Solavei Feedback

erjennin

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys, I just purchased my 16GB Nexus 4. I have hopped around carriers a bit and currently use Verizon. However, the price of Verizon has made me think about going the route of prepaid wireless.
Some time ago, I had an unlocked Galaxy Nexus that I used on Straight Talk (AT&T). Overall it wasn't bad, but I noticed data speeds were a little slow and it did a poor job roaming when I was in northern MI.

In the research I've done so far, It seems like Solavei uses T-Mobiles network which will utilize their 42 mbps speeds, so this solves the speed issue. I also heard that Solavei lets you roam on to AT&T's network when necessary.

Can anybody confirm their experience with Solavei? How does the AT&T roaming thing work in terms of data/voice? Has coverage been sufficient? Is T-Mobile's full 42mbps HSPA+ network available to Solavei customers?

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I am on Solavei and have been very happy since switching from Sprint. I am pretty sure they only use T-Mobile. (Not AT&T.) Yes, they have access to the HSPA+ network.

They do use the prepaid coverage map from T-Mobile which is different than the post paid map. I would suggest you take a good look at their coverage map and make sure you're happy with it. (I am.)

I haven't experienced it myself, but I've read that the signals indoors with the GSM carriers can be worse than the CDMA carriers. Just an FYI.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

erjennin

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I am on Solavei and have been very happy since switching from Sprint. I am pretty sure they only use T-Mobile. (Not AT&T.) Yes, they have access to the HSPA+ network.

They do use the prepaid coverage map from T-Mobile which is different than the post paid map. I would suggest you take a good look at their coverage map and make sure you're happy with it. (I am.)

I haven't experienced it myself, but I've read that the signals indoors with the GSM carriers can be worse than the CDMA carriers. Just an FYI.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Thank you for the reply.

My biggest is concern is how will i get voice/text/data when I'm out of a T-Mobile coverage area. I spoke with a T-Mobile representative this morning about their pre-paid plans and she told me that when I'm in northern MI (out of T-Mobile coverage), I will roam to AT&T. I'm sure my data will drop to EDGE, but as long as I can still get voice and text, I'm okay with that.

Have you had to travel out of T-Mobile coverage? If so, what did your phone do while on Solavei?

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply.

My biggest is concern is how will i get voice/text/data when I'm out of a T-Mobile coverage area. I spoke with a T-Mobile representative this morning about their pre-paid plans and she told me that when I'm in northern MI (out of T-Mobile coverage), I will roam to AT&T. I'm sure my data will drop to EDGE, but as long as I can still get voice and text, I'm okay with that.

Have you had to travel out of T-Mobile coverage? If so, what did your phone do while on Solavei?

I can't speak to what you were told - but I'm pretty sure you can only roam where there are agreements in place. I'm just a customer and a Nexus 4 owner - I don't pretend to be an expert.

It is my understanding (for prepaid) that if you are on the part of the map that is white and labeled "no service" you get nothing. If you are in the striped "service partner" area that is what they call domestic roaming and it is included - though speed limited. (Make sure you zoom in on the map to see this accurately.)

For example, this past weekend we drove to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. If you check the coverage from Kremmling, CO to Steamboat Springs you'll see most of that is service partner area - there are a couple of holes in coverage - then the T-Mobile network is back. I was watching my phone through this section, curious about how it would work. I had a strong signal through the service partner area with the exception of the one or two dead spots that were represented on the map. I didn't test data. (This is better coverage than Sprint on the same route.)

My phone usually tells me it's on Solavei. In the service partner area it listed the different provider name.

I just looked at the Michigan map and it looks like the North part of the state is mostly 2g service partner area. It is my understanding that Solavei will give you the same coverage T-Mobile prepaid. You just won't know what that really is until you try it. (Unless you can find someone in the area who uses it.)

ocostich

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the reply.

The consensus on the various forums, and from most T-Mobil reps is Thar their prepaid does not roam at all.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Pre-paid offers mobile network roaming, but not data roaming.

This agrees with everything I've read about prepaid directly from T-Mobile.

In those network roaming areas, Solavei has 2g, not just voice.