My Miracast Experience

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
So last week I had an idea.

I have the Netgear PTV 2000 that I bought a year ago with my laptop and haven't used in several months. I noticed that I could sell it on amazon for a decent price, and then pick up the PTV 3000 and see what happens.

So I sold my old PTV 2000 and after fees/shipping I got $42 for it and then I went ahead and bought a used/like new PTV 3000 for $48.

So I got an upgraded model for just $6 thanks to all the bad reviews on amazon for the PTV 3000 (Mostly people who can't figure out how to set it up with Windows 8)

The review that made me get this adapter was this one " Works flawlessly with Windows 8 but not right out of the box. Read for tweaks., January 12, 2013"
He basically tells you EVERYTHING you need to do in order to get it to work in his post.

It took me about 30 minutes or so to get everything set-up properly and have my phone connect to the PTV3000. Most of that time was searching google for the beta firmware.

Here is a link to the firmware so you don't have to go through the trouble of searching:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4h5xjopesk44vjz/PTV3K_V2.2.6.sbin

And here is a quick video test of it in action.
Nexus 4 - PTV 3000 Miracast - YouTube

Let me know if you would like another video, that was just something quick I put together.

kobradroid

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Looks pretty nice in action. Have you tried streaming anything in hd that you've purchased from Google play? Also can you send a video and then use your phone separately so the screen isn't mirrored while the video is playing?

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Looks pretty nice in action. Have you tried streaming anything in hd that you've purchased from Google play? Also can you send a video and then use your phone separately so the screen isn't mirrored while the video is playing?

Hmm I haven't actually bought any video from google play, but I think I have the free Transformers Movie somewhere in there.

And I don't think that second thing can be done. I'll try the transformers movie out though.

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
How do you start streaming/miracast from Android? Do you have to go into settings?

It's under display settings, all the way at the bottom it says "wireless display".

I'll try and get some video an HD youtube video and also some music today.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
my tv isn't that old, but it makes me want to go out and buy a new one that has this feature when they become available.

Next, I want to see a sort of laptop without a computer inside that has a bluetooth keyboard and miracast display to make a wireless laptop out of my nexus.

Last edited:

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I tried making the video and for some reason it would disconnect me from the connection after about a minute and I had to restart a couple times and it is still having a problem. Really weird since it was working perfectly fine a couple days ago. Maybe the problem is that the PTV3000 has been connected the whole time, the unit is tiny and very hot. Unfortunately it doesn't have an on/off button like the previous version.

But I just read a review and apparently I can connect it to the USB port on my TV for power. So that whenever my TV is off the unit off. I think this might help (if heat is the problem).

I'll let the thing cool down and then I'll try again later.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis