Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    So here in Iowa, I have read that TMobile coverage is best. The next best is Straight Talk, but I guess the coverage has me worried....

    What are my options coverage wise? And what would I have to get SIM card wise, with respective carries?

    Spent about an hour trying to figure this out, and have just gotten a head-ache. So I guess I'm just hoping someone can help me out!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    Quote Originally Posted by DShepard55 View Post
    So here in Iowa, I have read that TMobile coverage is best. The next best is Straight Talk, but I guess the coverage has me worried....

    What are my options coverage wise? And what would I have to get SIM card wise, with respective carries?

    Spent about an hour trying to figure this out, and have just gotten a head-ache. So I guess I'm just hoping someone can help me out!
    You will need a micro Sim card.and straight talk uses T-Mobile towers or AT&T towers. It should let u pick when u go to buy a Sim card on their website. Or u should just be able to go down and grab a micro Sim card from a T-Mobile store and pick what plan u need and be good to go

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    You will need a micro Sim card.and straight talk uses T-Mobile towers or AT&T towers. It should let u pick when u go to buy a Sim card on their website. Or u should just be able to go down and grab a micro Sim card from a T-Mobile store and pick what plan u need and be good to go

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    If I went with Straight Talk, I could grab the SIM card from T-Mobile store... Then get the plan off their site?

    EDIT: Sorry if I sound stupid, I am- It's 3 AM and my head-ache isnt helping haha
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    Quote Originally Posted by DShepard55 View Post
    If I went with Straight Talk, I could grab the SIM card from T-Mobile store... Then get the plan off their site?

    EDIT: Sorry if I sound stupid, I am- It's 3 AM and my head-ache isnt helping haha
    I am pretty positive if u would need to get the Sim card from whichever service provider u are going to use. So if u want straight talk u need to get it from straight talk. If u are going to use the T-Mobile plans u should get the Sim card from the T-Mobile store.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    I am pretty positive if u would need to get the Sim card from whichever service provider u are going to use. So if u want straight talk u need to get it from straight talk. If u are going to use the T-Mobile plans u should get the Sim card from the T-Mobile store.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Ah, I see haha...

    I guess what Straight Talk has me worried about, is their Android smartphone coverage isnt that good... Right?



    - - - Updated - - -

    Well, I guess this explains that post^....

    Does that sound about right?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    Quote Originally Posted by DShepard55 View Post
    Ah, I see haha...

    I guess what Straight Talk has me worried about, is their Android smartphone coverage isnt that good... Right?

    http://img.tapatalk.com/4b7723bd-5579-3862.jpg

    - - - Updated - - -

    Well, I guess this explains that post^....

    Does that sound about right?
    Depends which Sim card u get. U can get one that runs off of AT&T or tmobile. And u should get the same exact coverage as what u would get at the T-Mobile/AT&T store. Straight talk might not have as good of roaming though

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    Depends which Sim card u get. U can get one that runs off of AT&T or tmobile. And u should get the same exact coverage as what u would get at the T-Mobile/AT&T store. Straight talk might not have as good of roaming though

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Ah, gotcha. In that case, I'd prolly want a T-Mobile SIM....

    Could you explain roaming, if you know? It charges for data used, even with an Unlimited plan?

    (I ask, because at this point, if I could find then answer on Google, then I wouldn't ask haha)
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    Quote Originally Posted by DShepard55 View Post
    Ah, gotcha. In that case, I'd prolly want a T-Mobile SIM....

    Could you explain roaming, if you know? It charges for data used, even with an Unlimited plan?

    (I ask, because at this point, if I could find then answer on Google, then I wouldn't ask haha)
    So roaming would be if u had T-Mobile and were in a T-Mobile dead zone then u would be running off of att towers while the T-Mobile coverage wasn't available. U would have to check with our provider/plan to see if there is unlimited roaming and data roaming or they would charge u up the *** when/if u are roaming

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    So roaming would be if u had T-Mobile and were in a T-Mobile dead zone then u would be running off of att towers while the T-Mobile coverage wasn't available. U would have to check with our provider/plan to see if there is unlimited roaming and data roaming or they would charge u up the *** when/if u are roaming

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Gotcha... Apparently Straight Talk isn't selling SIM cards atm... That might be a problem haha

    I guess that leaves me with just T-Mobile? Or do you know of any other carriers I can look into- that might use T-Mobile towers?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    Quote Originally Posted by DShepard55 View Post
    Gotcha... Apparently Straight Talk isn't selling SIM cards atm... That might be a problem haha

    I guess that leaves me with just T-Mobile? Or do you know of any other carriers I can look into- that might use T-Mobile towers?
    Ya I saw that. U can order the straight talk Sims off of Walmart.com. u can check out simple mobile,solevai. T-Mobile plans are pretty good and cheap themselves. They have a 100minute unlimited text 5gb of data plan for $30

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    Ya I saw that. U can order the straight talk Sims off of Walmart.com. u can check out simple mobile,solevai. T-Mobile plans are pretty good and cheap themselves. They have a 100minute unlimited text 5gb of data plan for $30

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Yeah, I saw that $30 plan, and I've read some people have gotten Google Voice to work- so they don't have to worry about the minutes. I have also read that T-Mobile makes this difficult, do you know anything about it?

    EDIT- Well, T-Mobile themselves don't have service in my area... Of course haha.... So I guess its Straight Talk, and I'll have to order SIM off there lolol
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    Quote Originally Posted by DShepard55 View Post
    Yeah, I saw that $30 plan, and I've read some people have gotten Google Voice to work- so they don't have to worry about the minutes. I have also read that T-Mobile makes this difficult, do you know anything about it?

    EDIT- Well, T-Mobile themselves don't have service in my area... Of course haha.... So I guess its Straight Talk, and I'll have to order SIM off there lolol
    Not to sure as I'm using straight talk ATT. Ya when u order the Sim through straight talk it should give u the option of T-Mobile or att. Then make sure to get a micro Sim when u pick which carrier u want to use

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    Not to sure as I'm using straight talk ATT. Ya when u order the Sim through straight talk it should give u the option of T-Mobile or att. Then make sure to get a micro Sim when u pick which carrier u want to use

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Awesome, thanks man! You have been a lot of help
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    You cannot currently buy AT&T sims from Straight Talk. They stopped selling them just a week ago. Currently, their only purchase choice is SIMs that give T-Mobile service. Straight Talk will still let you use an Straight Talk AT&T sim, though, if you get one from Walmart which is currently the exclusive seller of Straight Talk SIMS that give AT&T service. You can buy the SIMs from walmart.com, and a few Walmart stores also have them. (some stores only sell straight talk phones and refill cards, but not the sims.)
    Straight Talk AT&T Compatible Micro SIM Card

    Definitely check the coverage map at T-Mobile's website. For me, I found it to be extremely accurate when I tried T-Mobile. Much more than AT&T's coverage map which I;ve found is a little too "liberal" sometimes.

    If you don't need to use that many voice minutes, I'd go directly with T-Mobile and get their $30 plan 100 minutes / 5GB plan. That price can't be beat. I'd only get T-Mobile service from Straight Talk if you need the unlimted voice minutes that Straight Talk give you for the $45 price.
    If you go direct through T-Mobile, they'll let you voice roam (but not data roam). Straight Talk won't really let you roam at all. (Some people have found they can roam in some areas with Straight Talk, but that's the exception, and not the norm.)
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    Quote Originally Posted by DShepard55 View Post
    I guess that leaves me with just T-Mobile? Or do you know of any other carriers I can look into- that might use T-Mobile towers?
    I've been very happy with Solavei. (T-Mobile MVNO). I believe the only roaming is what they call "domestic roaming" which is onto one of their service partners. The places this happen are the striped areas of the coverage map when zoomed in - this roaming is included but data is limited to 2g. No service means no service.


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ask me about Solavei.
  16. #16  
    mmtowns's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

    Default Re: Pre-Paid Service and SIM Question

    Quote Originally Posted by DShepard55 View Post
    So here in Iowa, I have read that TMobile coverage is best. The next best is Straight Talk, but I guess the coverage has me worried....

    What are my options coverage wise? And what would I have to get SIM card wise, with respective carries?

    Spent about an hour trying to figure this out, and have just gotten a head-ache. So I guess I'm just hoping someone can help me out!
    I live in Iowa, too, and from my research AT&T has better coverage than T-Mobile when it comes to data. For example, I am trying out iWireless for the first month with my N4. In many smaller towns (my town has a population of ~5,000), T-Mobile has Edge data service whereas my wife is using a ST (AT&T) sim with her iPhone and she has 3G. Needless to say, I plan to switch to ST AT&T after this month is up. On the flip side, some of the larger cities (i.e. Des Moines metro area, Cedar Rapids) have 4g service via T-Mobile.

    I encourage you to check out the coverage maps to compare for yourself, but thought I'd share my experience as a fellow resident of the Hawkeye state!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-03-2014, 12:16 AM
  2. Which is the best pre-paid service for the Nexus?
    By saintforlife in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 09:46 PM
  3. Difference between pre-paid and post-paid service.
    By sonicresidue in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM
  4. Google Wallet Pre-paid card and ROM Installation
    By simplerlife in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 08:11 AM
  5. No service, and another question??
    By billcosby41 in forum HTC myTouch 4G
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2011, 05:52 PM

Posting Permissions