1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Speed test?

The speed test app on WiFi it works great. When I use the cell network I get this.Speed test?-uploadfromtaptalk1359825799049.jpg

I've read about APNs but I'm clueless about what they mean or how to change them.

why would you not get a Nexus device?
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, Centro(AT&T), Palm Pre Plus(AT&T), Nook Color, HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note(AT&T), Nexus 7 (32), Nexus 4 (16)

Default Re: Sipped test?

Ouch! Something not right there...

I got this in Plano (North or Dallas yesterday) Certainly not LTE but bearable.

go to you tube and look up setting up apn's on nexus. They have have a bunch on getting LTE to work in the phone menus etc, just ignore that part and look at how they put in the APN's. You can get the settings for your network with a simple search.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed test?-screenshot_2013-02-02-13-49-19.png  
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

Default Re: Sipped test?

heard there was a problem with speedtest on Nexus 4 but that should've been patched. Maybe bad APN?

Default Re: Speed test?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    heard there was a problem with speedtest on Nexus 4 but that should've been patched. Maybe bad APN?
    Just got my Nexus today and was getting crappy speeds. Turned to my brother and said how I'm getting rid of it. Phone must of heard me cause then if gave me this in Brooklyn:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Darrkman View Post
    Just got my Nexus today and was getting crappy speeds. Turned to my brother and said how I'm getting rid of it. Phone must of heard me cause then if gave me this in Brooklyn:

T mobile service is extremely spotty. I get no service in plenty of places or terrible data speeds. Depends where you are meaning inside, outside, under a bridge, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Doo-1965 View Post
    The speed test app on WiFi it works great. When I use the cell network I get this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1359825799049.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	58755

I've read about APNs but I'm clueless about what they mean or how to change them.

Dude. Your download speed is 0 mbps. Maybe you should get a new carrier...
    OK, time for the perfect signature.
    5 seconds later...
    Oh what?! Where's the banana?!
    Seriously, we need a banana emote...

Do a search on APN settings and make the changes to the ones listed for your carrier.
    I'm using the sim from my iphone 4S with AT&T iphone 4S data plan...
    had the exact issue you are showing... made the APN changes... and I'm hitting 6 to 10 Mbps avg.

The speed test app on WiFi it works great. When I use the cell network I get this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1359825799049.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	58755

Go into your APN settings and if anything is in the proxy field, erase it. Leave it blank.

Sent from my badass Nexus 4
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Do a search on APN settings and make the changes to the ones listed for your carrier.
    I'm using the sim from my iphone 4S with AT&T iphone 4S data plan...
    had the exact issue you are showing... made the APN changes... and I'm hitting 6 to 10 Mbps avg.
    If u are using straight talk I know that the speed test app won't work unless you delete the proxy part of the APN. everything else works fine with no proxy also. I never use one with straight talk att

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by ryanr509; 02-02-2013 at 03:07 PM.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Deleting the proxy settings to work. Thanks for the help. I'm only getting around 3mb down so further tinkering might be needed.

Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, Centro(AT&T), Palm Pre Plus(AT&T), Nook Color, HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note(AT&T), Nexus 7 (32), Nexus 4 (16)

Deleting the proxy settings to work. Thanks for the help. I'm only getting around 3mb down so further tinkering might be needed.

That's usually what I get about 3 down and 1 up on straight talk att

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darrkman View Post

Hello. Based on the "H" in your screen shot, it appears as though you may be using T-Mobile or one of their MVNOs. I am using iWireless with my N4, a T-Mobile affiliate and my data indicator fluctuates back and forth between "H" and "E" depending on the city I am in. According to the coverage map, I should sometimes be in 4g/HSPA while other times I should be in 3G, however I have yet to see a "3G" indicator on my phone. Is this your experience as well, a lack of 3G indicator, on your phone when using T-Mobile towers?

Quote Originally Posted by mmtowns View Post
    Hello. Based on the "H" in your screen shot, it appears as though you may be using T-Mobile or one of their MVNOs. I am using iWireless with my N4, a T-Mobile affiliate and my data indicator fluctuates back and forth between "H" and "E" depending on the city I am in. According to the coverage map, I should sometimes be in 4g/HSPA while other times I should be in 3G, however I have yet to see a "3G" indicator on my phone. Is this your experience as well, a lack of 3G indicator, on your phone when using T-Mobile towers?
    The H is hspa or hspa+ which is 3g/4g since the nexus doesn't have a manufacturer skin on it it won't show up as 3g or 4g just the H. E is edge which is like 2g

Thanked by:

Speed test?-uploadfromtaptalk1359863989312.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

This should do. Faster then my DSL at home. Thanks for all the help.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed test?-uploadfromtaptalk1359867240971.jpg