Keyboard Language Settings

Michael Rodgers

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I know how to enable multiple languages for the keyboard, but the only way I see to have the keyboard handle this is to toggle, using the "globe" button, between one or more languages.

Is there any way to set the keyboard to more than one language simultaneously? Ie, to accept words in German and English w/out toggling?

I'm referring to the stock N4, 4.2.1 keyboard. Additional Apps would be helpful but I'd love to stay stock.

Listicka

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the same question. I would like to use multiple languages while typing as well. So far I don't see any benefit of the multiple languages I enabled.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Swiftkey is great for that. I write both in French and English - and sometimes in the same sentence - and I'm very pleased with how Swiftkey handles that.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Swiftkey is great for that. I write both in French and English - and sometimes in the same sentence - and I'm very pleased with how Swiftkey handles that.
It's true that switching languages and keyboards in SwiftKey is extremely fast and easy. I just have one gripe, but my gripe might be something that you, being truly bilingual, like.

I love using SwiftKey, and occasionally have typed some Russian words with it using the Russian Cyrillic keyboard. As a result, it sometimes will show a word prediction in Russian while I'm using the English keyboard. It's a minor irritation, so I wish I could specify that it not predict non-English words. If I was actually bilingual, and typed with some language mix, I could see that this might be helpful. But, as I'm a typical one language (other than a wee bit of Russian language) American, I'd prefer the option to not predict non-English words when using the English keyboard.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I love using SwiftKey, and occasionally have typed some Russian words with it using the Russian Cyrillic keyboard. As a result, it sometimes will show a word prediction in Russian while I'm using the English keyboard. It's a minor irritation, so I wish I could specify that it not predict non-English words. If I was actually bilingual, and typed with some language mix, I could see that this might be helpful. But, as I'm a typical one language (other than a wee bit of Russian language) American, I'd prefer the option to not predict non-English words when using the English keyboard.

Indeed, this one is a tiny bit annoying - it does the same thing for me with Korean. I find it a bit random... But you are right, when using two languages equally often and sometimes mixing them, then swiftkey is truly remarkable.

Listicka

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all,
I love the SwiftKey so far. It recognizes all 3 languages I installed (English, Slovak, and Czech). I am tempted to install German to see if it will handle 4 languages simultaneously.
The only problem I have is I can't figure out how to change the keyboard to a specific language. I have all three languages enabled.
Per SkiftKey: "...Then choose the correct layout that you wish to use with each language by pressing on the keyboard icon next to the language". I don't see any icon.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The only problem I have is I can't figure out how to change the keyboard to a specific language. I have all three languages enabled.
Per SkiftKey: "...Then choose the correct layout that you wish to use with each language by pressing on the keyboard icon next to the language". I don't see any icon.
Notice that on the space bar there is the name of the current language and keyboard being used. You'll also see arrows on either side. Simply swipe on the space bar to the right or left to choose a different language. Easy as pie... or kol?če!

Listicka

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Sorry MJKearney, I don't see language name on the space bar, maybe because I have a trial installed for now? I also don't see arrows on either side.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Sorry MJKearney, I don't see language name on the space bar, maybe because I have a trial installed for now? I also don't see arrows on either side.
Hmm. So, first make sure you're actually using the Swiftkey keyboard. With the keyboard showing, pull down the notification tray from the top, left side of your N7. You'll notice that one of the notifications says "Choose input method". SwiftKey should be named under that. If not, then tap that notification. A window will pop up with a list of available keyboards. Choose SwiftKey. If that isn't the problem, then...

Although you've downloaded multiple languages, you have to make sure they are also enabled. So let's try this.

1. When the Swiftkey keyboard is showing, long-press the "123" key (it also has the little SwiftKey logo in the upper right corner of the key). A little window will pop up with different options.

2. Tap the "Settings" option. The Swiftkey settings menu will appear.

3. Tap the "Languages and layouts" option. You'll then see your downloaded languages and available languages.

4. For each of the downloaded languages listed that you want readily available, check the corresponding box on the right side of the screen. When you do this, you'll notice that under the language name the word "Disabled" changes to "Enabled"

4a. (Bonus!) You'll also notice a tiny keyboard symbol to the right of each enabled language. Tapping that symbol will bring up a window that lets you choose from different keyboard layouts available for that language. The number of layouts available depends on the language. For example, English has 16, while Russian has 2.

5. Tap the back key a few times to get back to your document. You should then see that the space bar has the name of your primary language on it, and you should be able to swipe the space bar in either direction to access the other languages.

Okay, so any kol?če this time?

Listicka

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
4a. (Bonus!) You'll also notice a tiny keyboard symbol to the right of each enabled language. Tapping that symbol will bring up a window that lets you choose from different keyboard layouts available for that language. The number of layouts available depends on the language. For example, English has 16, while Russian has 2.

Okay, so any kol?če this time?

I got the kol?če a aj z?kusky this time. I changed the keyboard setting to different layout for Slovak and for Czech and it is showing up now. Thank you soo much MJKearney!

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I got the kol?če a aj z?kusky this time. I changed the keyboard setting to different layout for Slovak and for Czech and it is showing up now. Thank you soo much MJKearney!

Sounds delicious! With 50% Czech blood in me, I'm more than happy to help out. Still, I think I'll skip the annual Czech luncheon this year. What they claim to be Czech food tastes more like peasant food of 500 years ago! It is not what good Slavic food should taste like. :mad: Anyway, I'm happy you're keyboard dilemma has been solved. :):beer:

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I also use swiftkey for English and Spanish. Great to have two (or more) languages enabled. i often use spanish words in english sentences and was always getting strange autocorrects.

Michael Rodgers

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

Right - this is exactly why I want more than one language activated. When you use two languages in the same sentence it gets annoying to have to hit that globe. I'll give Switkey a try...

Listicka

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
LOL, I cook from scratch what my mother thought me plus I am learning from the Net what I didn't learn. My Czech hubby loves the quality homemade food with a good hoppy beer.
Anyway I will get the paid version after the trial expires unless I will find some issues with it. It is much better than the original language setting by Google.

Listicka

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Michael, try it, I use 3 languages for couple of days now and it works well. I don't shift between the languages on they keyboard while the words do get suggested as I type or even swipe.

zerkms

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
What I cannot get is why you guys use swiftkey? Isn't the native keyboard something pretty close to what swiftkey provides?

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
What I cannot get is why you guys use swiftkey? Isn't the native keyboard something pretty close to what swiftkey provides?
The native keyboard is nice, as are other keyboards. It's really a matter of personal taste.

However, SwiftKey has exceptional prediction capability that definitely exceeds the native keyboard, some nice customizations, a comfortable layout (definitely up to personal taste), and easy to change, multiple language support with different keyboard layouts available for each language.

If you try any alternative keyboard after using the native keyboard extensively, you probably won't like it much in the beginning, simply because some keys are in different places. So whatever keyboard you try, be sure to try it for a couple days before passing final judgement.

Michael Rodgers

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Michael, try it, I use 3 languages for couple of days now and it works well. I don't shift between the languages on they keyboard while the words do get suggested as I type or even swipe.

Thanks - I'm using it now. I went for the free one month of use, and after about 5 minutes it became clear I'd happily pay $4. Very happy with Swiftkey.

Well, as I pointed out in the original post, the native keyboard does not allow for simultaneous multiple languages...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2