Nexus 4 USB Tethering issue with Windows XP

neils0n

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
So, I have just upgraded to a Nexus 4, fresh out of the box, running 4.2.1, no rooting.

When I connect it to my XP PC, it comes up as a device no problem, transfer files to my heart's content. When I switch it to tethering, it says a new RNDIS device is detected and it can't find the drivers for it.

I have downloaded tetherxp.inf and other suggested drivers I have found and no luck. I follow the suggested instructions (don't look on the internet for driver, browse in place where the files are) but it still comes up that the driver can't be found. I have put debugging mode on, still can't find the drivers.

I've googled for hours, but can't find an answer, or at least one for this device. The signal where I live isn't the best, but I'd still like to get my PC online. Please, please help!

neils0n

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I won't lie, it's something I've considered! I just don't understand why it won't detect the drivers. Or am I missing something obvious?

jedicide

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I found the solution.

You will have to edit your tetherxp.inf since it doesn't have the USB ID for the N4.

Open tetherxp.inf with notepad or whatever and replace both instances of PID_41E3 with PID_4EE3. Save, then try to reinstall.

I had to tell windows to install a network adapter and then pointed to my edited inf and it came right up.

neils0n

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Okay, thanks, I'll give that a go tonight!

I found the solution.

You will have to edit your tetherxp.inf since it doesn't have the USB ID for the N4.

Open tetherxp.inf with notepad or whatever and replace both instances of PID_41E3 with PID_4EE3. Save, then try to reinstall.

I had to tell windows to install a network adapter and then pointed to my edited inf and it came right up.

Carey Walker

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Great tip for sorting this out on N4.

I found that the change required was not quite as suggested. Think it may be a typo??

I didn't see two occurrences of PID_41E3, but I did see two of PID_4E13.

Replacing these two with PID_4EE3 and doing the explicit driver update you suggested, then worked fine AND tethering now works.

amsha

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Carey,
I did as you have mentioned in your post. downloaded the inf file, edited the file and explicitly tried to update the driver.
But it does not seem to work. It still fails to install the driver. It says it cannot find the necessary s/w.
Also I have enabled the USB debugging on my phone. Am I still missing something?
Consider me to be newbie in case of Android and any suggestions would help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21