What can I do with a SIM-less Nexus 4?

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
OK. Now I feel dumb. I ordered the Nexus 4 Tuesday, got it Thursday. I ordered a SIM from T-mobile Wednesday, and it won't get here until 2/6. In the meantime, what all can I do with this phone?

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
OK. Now I feel dumb. I ordered the Nexus 4 Tuesday, got it Thursday. I ordered a SIM from T-mobile Wednesday, and it won't get here until 2/6. In the meantime, what all can I do with this phone?

Admire the sparkling backside? It glitters if you hold it just right.

Or there's the tablet thing lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
You can do everything but make calls or receive texts with your phone number. Although there are apps for texting, but you have to use a number they assign you untill your sim comes. Otherwise you can do everything else. I am in the same boat, I still have my Verizon account active, have just been deciding on who to go with now. I have been using my new nexus on wifi for the last few hours. Love it so far, seems way faster and fluid than my galaxy nexus is overclocked with AOKP on it.

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I hope you ordered a micro-Sim

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I realize this is likely a ridiculous question....but I just ordered my nexus 4. I currently have a prepaid lg optimus l9. which, surprisingly is a pretty nice phone. anyways, it's micro-sim. i'm assuming I can just pop my current micro sim into the nexus 4 when I get it in the mail? I've only had tmobile for about 3 weeks. I know It was that easy with att.

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
You can do everything but make calls or receive texts with your phone number. Although there are apps for texting, but you have to use a number they assign you untill your sim comes. Otherwise you can do everything else. I am in the same boat, I still have my Verizon account active, have just been deciding on who to go with now. I have been using my new nexus on wifi for the last few hours. Love it so far, seems way faster and fluid than my galaxy nexus is overclocked with AOKP on it.
That's what I was hoping.

I can (maybe) unlock the bootloader, get on Wifi, get my Google account setup, start downloading apps.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Thats what Ive been doing. Have just been debating whether I should unlock or not. Only reason I did on the Galaxy Nexus was to get the updates Verizon was dragging their feet on. Since this will be updated from Google directly, not sure if I really need it unlocked, yet.

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
in the same boat...anyone else order the t-mobile sim go to track their package and when you click the tracking number the UPS site says you entered an invalid tracking number? whats that about? i know UPS tracking #'s start with 1Z.....but the tracking number given doesnt...so thus i guess UPS doesnt recognize it.

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
If you are near a TMO store, they will give you a free sim card....at least the two I went to offered them.

dang didnt think of that...then again not sure a t-mobile store is all that close, prob cost more in gas for me to drive to one than it cost to actually buy haha

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
in the same boat...anyone else order the t-mobile sim go to track their package and when you click the tracking number the UPS site says you entered an invalid tracking number? whats that about? i know UPS tracking #'s start with 1Z.....but the tracking number given doesnt...so thus i guess UPS doesnt recognize it.
Yes, I have the same problem. In addition, T-mobile sent me a payment confirmation email yesterday that has an order status link, https://my.t-mobile.com/OrderStatus.aspx that requires you to have an account already set up. They need my cell number to start an account, but I don't have one yet.

Nice to see customer service is a priority there. [/sarc]

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
If you are near a TMO store, they will give you a free sim card....at least the two I went to offered them.
I think I'll just wait for the SIM card. In the meantime, I'm going to take the plunge and get root, then set up my accounts, then start up a Google Voice account and port my old cell # there.

Besides, it's really cold outside and I'd rather not leave the house. ;)

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Just got off the phone with ST. I tried to order a micro sim for my N4 to use on AT&T. Guess what, they are out and don't know when they will be back in stock!!!!!! My N4 shipped today. Guess it'll make a great door stop!!

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Just got off the phone with ST. I tried to order a micro sim for my N4 to use on AT&T. Guess what, they are out and don't know when they will be back in stock!!!!!! My N4 shipped today. Guess it'll make a great door stop!!

Or, as others have suggested, a 4 1/2" tablet.

strongergravity

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

They probably generated a shipping label using software & stuck it on the package, but they haven't actually given it to UPS yet, which is why it is not in UPS's computers. Check back the next day.

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Funny story. I've had my Nexus 4 for 2 months without a SIM card because:

1) My last day of my Sprint contract was 12/31/12,
2) But didn't find out that my actual last day of service was the 13th of January, until the last minute
3) Procrastinated calling Sprint until 2 weeks ago when I canceled my service and then asked about the number porting and they said my service had to be active to do that, so I had to cancel the cancellation... I know, ridiculous.
4) Now my last day of service will be Feb 12th, so I will activate my T-Mobile SIM a week before the 12th and then port my Sprint number to Google Voice when my T-Mobile service becomes active.

They really do make you jump through hoops to figure out when your true last day is, or if your bill is prorated when you cancel mid month (it's not), or whether the billing cycle is a month behind or a month forward etcc..

Hopefully T-Mobile prepaid will work out well for me. Anyways lol I got a little off topic.

I've been using my Nexus 4 without the SIM for all the things my phone does except for calls, I use GVoice on my Nexus 4 for texts. I use it as a remote (unified remote) to control my laptop when it's connected to the TV, or to control MediaMonkey when I'm listening to music on my laptop (MM remote). Also was using Youtube remote for my PS3 the other day with my N4. I use google+ messenger to keep up with family. I use the flashlight instead of the one on my phone, because it actually turns on when I want it to.

I do all this with the Nexus 4, not because it's convenient. Because having to charge 2 phones and a Nexus 7 is definitely not convenient. But because my Epic 4g is just too damn slow (w/CM10) in comparison. I haven't had any hiccups on the N4 it's so friggn fluid, definitely the best phone I've owned. And a lot faster and more responsive than my Nexus 7!

I cannot wait this week when I can finally say Goodbye to my old Epic and Sprint. And say Hello, to slashing my bill 2/3's while having the best damn device I've ever owned.

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
They probably generated a shipping label using software & stuck it on the package, but they haven't actually given it to UPS yet, which is why it is not in UPS's computers. Check back the next day.

had been checking for 3 days....it said it was "shipped" the same day i ordered, which isnt out of the realm of possibility since i ordered early in the day. not hard to grab the sim and package it. expected delivery wasnt until monday...but still odd i cant track it.