Android development lag

boparunsxc

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
The one thing that I do not like about this phone is that almost no app devs (at least the ones that make the apps I use) have updated since the release of 4.2. What irks me is that once a new iOS version comes out, pretty much all apps are updated within a month. Its been three months since android 4.2 was released, where is my support?! Granted, most apps do work on the phone, but dimensions, speed, etc. are off. I know that programming for android is more complicated than iOS because of the huge number of varying devices, but I would have hoped to see more app updates supporting 4.2 by now. Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
What apps are you using? Pretty much all the apps I use have been updated since the release of 4.2.

boparunsxc

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
The main ones (reason for my complaint) are US Bank (dimensions) and Zynga poker (no screen rotation, crashes a lot). Its not unbearable, just annoying.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360083212580.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360083212580.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 105

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The main ones (reason for my complaint) are US Bank (dimensions) and Zynga poker (no screen rotation, crashes a lot). Its not unbearable, just annoying.

Sounds like a bank issue. My bank apps are updated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

boparunsxc

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, got the typical "thanks for your interest, we're working on a fix" lol

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
the US bank example is an example of a poor developer who didn't build the app to scale resolutions. There are a few apps like that.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

US bank app was updated Jan 16th, since then this bug was introduced. I was using US bank app before the 16 update and had no issues.
so its not a matter of 4.2 issue but bank publishing a buggy app.

boparunsxc

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
US bank app was updated Jan 16th, since then this bug was introduced. I was using US bank app before the 16 update and had no issues.

I've had the issue since owning my N4 in late November.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

It's likely your device's resolution matched up with the application so that you didn't experience the scaling problems. The US Bank application's reviews mention problems with scaling (density-dependent scaling; too small on some devices and too large on others), force closes when making deposits and photographing checks, and failing to recognize correct passwords. I went back as far as four months and continued seeing these issues mentioned in almost all reviews.

Unfortunately, as wunderbar said, the problem here is that US Bank has a developer with quite poor Android development practices. There are only two solutions that come to mind: first, just wait until the issues are eventually resolved, and second, hope that US Bank notices the reviews and trouble being caused by their poor application.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had the issue since owning my N4 in late November.

It's likely your device's resolution matched up with the application so that you didn't experience the scaling problems. The US Bank application's reviews mention problems with scaling (density-dependent scaling; too small on some devices and too large on others), force closes when making deposits and photographing checks, and failing to recognize correct passwords. I went back as far as four months and continued seeing these issues mentioned in almost all reviews.

Unfortunately, as wunderbar said, the problem here is that US Bank has a developer with quite poor Android development practices. There are only two solutions that come to mind: first, just wait until the issues are eventually resolved, and second, hope that US Bank notices the reviews and trouble being caused by their poor application.

maybe i didn't notice it before. i definitively noticed it after the update.
maybe i was wrong

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
While nowhere near as important as a Bank application, the SpeedTest.net application does not scale up on the Nexus 4 either.

Maybe I am just unlucky the but the developers that I have contacted regarding application issues, either never write back or just say a fix is in the works but never seem to deliver that fix.

The only time I ever got a response back a meaningful from a developers was after emailing someone higher up within the company and than only did the developer contact me and explain what is going on and what was being done to fix it.

Dan

qkhang

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Its doesn't seem that that's a 4.2 update fix, but more of a resolution fix. This seems is somewhat of a control to keep the images from scaling to fit the screen. By forcing it to not scale, it will look the same on most screens bigger or larger. However, the developer probably just forgot the tell the application to center itself when the screen is larger than the set screen size of the app. Kind of like speed test app, doesnt matter how big the screen is, it stays the same size, part lazy, part control.