Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: Nexus 4 back shattered within 24 hours - not dropped!

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    Jokes on you because you been trolled by the OP.
    Which OP? Me? You still telling me this is BS even with more photos? You still think I'm just inventing this? What's my reason for trolling? Maybe I'm some sort of secret iPhone Fanbio trying to wage a war against the noble N4? Maybe I'm just in denial after I stupidly dropped my phone in some sort of psychotic drop-test? Maybe I just like winding people up for no reason?

Jeesh. Next time I feel like being helpful... I'll remember not to bother posting here.
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by Qbancelli View Post
    No disrespect, but anyone using a phone mostly made of glass naked, without a case or a bumper deserves to have his phone shattered.
    Agreed

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Agreed

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    But you miss the point. I took a "naked" N4 and placed it. You know. Not dropped. Not even slightly dropped. Placed it on a kitchen surface. And the glass shattered.

I think the useful comments on the thread (if you can find them among all the useless ones) have suggested that it could be the temperature difference that caused a defective phone to break.

As I said... I hope this is just one in a million as it would be a shame for others to have this... but if they do, then maybe they will post too and maybe something will get done about it.
    msndrstood likes this.

well, looking at the additional pics i dunno what to think... i guess the back is made of candy glass

For all you people calling BS, this has been reported in the past by one of the editors of a known android blog that the exact e thing happened. I don't remember if it was android central or not but a similar site with a similar situation of setting it down on a counter normally and the back shattered.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    msndrstood and catmeow like this.

it looks kind of cool though.
    pugnuttt likes this.

This is kinda like spontaneous human combustion, just kinda happens... lol

Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    it looks kind of cool though.
    yep. but it's not so nice to hold any more.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    interesting how that one crack at the bottom right goes beyond the glass and continues into the bezel... really gotta pay attention to detail... the rest looked so good.
    Pretty positive that's a piece of hair or fuzz.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mark The Mark View Post
    yep. but it's not so nice to hold any more.
    Yeah and if you touch it i'm going to guess glass sometimes falls out and there are indents and it feels bad. The top left also ruins it as its more white than the rest
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

Seems like someone's blogged about it:
    http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/26...-a-glass-back/

"You know what did it? Setting them down gently onto my room temperature stone countertop. Thats it. The temperature change after it went from my warm hand to a room temperature countertop was apparently enough to split both devices glass backs almost directly down the middle."

Oh well, not one in a million then.
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    Jokes on you because you been trolled by the OP.
    It now appears that our BS expert (or is it full of it) is also an expert on jokes. Well, I sort of have to agree, jd914, you have made a big joke out of yourself on this thread (along with quite a few other experts on BS and jokes).

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Yeah and if you touch it i'm going to guess glass sometimes falls out and there are indents and it feels bad. The top left also ruins it as its more white than the rest
    Thing is, I have to keep picking bits of glass out of my ear - now, that wasn't on the tech specs

Seems like someone's blogged about it:
    http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/26...-a-glass-back/

"You know what did it? Setting them down gently onto my room temperature stone countertop. Thats it. The temperature change after it went from my warm hand to a room temperature countertop was apparently enough to split both devices glass backs almost directly down the middle."

Oh well, not one in a million then.
    Mark,
    You will have a lot of trouble pounding any sense into experts in BS and jokes. It will be interesting, however, to see if any of these BS and joke experts will read the blog that you posted, and then respond so that we can see them trying to clean up on some of that BS that they know so much about.

msndrstood and nofiz like this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Quote Originally Posted by idaute View Post
    Mark,
    You will have a lot of trouble pounding any sense into experts in BS and jokes. It will be interesting, however, to see if any of these BS and joke experts will read the blog that you posted, and then respond so that we can see them trying to clean up on some of that BS that they know so much about.

It's alright just wanted to let people know.
    I've made my point now.
    msndrstood likes this.

Word. Lets see the front.

ROM
    EagleBlood

It's called thermal downshock. It happens when the hot glass is suddenly cooled by a cold surface. It normally happened with granite countertops though so that counter had to be wet and/or super cold. I'm sure the fact that the glass on the back is thin doesn't help either.

I'm sorry that happened to your phone. I would be super pissed if that happened to mine so I can only imagine having it for 24 hours and that happening.
    Thanked by:

YoSaintLaurent,
    It would sure be nice to see some of the BS and joke experts (as well a couple that seem to have extra-sensory ability in knowing when someone else is a liar, and then blatantly calling someone a liar) try to extricate themselves from the hole that they have dug for themselves.

Thanked by:
    John-Smith likes this.

No sudden temperature changes? I've heard that can cause that. Also the surface you put it on wasn't a big temperature difference?
    Nexus 4 (Feb 2013 - Present)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (2011-2013)
    Verizon OG Droid (2009 - 2011)
    ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 (May 2012 - Present)

Interesting...I haven't removed the plastic from my Nexus 4 yet, still haven't put a plan on it yet either. You have me handling it now with even extra care until my cases arrive...

But you miss the point. I took a "naked" N4 and placed it. You know. Not dropped. Not even slightly dropped. Placed it on a kitchen surface. And the glass shattered.

I think the useful comments on the thread (if you can find them among all the useless ones) have suggested that it could be the temperature difference that caused a defective phone to break.

As I said... I hope this is just one in a million as it would be a shame for others to have this... but if they do, then maybe they will post too and maybe something will get done about it.
    I read it, just agreed that I'd keep it in a case

All you people calling the OP a fraud need to chill the f*@# out. The glass that's used in these devices is chemically tempered glass. (This includes Gorilla Glass.) In order to make it stronger, a finished piece of alkali glass is bathed in molten potassium salts, so that smaller sodium ions in the glass get replaced by larger potassium ions. This places the surface of the glass under a large amount of compressive stress. Get it? It's under stress. The only reason why it doesn't break spontaeously is because the stress field is set up in equal and opposite directions. Any tiny microscopic flaw in the glass can result in propagating cracks. Also, the glass can be over tempered, resulting in too much stress, making the glass more vulnerable to this kind of thing. So the situation that the OP described is quite feasible.
    [/science][/compassion]

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts

A long time ago at a Mercedes dealership I was trying to repair a door window. The glass would fall out of a U shaped channel. The fix was a new piece of rubber to go between the glass and steel U channel. I struggled with it for quite some time using various lubes silicone ect. I gave up and carried the window into the service managers office. While I was standing there talking about the trouble I was having the window shattered and crumbled in an instant. So I believe this could happen..
    Banned

I have never had a product bring me so much joy every single day just because I didn't buy it.
    msndrstood likes this.

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

I don't have anything great to add but I do remember all the threads from when people first got their phones and said to myself " my naked phone is not going to be placed on a cold surface! " and it hasnt. I since have gotten a case but gotta be extra careful with these glass devices.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast