3g indicator on Nexus 4 using TMo affiliate?

mmtowns

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
A little bit of context: I previously had an Android (CDMA) phone on a Sprint prepaid carrier. I was used to seeing the "3G" indicator and in rural locations a "1x" indicator.

Yesterday, I received a Nexus 4, installed an iWireless (TMo affiliate) microsim. From what I understand, pink data on their coverage map indicates 4G HSPA, dark green indicates 3G and light green is Edge. I live and work in dark green areas, however my N4 consistently indicates Edge "E" service. SpeedTest indicates ~120k/sec download speeds. When I drive to a nearby city here in Iowa with pink coverage, service changes to "H" and download speeds of 4-5mb/sec.

My question for those of you who use your N4 with TMo or TMo MVNOs - does your phone ever indicate "3G" coverage or is it standard to go from "E" to "H" without anything in between?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
It seems to depend on the carrier and the location. On Tmobile in the Bay Area my phone goes from E to H, but in other parts of the country report seeing 3G on there at the same speeds that show as E for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

mmtowns

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
I am visiting Ankeny, IA and noticed my N4 says I am on T-Mobile (previously said I was on I wireless, which is my current carrier). Indicator says "R" and a radio app says I am going back and forth between 3g and 4g.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362188782287.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362188782287.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 88

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
When I first got my phone, here at home, I would get E and then jump to H when doing something intensive. Now I get 3G as a base speed and it jumps to H. Not sure if that is a network thing or a phone upgrade thing.

djkleric

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am visiting Ankeny, IA and noticed my N4 says I am on T-Mobile (previously said I was on I wireless, which is my current carrier). Indicator says "R" and a radio app says I am going back and forth between 3g and 4g.

What app is that?

awnry

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this issue with an unlocked phone and iWireless. It only shows an E (for EDGE connection) any ideas on how to get it to go 3G/4G?

It seems to depend on the carrier and the location. On Tmobile in the Bay Area my phone goes from E to H, but in other parts of the country report seeing 3G on there at the same speeds that show as E for me.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I get 3G if data not in use and jumps immediately to H+ when data download/upload starts (6-12mbps in my area).

This.

When I was on TMO, it would show 3G when idle but then kick in to H whenever I did something that needed data.

Add another observer for this phenomena... I was going a bit bonkers trying to figure out where my H went all the time and had just came to the same conclusion as the two posters I quoted. N4 idles in 3G for voice and ramps up to H+ for data use.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital