Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Home, backspace and multi-tasker key won't respond?

Please someone help me.. I don't have money for a new phone and I can't call Google for a replacement since I bought this phone off someone and they didn't give me a receipt.
    I just came from the gym and I guess the dampness might have ruined it somehow, but I don't know why since I always bring it with me to the gym!
    I can horizontally shift it and it works when the buttons are on the earpiece part but it won't work when I put the phone vertically... this is driving me insane I only had this phone for 3 months too.

Anyone have this problem or could assist me? It's also a rooted Nexus 4.

Default Re: Home, backspace and multi-tasker key won't respond?

you had it for 3 months? you have the review unit or what? Nexus 4 has only been released for about 2 months now
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Haha sorry well it's felt like three months.. I got it at the end of November!

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Have you tried wiping the device? or going into recovery and fixing permissions, wiping cache and dalvik.
    Thanked by:

Ok, so it is rooted. Does that mean you have installed a custom ROM as well?

Try this: Holding the phone in the normal vertical orientation (earpiece & camera at the top), turn on and open the Chrome browser. Navigate to any web page.

I presume the Back, Home, and Tasks keys are not functional, correct?

Now, rotate the counter-clockwise to horizontal. The orientation of the browser and of the Back, Home, and Task keys changes, but the keys remain in essentially the same place. Are the keys still dead?

Rotate the phone 180 deg so that the earpiece/camera are now on the right. Try using your finger on the far left edge of the screen (where the three keys were a moment ago before you flipped the phone) to scroll the web page up/down. Does this work? If not, you may have a hardware problem. If it does work, you probably have a software problem.

Have you rebooted the phone yet?
    Thanked by:

I exactly had the same problem with less than a month old Nexus 4. Stock OS, not rooted. If I rotate the phone where the softkeys are near the camera/earpiece, they work. There's no touch no response on the area where the softkeys are supposed to be if you hold it in portrait mode.

Had the touchpad together with the lcd replaced under warranty. Guy at LG says the replacement hardware cost about 100USD if you buy it. Took a look at ebay prices, much more expensive than 100USD.

Rebooting or restoring factory settings didn't work.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Hi there N4Newbie, Yes it work's when I rotate it all directions and then swipe on the far left side! So it must be a software problem, I'm going to try rebooting it this weekend
    Thanks everyone for the help I'll update you guys on Friday night when I'm off work

Any update?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Sorry forgot to reply to this thread... still won't work =( I've unrooted it and factory restored it and the phone is just not working vertically, the buttons are all unresponsive

Google play store can't help me get a warranty since I bought this phone off another person and the guy is no where to be found, with no email to provide Google play store with.

Anyone have any other solutions?