So now who do I go with in NYC (Queens) ?

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
My 2 Phones are scheduled for delivery by end of day today, now I have a big dilemma and need some advice from people that are hopefully in in NYC.

Since ATT Sims are still available on the Walmart website as of last night I am wondering if I should go ATT or TM on Straight Talk ?
Or should I go with Solavei or TM directly prepaid.
The slight difference in download speed between ATT and TM is not critical to me, and I doubt I will be using more than 1-1.5 gig of data.

However I do use about 1500-2000 minutes of phone and the occasional MMS. I would like MMS but could live without it.
The phone service is extremely important and takes precedence over data I would like to know if you have had better service from one vs the others.

I also expect to purchase a Nexus 7 shortly and would like to tether occasionally when on the street and no wifi is available. I need access to an industry specific website when out of the office and this is the only way unless I pay a ridicules monthly data fee for something I might use twice a week for five minutes at a time.

Thanks

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have T-Mobile and my brother has AT&T. We both grew up in Queens. For voice you won't have any problems at all with either service. For data it really depends on where you are in Queens. Funny enough at our mother's place in Queens Village NO ONE gets good service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

peterskim

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I live in Astoria and spend most of my time in western Queens and Manhattan. No issues with voice. Data is pretty good too though I wish it was faster at times.

ecpolo521

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I live in Astoria as well and right now I've been using TMobile. So far HSPA+ speeds are good. And no issues with voice. There's even been times where I get reception in places I didn't get with Verizon 3G

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Love my old neighborhood.

yqe7a5yb.jpg

Sent from my HTC One S

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
At&t. They have LTE and it's in a lot of places. Your other choices aren't messing with them.

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

perryny5

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I work in Manhattan and live in Long Island. I moved to T-Mobile pre-pay from Verizon. I'm very happy.

Zero problems with phone service. Download speed on HSPA+ is as fast, if not faster than VZW's 4G (although my old TBolt might've contributed to the slowness).

I noticed an issue today sending photos over MMS, but I haven't tried figuring out what's up yet. I'm sure it's something unique to me and fixable.

I also discovered yesterday that I can't call or text Canada unless on top of my current unlimited plan, I pay an additional $10/mo. (+ $0.12/min. if the guy I'm calling is on a cell phone). I then found out that the Nexus 4 can't do wifi calling on T-Mobile. I haven't tried Viber or other third party apps yet.

This is an issue for me, but still doesn't give me the slightest remorse about switching from Verizon.

I've only been with T-Mobile for a month now, but so far I wouldn't hesitate recommending them.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I got the phones last evening and went with TM today $50 plan for both of us. If I need to go to the $60 plan for one phone in the next month or two that is the way I will go.

nat72sherman

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody have any issues with TM in manhattan office buildings? I switch from TM to VZW years ago. I would never get a signal in office buildings with TM. Now that VZW is going away with unlimited and I'm considering a N4, I wonder how TM is nowadays.

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody have any issues with TM in manhattan office buildings? I switch from TM to VZW years ago. I would never get a signal in office buildings with TM. Now that VZW is going away with unlimited and I'm considering a N4, I wonder how TM is nowadays.

I work in the Financial District and have no problems in our building. In fact T-Mobile is great in this part of the city.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

danootz

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Works perfectly in the Union Square area.
I used to get 0-2 bars max on Sprint in my office building. Notorious for not letting signals through.
Co-worker lately has been been getting no coverage at all on ATT.

T-Mobile is giving me 4 out of 4 bars on HSPA10.
(Speedtest reported back with 8MBp/s down 1.2Mbp/s up)

In Astoria I'm getting perfect bars too, where I used to get only 2-3 on Sprint.
(Speedtest reported back with around 16mbps down 1.5 up)

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
At&t. They have LTE and it's in a lot of places. Your other choices aren't messing with them.

Why would that matter? You are giving 100% wrong advice versus what you mean to give. I assume, hopefully correctly, that you mentioned this because LTE is faster than HSPA+ most of the time. But AT&T will, all other things being even, be SLOWER than T-Mobile due to HSPA+ 42 vs 21.

Not trying to be a huge jackass, okay, maybe a little, but I wouldn't want someone reading this thread to go AT&T and then be pissed at the phone because it won't connect to LTE.

I will grant you the OP didn't say what phone he was getting, but since this is in the Nexus 4 forum...

LTE doesn't matter for the time being on the Nexus 4, for the time being, unless you are in Canada I suppose.

By the by, Double Tap, how has T-Mobile service been treating you so far? Speeds good enough for you tethering needs?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Why would that matter? You are giving 100% wrong advice versus what you mean to give. I assume, hopefully correctly, that you mentioned this because LTE is faster than HSPA+ most of the time. But AT&T will, all other things being even, be SLOWER than T-Mobile due to HSPA+ 42 vs 21.

Not trying to be a huge jackass, okay, maybe a little, but I wouldn't want someone reading this thread to go AT&T and then be pissed at the phone because it won't connect to LTE.

I will grant you the OP didn't say what phone he was getting, but since this is in the Nexus 4 forum...

LTE doesn't matter for the time being on the Nexus 4, for the time being, unless you are in Canada I suppose.

By the by, Double Tap, how has T-Mobile service been treating you so far? Speeds good enough for you tethering needs?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I am VERY happy with the speed of T-M in most places, :) however in my apartment I wish I had what they call a signal booster, they do give them to post paid customers for free but a prepaid can't even pay and get one :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith