Is pinch-to-zoom still an issue with the N4?

iamblob

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Thinking of purchasing one and I've been following all the issues with the phone. But nobody seems to be discussing one of the first problems with it, the pinch-to-zoom response. I remember reading that someone was able to replace the touch sensor driver with an older version and made it much better. Do you still have to do that or did Google fix it with an update? Or were there any other developments with the issue, such as it being a hardware problem, etc. If so has it been addressed in the new revision devices?

On a side note, I've been seeing a bunch of people complaining about yellow spots or yellow tinting. I've seen people say it should go away with time, as it's the bonding glue, which needs to cure. Makes sense, since the new batches seem to be getting into customers hands very quickly from the factory. Just wondering if anyone has actually had the yellow problems, and can confirm that they go away with time?

Thanks

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I've never heard of, nor had any pinch zoom issues. That's completely foreign to me. The yellowing I have heard of, and I can only assume to be faulty screen units. That also is something I never experienced on my device. Its not a 'Nexus 4' issue.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Never had the pinch to zoom problem here. Ive Heard of the yellowish coloring.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard of, or had, a pinch to zoom problem.

I've heard of the yellowing issue, and have seen photos of it. Not a problem with mine.

PhilSterBoy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
What are you guys talking about? On my Nexus 4 zooming on the Google Chrome browser is not really responsive, i need to move my fingers further apart then normal for it to start zooming. I'm pretty sure this is a known issue.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
This is definitely an issue. Maybe not a major one, but it's there. Someone said the issue was likely due to the touch censor being in the glass, and not likely fixable by software. It's only a slight lag when pinching to zoom really.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Don't assume that isolated incidents reposted on the internet are anything but exceptions and outliers.

This is a fantastic phone, just get it. You'll love it. And of you happen to get one of the rare defective units, Google will replace it quickly and painlessly.

palitsyn

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
What are you guys talking about? On my Nexus 4 zooming on the Google Chrome browser is not really responsive, i need to move my fingers further apart then normal for it to start zooming. I'm pretty sure this is a known issue.

Yep, it's there on all of them. It only starts to zoom in when your fingers are about 1" apart. I believe this would be a software issue. The driver theory does make sense.

palitsyn

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Don't assume that isolated incidents reposted on the internet are anything but exceptions and outliers.

This is a fantastic phone, just get it. You'll love it. And of you happen to get one of the rare defective units, Google will replace it quickly and painlessly.

Yeah, It is a great phone. But the question was wether the zoom issue was still present and it is there. I have tried A LOT of N4's (friends and store units) and they all have it.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Its nothing that bothers me too much but yes it is there. Really weird. Brings me back to like my HTC hero days

iamblob

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Sorry forgot that it seemed to only affect Chrome. Should have mentioned that in OP. About the yellow spots and tinting, I think the none of the earlier batches had this, it seems like only the ones just coming out, due to lack of time to cure, or maybe because Google/LG started producing more in a rush due to all the complaints of it being out of stock. Anyway thanks for all the responses.

PhilSterBoy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This is definitely an issue. Maybe not a major one, but it's there. Someone said the issue was likely due to the touch censor being in the glass, and not likely fixable by software. It's only a slight lag when pinching to zoom really.

I think it can be fixed by a software update. The pinch to zoom works fine in Firefox

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I think it can be fixed by a software update. The pinch to zoom works fine in Firefox

It works fine in both Chrome, and Dolphin browser. However there is a slight lag. Seems like it's not as responsive as my SIII. Not enough for me to worry, but I've seen it pointed out in a few video reviews.

palitsyn

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

That is interesting! Installed Firefox and pinch to zoom works as one would expect. It seems like all the stock apps I would use the pinch to zoom function in have the issue (chrome, email and gallery). It only starts to zoom in when the fingers are about 1" apart.

I wouldn't say it's a major problem, but is slightly annoying. But I am glad it's a software issue.

Vasito2

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Its really pathetic how ppl try to defend this phone. "Oh its rly good oh just buy it, oh small issue"

Open your eyes. You have to move your fingers 2 cm before the stupid phone registers a pinch to zoom.

More importantly its not just in Chrome. Its in Gmail. Its in the Gallery. Its everywhere.

Firefox though doesn't have this problem. Just download it and see for yourselves instead of ****in lying and ignoring an obvious problem.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Its really pathetic how ppl try to defend this phone. "Oh its rly good oh just buy it, oh small issue"

Open your eyes. You have to move your fingers 2 cm before the stupid phone registers a pinch to zoom.

More importantly its not just in Chrome. Its in Gmail. Its in the Gallery. Its everywhere.

Firefox though doesn't have this problem. Just download it and see for yourselves instead of ****in lying and ignoring an obvious problem.

If you don't like the phone just get a different phone. No need to cry about it. I already know about the dead zone, so when I zoom in, I start with my fingers already spread a bit, so I experience no delay. Not a biggie thing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk