Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Putting music on nexus 4 (Mandatory credit card)

Ok, so I plug it in, nothing pops up. I go to google play website, and it says I have to enter a credit card to access google music. So, I can't even get to google music without giving them credit card details. This really frustrates me, because I feel I should not have to supply a credit card simply to put music on the device I've already purchased from them. I have no interest in purchasing any music, I just want to put music I already have on the device. I just spent a little while on the phone with google support, spent about 75% of the time on hold, and could get no answers. He told me to clear all my cache and see if that helps? I have no idea why cache would make them quit asking for my credit card; I don't think he had any idea why it would either.

Any help?

Thanks everyone.

Global Posts
    1,156 Global Posts

Default Re: Putting music on nexus 4 (Mandatory credit card)

So, when you plug it in and go to "My Computer" you don't see it listed?

I rooted my wife's phone, connected via USB to my MacBook Pro and mounted the phone as a drive. Once I did this I simply transferred her music to her phone that she wanted. Did not have to interact with Google Music at all.
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thisfnguy View Post
    Ok, so I plug it in, nothing pops up. I go to google play website, and it says I have to enter a credit card to access google music. So, I can't even get to google music without giving them credit card details. This really frustrates me, because I feel I should not have to supply a credit card simply to put music on the device I've already purchased from them. I have no interest in purchasing any music, I just want to put music I already have on the device. I just spent a little while on the phone with google support, spent about 75% of the time on hold, and could get no answers. He told me to clear all my cache and see if that helps? I have no idea why cache would make them quit asking for my credit card; I don't think he had any idea why it would either.

Any help?

Thanks everyone.
    What kind of computer do you have?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I believe he is asking about the cloud service.
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I believe he is asking about the cloud service.
    The thing that makes me think he isn't is his first sentence.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Lol. I think you may be correct.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist

Lol. I think you may be correct.

I'm guessing he has a Mac. The usual response when you plug in an ICS or higher device into one is usually 'WTF'.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    I'm guessing he has a Mac. The usual response when you plug in an ICS or higher device into one is usually 'WTF'.

Does that mean they don't just work?

Android Evangelist

Default Putting music on nexus 4 (Mandatory credit card)

Does that mean they don't just work?

No, it means that google is intentionally using a method that they know macs don't support. Sort of like what they've been doing to windows phone with their services.

Any help?

Thanks everyone.
    I'm not clear on exactly what you're doing, could you give us some specific details like what kind of computer you're using, how you connected it to the N4, where your music is stored, etc?

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

No, it means that google is intentionally using a method that they know macs don't support. Sort of like what they've been doing to windows phone with their services.
    And I assume Blackberry also falls into this category. It sounds like a conspiracy.

Android Evangelist
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

correct i plug it in and nothing happens. so do i have to root the phone to put music directly on it? does rooting void then warranty?

PS it is a Mac

Try the suggestion in this thread.... http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...mac-print.html

ps, not sure why you needed to enter a credit card to use Google Music, maybe you need to have a Google Play account first?

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

correct i plug it in and nothing happens. so do i have to root the phone to put music directly on it? does rooting void then warranty?

PS it is a Mac
    The Mac is the problem. You can try a few apps to transfer, but I believe Airdroid is great for this. I've used it on my pc and it's great. Works on a Mac too. But JHBThree may know more on this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....sand.airdroid

Android Evangelist

The Mac is the problem. You can try a few apps to transfer, but I believe Airdroid is great for this. I've used it on my pc and it's great. Works on a Mac too. But JHBThree may know more on this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....sand.airdroid

Air droid is slow. The problem is that android stopped supporting mass storage and instead chose to support mtp, which limits its functionality to windows PCs (without additional software) since mtp started life as a proprietary windows media protocol.

And I assume Blackberry also falls into this category. It sounds like a conspiracy.

When Google says they have no intention to support a platform with apps, and then breaks other services so they no longer work, conspiracy isn't a strong enough word.

Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

If i cant figure this out soon i'm just gonna put my sim back in my jitterbug and keep using my zune for music this is frustrating

Global Posts
    1,156 Global Posts

download this Android.com
    copy that to your applications folder and it will allow you to transfer files.
    This is what I did when mine arrived yesterday (Mac here too)

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Air droid is slow. The problem is that android stopped supporting mass storage and instead chose to support mtp, which limits its functionality to windows PCs (without additional software) since mtp started life as a proprietary windows media protocol.

Okay so is there a better solution? They are just wanting to copy a few things so even if it's slow and it works then I think it's a solution.

Android Evangelist

Go to 'my computer' and selected 'nexus 4'. This should bring up all of the folders inside your phone. If you go to the music one you can drag and drop your music onto it. If 'nexus 4' doesn't show up go into settings on your phone, under storage. Select the top right three dots and select MTP. that should sort it all out

It does work with Android file transfer, I don't know what you mean? everything works with my mac.

PS it is a Mac
    No use android file transfer. and then move the music to the music folder, I do't know why you guys are giving OP wrong info?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bananaleigh View Post
    Go to 'my computer' and selected 'nexus 4'. This should bring up all of the folders inside your phone. If you go to the music one you can drag and drop your music onto it. If 'nexus 4' doesn't show up go into settings on your phone, under storage. Select the top right three dots and select MTP. that should sort it all out
    He has a Mac not a windoze......

Lightbulb Re: Putting music on nexus 4 (Mandatory credit card)

If you have a Nexus 4 and and a mac computer and want to transfer files (like a mass storage device) than a Mac users need to go to Android.com/filetransfer/ and install the filetransfer app onto their computer. Also on your nexus phone go to settings by swiping the top black bar (with the battery and wifi icons) downwards and select the little whit icon with the person surrounded by square dots, then choose "Storage", inside storage, select the three dots at the top right and make sure you have "MTP" ticked.

Once I transfered music to the music folder I fiddled around with my google play player and it showed up.
    Last edited by ATrenholm; 06-09-2013 at 09:27 AM.