Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By yfan
  • 1 Post By greydarrah
  • 1 Post By minnemike
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android development lag

The one thing that I do not like about this phone is that almost no app devs (at least the ones that make the apps I use) have updated since the release of 4.2. What irks me is that once a new iOS version comes out, pretty much all apps are updated within a month. Its been three months since android 4.2 was released, where is my support?! Granted, most apps do work on the phone, but dimensions, speed, etc. are off. I know that programming for android is more complicated than iOS because of the huge number of varying devices, but I would have hoped to see more app updates supporting 4.2 by now. Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

Default Re: Android development lag

What apps are you using? Pretty much all the apps I use have been updated since the release of 4.2.

Omar_Saleh likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

The main ones (reason for my complaint) are US Bank (dimensions) and Zynga poker (no screen rotation, crashes a lot). Its not unbearable, just annoying.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Android development lag-uploadfromtaptalk1360083212580.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by boparunsxc View Post
    The main ones (reason for my complaint) are US Bank (dimensions) and Zynga poker (no screen rotation, crashes a lot). Its not unbearable, just annoying.

Sounds like a bank issue. My bank apps are updated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

Have you tried emailing the developers of the apps you're having issues with?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Ry likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yes, got the typical "thanks for your interest, we're working on a fix" lol

Time to change banks! And then interview prospective banks if they are 4.2 compliant. lol

the US bank example is an example of a poor developer who didn't build the app to scale resolutions. There are a few apps like that.

US bank app was updated Jan 16th, since then this bug was introduced. I was using US bank app before the 16 update and had no issues.
    so its not a matter of 4.2 issue but bank publishing a buggy app.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    US bank app was updated Jan 16th, since then this bug was introduced. I was using US bank app before the 16 update and had no issues.
    I've had the issue since owning my N4 in late November.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    It's likely your device's resolution matched up with the application so that you didn't experience the scaling problems. The US Bank application's reviews mention problems with scaling (density-dependent scaling; too small on some devices and too large on others), force closes when making deposits and photographing checks, and failing to recognize correct passwords. I went back as far as four months and continued seeing these issues mentioned in almost all reviews.

Unfortunately, as wunderbar said, the problem here is that US Bank has a developer with quite poor Android development practices. There are only two solutions that come to mind: first, just wait until the issues are eventually resolved, and second, hope that US Bank notices the reviews and trouble being caused by their poor application.

I've had the issue since owning my N4 in late November.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumenii View Post
    It's likely your device's resolution matched up with the application so that you didn't experience the scaling problems. The US Bank application's reviews mention problems with scaling (density-dependent scaling; too small on some devices and too large on others), force closes when making deposits and photographing checks, and failing to recognize correct passwords. I went back as far as four months and continued seeing these issues mentioned in almost all reviews.

Unfortunately, as wunderbar said, the problem here is that US Bank has a developer with quite poor Android development practices. There are only two solutions that come to mind: first, just wait until the issues are eventually resolved, and second, hope that US Bank notices the reviews and trouble being caused by their poor application.
    maybe i didn't notice it before. i definitively noticed it after the update.
    maybe i was wrong

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts

While nowhere near as important as a Bank application, the SpeedTest.net application does not scale up on the Nexus 4 either.

Maybe I am just unlucky the but the developers that I have contacted regarding application issues, either never write back or just say a fix is in the works but never seem to deliver that fix.

The only time I ever got a response back a meaningful from a developers was after emailing someone higher up within the company and than only did the developer contact me and explain what is going on and what was being done to fix it.

Dan

Its doesn't seem that that's a 4.2 update fix, but more of a resolution fix. This seems is somewhat of a control to keep the images from scaling to fit the screen. By forcing it to not scale, it will look the same on most screens bigger or larger. However, the developer probably just forgot the tell the application to center itself when the screen is larger than the set screen size of the app. Kind of like speed test app, doesnt matter how big the screen is, it stays the same size, part lazy, part control.

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    Time to change banks! And then interview prospective banks if they are 4.2 compliant. lol
    lol could you imagine

Ry

Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

Yes, got the typical "thanks for your interest, we're working on a fix" lol

You're not going to get a hard date from them.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums