T Mobile 4G no contract & Google Voice App outgoing calls?

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, if you are using GV and GrooVe IP exclusively, the Tmo number and VM shouldn't matter. To use Groove IP, you set up GV to forward to your Talk app, right? If there is no answer, it routes back to GV. As long as you have people calling only your GV number, it should never "cross paths" with your Tmo number or VM.

As for using the stock messaging app, I have found that I can use it to send messages through GV. First, select GV to use the stock messaging app as described above. When you get a text to the GV number, it shows up in your stock messaging app, right? It also shows as coming from some random number. But, if you reply to the text in the stock messaging app, it will reroute through GV and show your GV number to the recipient. So, if you then add that "random number" to the contact you received the text from, you can now use the stock messaging app to send texts through GV. Just make sure to use that "random number" for texting rather than the contact's phone number, or it will show up as your Tmo number. Make sense?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The only limitation I found is that you must dial the full 10-digit # for this to work. Otherwise, it will show your regular T-mo #.

I'm not going to say that this is untrue, but I can tell you that I never doing anything different when calling people using GV on my phone. I look up a contact (or use speed dial), hit the call button and it goes through, showing them only my GV number. I have never had to dial differently or specifically dial someones area code.

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I use both GV and GrooveIP. Most of the time I have GrooveIP on. When I get a call, if it's sounding OK (it usually is), I continue talking. If it gets choppy sounding, I hang up, turn GrooveIP off and call the person back over the cellular network via GV. The only exception I make to this is if I have an important call to make that I don't want to risk a possible bad connection on, I will start out with GrooveIp off and make the call over cell (using GV).

As far as MMS goes, I NEVER use the native messaging app, so I NEVER MMS. Using the native messaging app would send out my real cell number to people and defeat the entire purpose of having GV . At first, no one that you sent an MMS to would know it was you, then, no matter what you told them, they would start communicating with you on that number. If I want to send someone a picture, I email it. If you can't live without MMS, then you need to not use GV. Hopefully Google will eventually add this feature, but it doesn't exist today.

haha...makes sense. i actually wasn't using GV for the purpose of people not knowing my number...but it was a way to avoid having a texting plan with my iphone on ATT. now that i'm moving to an unlimited text plan with t-mo it doesnt matter. the e-mail a photo option makes perfect sense...not sure why i didnt think of that, because like you i rarely get MMS messages. looks like i'll be going the groove IP/GV option.

thanks!

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Okay, if you are using GV and GrooVe IP exclusively, the Tmo number and VM shouldn't matter. To use Groove IP, you set up GV to forward to your Talk app, right? If there is no answer, it routes back to GV. As long as you have people calling only your GV number, it should never "cross paths" with your Tmo number or VM.

As for using the stock messaging app, I have found that I can use it to send messages through GV. First, select GV to use the stock messaging app as described above. When you get a text to the GV number, it shows up in your stock messaging app, right? It also shows as coming from some random number. But, if you reply to the text in the stock messaging app, it will reroute through GV and show your GV number to the recipient. So, if you then add that "random number" to the contact you received the text from, you can now use the stock messaging app to send texts through GV. Just make sure to use that "random number" for texting rather than the contact's phone number, or it will show up as your Tmo number. Make sense?

wow...nice. so basically just add that weird/random number to the contact, then use that weird number to send texts to them from then on?

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
another real quick question....when i do download grooveip...what do you use to call out? do you just use the native dialer or do you use GV or grooveip? (this is if you have GV make all calls setting). grooveip is going to be linked up with my GV number/account i presume yes?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
No matter what dialer I use, if GrooveIP has been started (it stays running in the background unless you go back into its screen and hit menu>exit), the call goes out over GrooveIP. I can't remember if that was an option when I first installed/setup GrooveIP, but I think it was.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
No matter what dialer I use, if GrooveIP has been started (it stays running in the background unless you go back into its screen and hit menu>exit), the call goes out over GrooveIP. I can't remember if that was an option when I first installed/setup GrooveIP, but I think it was.

I think you need to purchase the full version of Grooveip in order to use it as the native dialer.

"Upgrade to the full version of GrooVe IP (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gvoip) to remove ads and enable features:
- Calls over a mobile data connection not just WiFi
- Native dialer integration
- Proximity sensor support
- Change sign in status or sign in invisible"
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...grooveip&feature=search_result&token=A7ZJ3rrx

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Brilliant. Even so, I think I will just stick to using the GV app for SMS's just for simplicity.

acegolfer

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm also interested in this 4G Monthly plan ($30 for 5gb data, 100 minutes, unlimited text). Anyone else have it? Is the VOIP calling decent enough that this is an actual possibility as a phone plan?

I don't use that many minutes (last month I used 148), but I wouldn't want to use VOIP if it isn't at least decent. Call clarity? Dropped calls? Anything like that?

There are more than 10 VoIP solutions to use gv free calling feature. I found a one that works better than tmo cell minutes but its hard for an average user to set up properly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've had mixed results with GrooveIP (the paid app). I tried going the pbxes and sipdroid, but I was too stupid to figure it out. I'm going to check out the thread referenced above to see what else I can come up with.

TURBOSPARTAN

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
There are more than 10 VoIP solutions to use gv free calling feature. I found a one that works better than tmo cell minutes but its hard for an average user to set up properly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

My question is more about how good of a connection you can get while making a 3G/4G call. That, and how "good" is the connection if using the T-mo plan as a WiFi router in my home. I live in a 42HSDPA area, and I'm considering using the T-mo plan for 2 things:

1. As my primary cell phone service (using a VOIP for any "extra" minutes, over the 100 allotted minutes). This is even less of an issue, as at 10 cents per extra minute, I can "go over" the 100 allotted minutes by 350 minutes ($35 extra) and still be paying less than I am with ATT currently ($82 for 450 minutes, unlimited everything else VERSUS $30 + $35 in 350-minute-overages = $65).

2. As a WiFi router for my home. 5GB of 4G (I'm in a T-mo 4G 42HSDPA area) should be plenty for my home internet needs, as long as the connection is fast enough and stays connected. I have a PS3 (play online, but not very often), a tablet, and a few PC's. Is the T-mo 4G fast/strong enough to support a home internet solution? I currently have DSL and the wiring is so old in my condo that I can't even reach the speeds I'm paying for (7mb/s down, 1.5mb/s up is what I'm paying for, Speedtest.net is showing me rarely getting above 1mb/s up or down).

If the above solutions could work, I could drop my monthly payments from $82 + $35 ($117), to $30 and $30 ($60). Thoughts?

Mr.Audio

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
No one is going to be able to tell you if your speeds will be fast enough in your particular home, because that's a radio issue. The Wi-Fi hotspot is somewhat short range, as you might imagine, but it would probably work for a house if centrally located. I just suspect that you'll burn through that 5GB of data in no time. Most people don't realize how much data they actually use on a typical home connection.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to check out the thread referenced above to see what else I can come up with.

Good luck, I'd be interested in the results. I haven't had experience trying voip over 3G/4G but my simless N4 voips really good over wifi. My own experience using voip on pc's it can be "touch and go" at times, but from these threads i get the feeling that voip on 3G/4G it is more of a "tug-of-war" all the time between just barely okay and too crappy too tolerate. If you have one too many frustrating experiences I think you just give up and pony up and pay for the minutes you need.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My question is more about how good of a connection you can get while making a 3G/4G call. That, and how "good" is the connection if using the T-mo plan as a WiFi router in my home.

I noticed your post earlier (or it was the same question by somebody else) asking about whether or not you'd be able to use your N4 as a wifi router with the Tmo $30 plan (5 GB) as far as I can tell nobody addressed your question. When I read the post my first thought was 1) way too ambitious and no way you'd be able to use your PS3 for online gaming with your N4 as a wifi router; and, 2) is it even possible to tether and use your N4 as a wifi hotspot with the Tmo $30 plan? Those are just my thoughts without knowing or having first hand knowledge but as another poster mentioned 5GB of data is practically nothing for normal PC use. You'd be limited to light web browsing. You'd have to employ every trick in the book to limit data usage -- use features like Opera turbo, disable images, no video, ad block, etc., etc........or you'd hit 5GB pretty quick.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Last Ride: Have you ever run into the problem where the random number you assigned stops working? Thx.

squirrelproductions

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Just a word of warning regarding trying to use the 5GB plan as replacement for home internet: 5GB really is NOT that much. I setup a local hotspot to tether a Nexus 7. In the course of one weekend, I burned through about 1.2GB -- just on YouTube videos (about 2 hours worth). I can only imagine what a whole household of Netflix-playing, game DLC gulping, and so forth would do with 5GB; I can only imagine that the 5GB would not last that long.

As for using GrooveIP/GV combo, I could never get reliable quality with it. I would hear the other party just fine, but I would hear a lot of "Hello? Hello? Are you there?". I found that Vonage Mobile was a little better with more consistent quality -- on both wifi and HSPA+.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463