeks ago and I couldn't find an answer either. Will remember this thread if I see it on my Nexus 4.

read this and see if you guys understand the issue with mediaserver drain. this probably might not be the solution

and this

There is no Google Accounts in Settings

Quote Originally Posted by Dine Kostadincev View Post
    There is no Google Accounts in Settings
    Go to Settings, the scroll down to "Accounts" section and then underneath accounts is "Google".

To reset a history you have to plug in your charging adapter and then pull it out again.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Quote Originally Posted by Nonymous666 View Post
    Go to Settings, the scroll down to "Accounts" section and then underneath accounts is "Google".
    To further this, it's settings<google (under accounts)<hit your gmail account to see all of your syncing options.

I had the same problem. First I cleared all data from media server and all other applications with the word "play" in them. The situation improved slightly, but the real fix was a battery pull. Apparently pulling out the battery unloads something not cleared by a simple restart.

When I first got my N4 and when it was on Jelly Bean I had this same issue and disabling Google Currents fixed it for me, well it seemed like it did anyway.

Good Luck!