1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Default Google Play downloading music to device automatically

I just got the nexus 4 and I realize that anytime I upload a music track to Google Play I see it downloading on my phone. It says keeping requested music but I didn't request it to be kept. Anyone know why this is happening? I thought Google Play streamed the music.
    Last edited by rasstar; 02-02-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Default Re: Google Play downloading music to device automatically

It will put music on your phone at your request. To the right of the song or album icon, there is a grey circle. If you push that button, it turns into a safety pin, telling Play to keep those files on the device. If you see the safety pin next to an album or artist icon, just push the button and it will allow the files to be overwritten on your phone.

Play will also cache your recently played music on your phone, depending on how much memory you have. If you want it to stop doing that, you can go into Settings/Automatically cache and uncheck the box. If you want to see what music is on your N4, touch the bar at the top that says All music and select On device only (unless it already says On device).

yup what he said. I was confused because it said temporarily cache but its kind of permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by rasstar View Post
    I just got the nexus 4 and I realize that anytime I upload a music track to Google Play I see it downloading on my phone. It says keeping requested music but I didn't request it to be kept. Anyone know why this is happening? I thought Google Play streamed the music.
    i came across the the very same problem, exactly as you describe it.....i notice that it happened after i did an update on the google music player on my phone along with a few crashes..I uninstalled the update and all is well, back to the older google music player for now. I hope someone here has an answer to the issue.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFM1204 View Post
    It will put music on your phone at your request. To the right of the song or album icon, there is a grey circle. If you push that button, it turns into a safety pin, telling Play to keep those files on the device. If you see the safety pin next to an album or artist icon, just push the button and it will allow the files to be overwritten on your phone.

Play will also cache your recently played music on your phone, depending on how much memory you have. If you want it to stop doing that, you can go into Settings/Automatically cache and uncheck the box. If you want to see what music is on your N4, touch the bar at the top that says All music and select On device only (unless it already says On device).
    Music begins to download without me doing anything. I didn't even play the track. On my PC I transfer a track to google play then I see it downloading on the phone.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Fixed it by uninstall then re-installing the update.

Thanks for the explanation. Finally got all the pieces lined up and making sense. And have selected several songs to 'keep' andthat's worked fine. Painfully slow (as it was to get my Play Music library setup in the first place from iTunes), but all good!

One question - these songs that I have pinned to keep on my device. I know they are there because the Play Music app tells me (On Device), I can play them when not connected to the Internet etc. But where are they?? I went looking in the Music folder on Internal Storage, but that's empty. (when I had previously used Easy Phone Tunes app to sync my iTunes playlist, this is where the physical files were placed).

So now I'm confused again.

If you look in the 'android' folder then data, there may be a folder called com.Google.android.music? I don't use the app so I don't know for sure but I know there is a video file and a Google keep file in there. Have a look.

That folder exsists, but is empty. I'm using Astro File Manager - hope it's not filtering stuff.....