Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Default Re: T Mobile 4G no contract & Google Voice App outgoing calls?

another real quick question....when i do download grooveip...what do you use to call out? do you just use the native dialer or do you use GV or grooveip? (this is if you have GV make all calls setting). grooveip is going to be linked up with my GV number/account i presume yes?

No matter what dialer I use, if GrooveIP has been started (it stays running in the background unless you go back into its screen and hit menu>exit), the call goes out over GrooveIP. I can't remember if that was an option when I first installed/setup GrooveIP, but I think it was.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    No matter what dialer I use, if GrooveIP has been started (it stays running in the background unless you go back into its screen and hit menu>exit), the call goes out over GrooveIP. I can't remember if that was an option when I first installed/setup GrooveIP, but I think it was.
    I think you need to purchase the full version of Grooveip in order to use it as the native dialer.

"Upgrade to the full version of GrooVe IP () to remove ads and enable features:
    - Calls over a mobile data connection not just WiFi
    - Native dialer integration
    - Proximity sensor support
    - Change sign in status or sign in invisible"
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Last Ride View Post
    As for using the stock messaging app, I have found that I can use it to send messages through GV. First, select GV to use the stock messaging app as described above. When you get a text to the GV number, it shows up in your stock messaging app, right? It also shows as coming from some random number. But, if you reply to the text in the stock messaging app, it will reroute through GV and show your GV number to the recipient. So, if you then add that "random number" to the contact you received the text from, you can now use the stock messaging app to send texts through GV. Just make sure to use that "random number" for texting rather than the contact's phone number, or it will show up as your Tmo number. Make sense?
    Brilliant. Even so, I think I will just stick to using the GV app for SMS's just for simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by TURBOSPARTAN View Post
    I'm also interested in this 4G Monthly plan ($30 for 5gb data, 100 minutes, unlimited text). Anyone else have it? Is the VOIP calling decent enough that this is an actual possibility as a phone plan?

I don't use that many minutes (last month I used 148), but I wouldn't want to use VOIP if it isn't at least decent. Call clarity? Dropped calls? Anything like that?
    There are more than 10 VoIP solutions to use gv free calling feature. I found a one that works better than tmo cell minutes but its hard for an average user to set up properly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
    There are more than 10 VoIP solutions to use gv free calling feature. I found a one that works better than tmo cell minutes but its hard for an average user to set up properly.
    Is your's referenced here?
    Last Ride likes this.

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    ROM

Yeah, I've had mixed results with GrooveIP (the paid app). I tried going the pbxes and sipdroid, but I was too stupid to figure it out. I'm going to check out the thread referenced above to see what else I can come up with.
    Bryan
    Curve 8530 > OG Droid > DInc 2 > OG Storm > Droid Pro > Droid 3 > Droid RAZR > Galaxy SII > Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    My question is more about how good of a connection you can get while making a 3G/4G call. That, and how "good" is the connection if using the T-mo plan as a WiFi router in my home. I live in a 42HSDPA area, and I'm considering using the T-mo plan for 2 things:

1. As my primary cell phone service (using a VOIP for any "extra" minutes, over the 100 allotted minutes). This is even less of an issue, as at 10 cents per extra minute, I can "go over" the 100 allotted minutes by 350 minutes ($35 extra) and still be paying less than I am with ATT currently ($82 for 450 minutes, unlimited everything else VERSUS $30 + $35 in 350-minute-overages = $65).

2. As a WiFi router for my home. 5GB of 4G (I'm in a T-mo 4G 42HSDPA area) should be plenty for my home internet needs, as long as the connection is fast enough and stays connected. I have a PS3 (play online, but not very often), a tablet, and a few PC's. Is the T-mo 4G fast/strong enough to support a home internet solution? I currently have DSL and the wiring is so old in my condo that I can't even reach the speeds I'm paying for (7mb/s down, 1.5mb/s up is what I'm paying for, Speedtest.net is showing me rarely getting above 1mb/s up or down).

If the above solutions could work, I could drop my monthly payments from $82 + $35 ($117), to $30 and $30 ($60). Thoughts?

No one is going to be able to tell you if your speeds will be fast enough in your particular home, because that's a radio issue. The Wi-Fi hotspot is somewhat short range, as you might imagine, but it would probably work for a house if centrally located. I just suspect that you'll burn through that 5GB of data in no time. Most people don't realize how much data they actually use on a typical home connection.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

I'm going to check out the thread referenced above to see what else I can come up with.
    Good luck, I'd be interested in the results. I haven't had experience trying voip over 3G/4G but my simless N4 voips really good over wifi. My own experience using voip on pc's it can be "touch and go" at times, but from these threads i get the feeling that voip on 3G/4G it is more of a "tug-of-war" all the time between just barely okay and too crappy too tolerate. If you have one too many frustrating experiences I think you just give up and pony up and pay for the minutes you need.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TURBOSPARTAN View Post
    My question is more about how good of a connection you can get while making a 3G/4G call. That, and how "good" is the connection if using the T-mo plan as a WiFi router in my home.
    I noticed your post earlier (or it was the same question by somebody else) asking about whether or not you'd be able to use your N4 as a wifi router with the Tmo $30 plan (5 GB) as far as I can tell nobody addressed your question. When I read the post my first thought was 1) way too ambitious and no way you'd be able to use your PS3 for online gaming with your N4 as a wifi router; and, 2) is it even possible to tether and use your N4 as a wifi hotspot with the Tmo $30 plan? Those are just my thoughts without knowing or having first hand knowledge but as another poster mentioned 5GB of data is practically nothing for normal PC use. You'd be limited to light web browsing. You'd have to employ every trick in the book to limit data usage -- use features like Opera turbo, disable images, no video, ad block, etc., etc........or you'd hit 5GB pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    Is your's referenced here?
    No. I used that a few weeks ago and now moved to PIAF on EC2. Should have posted the link but I was on my phone. Here it is.

Thanked by:
    jdbii 
    jdbii likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

As for using the stock messaging app, I have found that I can use it to send messages through GV. First, select GV to use the stock messaging app as described above. When you get a text to the GV number, it shows up in your stock messaging app, right? It also shows as coming from some random number. But, if you reply to the text in the stock messaging app, it will reroute through GV and show your GV number to the recipient. So, if you then add that "random number" to the contact you received the text from, you can now use the stock messaging app to send texts through GV. Just make sure to use that "random number" for texting rather than the contact's phone number, or it will show up as your Tmo number. Make sense?
    Last Ride: Have you ever run into the problem where the random number you assigned stops working? Thx.

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    ROM

Not yet. Although the number appears to be random, it seems to remain consistent for a given contact once assigned.
    Bryan
    Curve 8530 > OG Droid > DInc 2 > OG Storm > Droid Pro > Droid 3 > Droid RAZR > Galaxy SII > Nexus 4
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 

Just a word of warning regarding trying to use the 5GB plan as replacement for home internet: 5GB really is NOT that much. I setup a local hotspot to tether a Nexus 7. In the course of one weekend, I burned through about 1.2GB -- just on YouTube videos (about 2 hours worth). I can only imagine what a whole household of Netflix-playing, game DLC gulping, and so forth would do with 5GB; I can only imagine that the 5GB would not last that long.

As for using GrooveIP/GV combo, I could never get reliable quality with it. I would hear the other party just fine, but I would hear a lot of "Hello? Hello? Are you there?". I found that was a little better with more consistent quality -- on both wifi and HSPA+.

With Hulu and Songza streaming we easily hit 20gb per month on the home Internet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Not yet. Although the number appears to be random, it seems to remain consistent for a given contact once assigned.
    The method you described above also works for making telephone (without using the google voice app) in the exact same manner as it works for using the phone's stock messaging app. It works on my simple-messaging "dumb" phone that does not have google voice app on it. Following your explanation in your earlier post above, and using my "dumb" phone, once the random number is assigned to contacts then texts as well as telephone calls now display on caller ID as a google voice number to the receiving-phone. This very convenient, thanks for pointing it out to us.

Seeking clarification after reviewing thread.
    1. I give out my Google Voice number and forward all calls to that number to my Verizon phone.
    2. My Verizon phone, of course, has its own number so calls directly made to that number also come through.
    3. I am very close to purchasing the Nexus 4 but want to clarify how well Google Voice integrates with T-mobile ... or other carriers (ideally on a prepaid plan).
    4. My understanding from the thread is that I need to download the GrooveIP app to make Google Voice work with T-mobile.
    5. Does the issue for item #4 apply to all carriers? Or, is this different for Spring since there is some integration between Sprint and Google Voice?
    6. Finally, for anyone familiar with Sprint and Google Voice, can I just provide my existing Google Voice number or do I need to accept a Sprint number and then "mask" it as I currently do with my Verizon number?
    Although this thread seems to be dead, I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.
    Ole

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

this grooveip is such bullcrap! I gradually inviting people to sigh up for Viber the quality is amazing and it's free!

Quote Originally Posted by Ole73 View Post
    3. I am very close to purchasing the Nexus 4 but want to clarify how well Google Voice integrates with T-mobile ... or other carriers (ideally on a prepaid plan).
    4. My understanding from the thread is that I need to download the GrooveIP app to make Google Voice work with T-mobile.
    ck.
    Number 3 - the only thing GV can't do on TMobile prepaid plans is act as your voicemail for calls to your TMobile number. Everything else works perfectly.
    Number 4 - GrooveIP is only needed if you want to make calls using data instead of cell minutes. Only a concern if you have a plan with restricted minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole73 View Post
    Seeking clarification after reviewing thread.
    1. I give out my Google Voice number and forward all calls to that number to my Verizon phone.
    2. My Verizon phone, of course, has its own number so calls directly made to that number also come through.
    5. Does the issue for item #4 apply to all carriers? Or, is this different for Spring since there is some integration between Sprint and Google Voice?
    6. Finally, for anyone familiar with Sprint and Google Voice, can I just provide my existing Google Voice number or do I need to accept a Sprint number and then "mask" it as I currently do with my Verizon number?
    Although this thread seems to be dead, I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.
    Ole
    You only need to mess around with GrooveIP (or other VoIP solution) if you're on a limited minute plan. It's a workaround to use data for calls instead of minutes.

I went through porting my 15 year old number away from Sprint to Google Voice in January. I did a ton of research to get set up.

Think of GV as a call forwarding service. If you give out that number you can have those calls forwarded where you want. The biggest drawback is GV doesn't support MMS - so no texting pictures. When I got my Nexus 4, people immediately started texting pictures so I ended up giving out my sim number which wasn't my intent. I use both numbers now, which isn't as big a deal as I thought it would be.

The biggest integration issue is voicemail. If you want all your voicemail (GV and sim) to go to GV voicemail you need conditional call forwarding. T-Mobile prepaid doesn't have conditional call forwarding. This is one of the reasons I went with Solavei (T-Mobile MVNO.) The postpaid side of T-Mobile does have conditional call forwarding, but Solavei offers more 4g data for the same price.

Here is how my setup works. If you call my sim or GV number my Nexus 4 rings, and the call goes to GV voicemail. The GV app is installed on my Nexus 4. When I place a call I can choose whether the call is made with my sim number, or using GV. Whether making or receiving calls, minutes are used. I check my voicemail with the GV app. There's nothing else in the way of integration.

Hopefully, that answers some questions. Let me know where I didn't make sense. (My husband says I should draw up a flowchart any time I try to explain it to him.)

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei
    Ask me about Solavei.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12