Best Pay-As-You-Go (Prepaid) Services for Nexus 4

Best Prepaid

• Total voters

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
What about tmobiles BYOD month to month? Its $70 a month for unlimited everything.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
How do the prepaid plans treat voice and data roaming?
T-Mobile's prepaid plans allow voice and text (SMS, not MMS) roaming, but there's no data roaming.

Straight Talk only allows roaming in a few areas. Assume you can't roam and be pleasantly surprised if / when you can.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Assume you can't roam and be pleasantly surprised if / when you can.

I think that's the bottom line for all the prepaid plans. Solavei has parts of their coverage map labeled "service partner" - that's what they consider "domestic roaming". I believe that's all they offer off the T-Mobile network. It's supposed to be 2g /voice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

rupam95

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm planning to get the $30 T-mobile plan ( 100 Minutes and Unlimited Data and Text) but my worry is what if my minutes exceeds 100, is there an app or someway to make free calls using the internet data on my Nexus 4?

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm planning to get the $30 T-mobile plan ( 100 Minutes and Unlimited Data and Text) but my worry is what if my minutes exceeds 100, is there an app or someway to make free calls using the internet data on my Nexus 4?

Download grooveip

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Trisha Rico

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
How do you use the tmobile 30/mth deal? I have read that you can't call them that you have to do it all online. What are the steps??? I just got my nexus 4 and want to test out tmobile before att. Thanks.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I wish T-mobile offered the same coverage for their top tiers of prepaid (including roaming) that they do for their contract and value plans. You pay the same for prepaid as for the value plans (at least for the top tier unlimited) but you have no data roaming. Unfortunately the only way to get that complete coverage, it seems, is to sign a two year contract even if you bring your own device.

Shiloh Trigg

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I use Red Pocket Wireless (att mvno). $29.99 monthly unlimited voice text and MMS but only 10mb data. StraightTalk/Net 10 is still the best option for unlimited data (not really. Att Is limiting them to 1.5gbs now)

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I find the T-Mobile $30 monthly prepaid plan which gives 100 voice minutes, unlimited texting and unlimited data (5gb at 4g) to be the best. Groove IP or Talkatone can be used to when I'm reaching the voice limit cap and I find 5gb is pretty difficult to exceed in a month.

Sent from a tablet, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I find the T-Mobile $30 monthly prepaid plan which gives 100 voice minutes, unlimited texting and unlimited data (5gb at 4g) to be the best. Groove IP or Talkatone can be used to when I'm reaching the voice limit cap and I find 5gb is pretty difficult to exceed in a month.

Sent from a tablet, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.

Have a question for you. I already have google voice for voicemail. Now I see with talkatone you need a google voice number that would be used for calls. Is there a way for users to call my mobile number and it all work over talkatone? Or do they need to call a new google voice number that forwards the call to my mobile?

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Have a question for you. I already have google voice for voicemail. Now I see with talkatone you need a google voice number that would be used for calls. Is there a way for users to call my mobile number and it all work over talkatone? Or do they need to call a new google voice number that forwards the call to my mobile?

If you're using a VoIP solution like GrooveIP or Talkatone they are going to work with your Google Voice number, not your sim number. I believe most people using this solution never give their sim number out. Personally, I found the 100 minutes too limited, and the VoIP quality too inconsistent if I wasn't on wifi. That's why I went with Solavei.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If you're using a VoIP solution like GrooveIP or Talkatone they are going to work with your Google Voice number, not your sim number. I believe most people using this solution never give their sim number out. Personally, I found the 100 minutes too limited, and the VoIP quality too inconsistent if I wasn't on wifi. That's why I went with Solavei.

Oh ok. Thanks for the info. I'd want people to use my SIM number as that's the number I've had for years. I think what I may do is port my number to google voice, get a new number for my service and then have google voice forward all my calls to that number. That should solve that as well as let me use google voice features with TMO prepaid which is currently a pain in the butt. Thanks for your reply.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Oh ok. Thanks for the info. I'd want people to use my SIM number as that's the number I've had for years. I think what I may do is port my number to google voice, get a new number for my service and then have google voice forward all my calls to that number. That should solve that as well as let me use google voice features with TMO prepaid which is currently a pain in the butt. Thanks for your reply.

I ported to Google Voice when I made the switch to Solavei. The biggest problem to be aware of is Google Voice doesn't support MMS. I was coming from a voice only line, and as soon as I told people I could text they started texting pictures. So I ended up giving my new sim number out to anyone who texts me. This inevitably means I get called on both numbers. The good news on that front is Solavei supports conditional call forwarding so I can easily use Google Voice voicemail for my sim and GV numbers.

In all reality, giving the new number out wasn't as much of a pain as I thought it would be.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I ported to Google Voice when I made the switch to Solavei. The biggest problem to be aware of is Google Voice doesn't support MMS. I was coming from a voice only line, and as soon as I told people I could text they started texting pictures. So I ended up giving my new sim number out to anyone who texts me. This inevitably means I get called on both numbers. The good news on that front is Solavei supports conditional call forwarding so I can easily use Google Voice voicemail for my sim and GV numbers.

In all reality, giving the new number out wasn't as much of a pain as I thought it would be.

Thanks again for the info. I wonder why tmobile doesn't support the call forwarding since they are both using the same network. Well I definitely want my MMS to work properly to one number and receive all my voicemail there as well so maybe I'll just have to go without google voicemail for my SIM number for a while. I guess I'll just need to use my google voice number to set up talkatone and grooveIP and I can make outgoing calls from that and incoming calls come directly to my SIM number. I really did the tmobile one because I barely talk on the phone (and $30 a month is great) but I wanted to at least be able to call if I had to as a backup but wanted it to be seamless. Guess you can't have everything LOL. Good thing about prepaid is I can always switch so I'll see how it is over over the next couple months. Thanks again.

BroncoTed

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

Hey I am just about ready to order a nexus, however I'm a little confused about how people use their numbers....

I will be coming from Verizon with my own number, however, I do have a separate google voice number....

To be able to be fully 'portable' to any service (tmo one month, at&t the next, straight talk next, etc) would it be best to port my verizon number to Google voice?

To be more specific, i'm wondering what happens when you switch services... If you have a gv number for text and voice, do you have to give out a new number for mms?

Sorry if this is a newb question, thought it was the best place to ask

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey I am just about ready to order a nexus, however I'm a little confused about how people use their numbers....

I will be coming from Verizon with my own number, however, I do have a separate google voice number....

To be able to be fully 'portable' to any service (tmo one month, at&t the next, straight talk next, etc) would it be best to port my verizon number to Google voice?

To be more specific, i'm wondering what happens when you switch services... If you have a gv number for text and voice, do you have to give out a new number for mms?

If you anticipate hopping frequently, the solution for maximum portability is probably to port the number you want to keep to Google, and forward GV to the number from your carrier du jour. Otherwise, you'll constantly have to port your number from carrier to carrier.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to try the workaround in this post to see if it works. Looks to me that people have been able to get it to work by either changing the voicemail number and/or having tmobile disable their voicemail feature. I'll let you guys know if it works. I need one number for calls and SMS/MMS so I'm not porting it over to GV. I do however don't mind using the GV number for talkatone. I'll report back later this evening.

Google Voice - T-Mobile Prepaid - xda-developers

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

I think it comes down to how you want to use your number(s) , and how often you think you might be changing carriers. MMS doesn't work with GV, so if you want MMS you need to use your sim number - this will change if you change carriers unless you port each time. If you give your sim number to people for MMS, you know some of them will also call you on it.

I ported my 'home' number to Google Voice, I've had the number more than 15 years. It started as a landline, many years ago I ported it to Sprint when we went cell phone only. The reason I ported to Google Voice is I didn't want to mess around with multiple ports if I changed carriers - I liked the idea of my number being parked in one spot. There are enough posts about problems with ports that I didn't want to port my number frequently.

As I said in my previous post, due to MMS I still end up giving out my sim number. (And I have to call my brother with my sim number because he has limited minutes but 'mobile to mobile' is free. As soon as you go through GV it isn't a 'mobile' call anymore.)

There are good things about the port to GV. I bought an Obi100 (VoIP bridge) and hooked it up to a multi-handset Panasonic phone at home. Now my GV number behaves like a home number again - and it also rings my Nexus 4.

All in all, it didn't work how I thought it would when I did the port, but I'm happy with the results.

As far as Solavei supporting conditional call forwarding when T-Mobile prepaid doesn't, I think that's about T-Mobile limiting their prepaid plans to try to get customers moved to their other plans. Solavei also data roams (2g) but T-Mobile prepaid roams voice only.

Funny thing is, if I left Solavei I'd port that number out since I've given it to people. But I don't need to worry about that, I'm too happy with Solavei to leave.

I know I rambled a bit. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. I spent a lot of time getting our phones set up and understanding it. I'm happy to share what I've learned. I certainly learned a lot from others...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma