Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Default Re: Nexus 4 back shattered within 24 hours - not dropped!

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I have never had a product bring me so much joy every single day just because I didn't buy it.
    Very helpful.

OP had a bad piece of glass. It didn't matter how OP treated the phone. It was going to shatter eventually.

Getting a case for a Nexus 4 is a good idea. On the other hand, I doubt that a case would have kept that piece of glass from eventually breaking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,124 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I have never had a product bring me so much joy every single day just because I didn't buy it.
    And the relevancy of YOUR reply is.....

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    It broke by itself in front of your eyes? You know no one is going to believe that. I say BS.
    This has been reported before, from respectable sources. Since there is no down-vote button, I hereby un-like and un-thank your post!
    Thanked by:
    idaute 

A piece of treated glass put under pressure and tension will eventually shatter as we see in the pics. The spider webbing looks too uniform to be from one point of impact. I have heard of this happening to car wind shield put on incorrectly and the pressure shatters them after hitting a small bump etc.

A case would not have help here but I agree the N4 is case worthy if you want to keep it intact. Just my .02 cents.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

Pretty sad how many petty posts were made in this topic.
    Thanked by 2:

To the OP. That sucks.

A number of years ago I worked installing custom railings on decks and patios. Some of them required tempered glass panels. We were installing some glass panels on a hot day and we lost about q out of 8 panels that day. They would spontaneously shatter, likely due to sitting in the hot sun and getting it stalled into relatively cool aluminum channels.

I'd agree with others... Either temp shock, or a manufacturer defect. I hope Google steps up and helps you out

Sent from my rotary phone
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
    Number 6 and liljew like this.

Sorcery!
    idaute likes this.

Global Posts
    11,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Let's keep the discussion civil. If you don't care for the thread, then don't post. If you believe a post is inappropriate, then hit the report button. Thanks.

Sent from my SGSIII
    Thanked by:

Sorry to hear about it, but at least google is accepting a return and not shafting you. Glass is not a perfect material (far from it), it's subject to defects in craftsmanship and installation. I think you just got a bad piece of glass is all, and I would hope you don't feel "burned" by crazy random chance.

For what it's worth though, I don't think I would buy a phone with a glass back.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Wow, after reading the OP and Droid-Life Blog I am a bit concerned. It's almost a necessity to have a full protective case on day one to protect the back. It's unfortunate that this happened in such a short time frame after receiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Qbancelli View Post
    No disrespect, but anyone using a phone mostly made of glass naked, without a case or a bumper deserves to have his phone shattered.
    Don't be ridiculous, I'd love to not have to use a case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my S3

Global Posts
    11,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

As I've said before, if you don't care for this thread, feel free to move on instead of posting. Do not take this thread off topic again.

Sent from my SGSIII

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by NotJustAPhone View Post
    As I've said before, if you don't care for this thread, feel free to move on instead of posting. Do not take this thread off topic again.

Sent from my SGSIII
    Wow. I'm surprised by the insensitivity and distrust in this thread. Kinda crazy. I haven't had any issues with my phone but certainly feel for you. The cracking of that glass certainly looks very different to anything I've seen before. Sorry you had the issues Mark. You should get another phone. Your situation is not the norm.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Wow, after reading the OP and Droid-Life Blog I am a bit concerned. It's almost a necessity to have a full protective case on day one to protect the back. It's unfortunate that this happened in such a short time frame after receiving.
    Don't be. This was a freak accident, likely caused by a defect in the glass panel and possibly exacerbated by temperature shifts. There are hundreds of thousands of Nexus 4s out there. If this really was a problem we'd know by now.

<- Proud to carry a naked Nexus 4.

unlucky, the back looks kinda cool cracked like that but i wouldnt want it for mine. Best of luck.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  

Hey thanks for all the positive stuff coming out now. Good to see that if you google "nexus 4 and shatter" you get this thread top hit!

One other thing I should mention is that the charging cable was in the phone at the time... in fact the complete story is that it was charging, then I picked it up to check a text and reply... for about 2 mins....then I put it back on the surface to continue charging that that's when it shattered (as you can see, certainly not badly treated!!!)

So... don't know if there's any electrical influence going on here. Probably not, but worth mentioning anyhow.

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Mark The Mark View Post
    One other thing I should mention is that the charging cable was in the phone at the time... in fact the complete story is that it was charging, then I picked it up to check a text and reply... for about 2 mins....then I put it back on the surface to continue charging that that's when it shattered (as you can see, certainly not badly treated!!!)

So... don't know if there's any electrical influence going on here. Probably not, but worth mentioning anyhow.
    Electrical influence? Probably not, but to me that definitely points to a temperature fluctuation as the root cause. The battery can get hot when charging, and if you had a fault in the battery and/or the glass those two problems could have snowballed. As someone mentioned earlier, it sounds like you just got a bum unit that was doomed to fail at some point.

Angry Re: Nexus 4 back shattered within 24 hours - not dropped!

Brought my N4 when they came back in stock, last week, it arrived on Friday, had no problems, today I was playing Temple Run 2, phone got very hot so i quit the game then i noticed one hairline crack on the back, after more use later on the same thing happened, and then repeated itself again, i now have 3 cracks on the back of my panel without dropping it once! Called up LG and they said its been reported a lot of times but they're not treating it as a common fault so it's not under warranty, and was told to call Google, after struggling to give my details to the caller i was then put on hold for ages, where i eventually gave up waiting. Disappointed in the N4 build faults such as the ear piece constantly making interference noises.

Defective units? Now I'm worried to get my unit hot. *sigh*

I'm sure if this was anywhere near a common occurrence there would be articles about it at this point. (Unless I just haven't seen them.)

That's what I was thinking. Still worried.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Aengus Longmire View Post
    Brought my N4 when they came back in stock, last week, it arrived on Friday, had no problems, today I was playing Temple Run 2, phone got very hot so i quit the game then i noticed one hairline crack on the back, after more use later on the same thing happened, and then repeated itself again, i now have 3 cracks on the back of my panel without dropping it once! Called up LG and they said its been reported a lot of times but they're not treating it as a common fault so it's not under warranty, and was told to call Google, after struggling to give my details to the caller i was then put on hold for ages, where i eventually gave up waiting. Disappointed in the N4 build faults such as the ear piece constantly making interference noises.
    I've played Temple Run 2 for long stretches at a time with no problems. Phone gets warm, but not any more so than when using other apps heavily. I also have no ear piece distortion. Just goes to show most problems are not universal. Try talking to Google again, you could probably get an RMA for the earpiece noise if nothing else.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #74  

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    I'm sure if this was anywhere near a common occurrence there would be articles about it at this point. (Unless I just haven't seen them.)
    Google "nexus 4 shatter" - there are quite a few. Bear in mind only a tiny fraction of people can be bothered to post about the problem also.

Another thing that's starting to annoy me - the RMA - here in the UK at least, I have to wait for Google to send me packaging before I can send back the phone... well, despite getting an email saying I'd get the packaging "within 4 working days", 5 days later... no packaging. I called them back and the support guy said they were experiencing lots of demand so that was actually "at least 4 days" and probably up to 2 weeks.

So, firstly, why do they then say "within" when they mean "at least", and why are they having so many RMAs that they can't stick to their original SLA.

Not impressed
    Last edited by Mark The Mark; 02-08-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    There are articles ...

spoke to google again and they should hopefully be replacing my handset!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast