Nexus 4 Contacts Issue

JeromeCeee

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I have recently purchased a Nexus 4 in Australia and synchronized my contacts through Google, but it will not recognise text messages sent from people in my contact list that numbers are saved as 04*****, it needs a +61 to identify there names, any suggestions for a fix rather then manually editing my contact list to +61 for all.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have recently purchased a Nexus 4 in Australia and synchronized my contacts through Google, but it will not recognise text messages sent from people in my contact list that numbers are saved as 04*****, it needs a +61 to identify there names, any suggestions for a fix rather then manually editing my contact list to +61 for all.

I don't know of a quick fix for that issue; the system can sometimes be rather picky on identifying contacts.

Manually adding the country code prefix shouldn't be too hard, in theory, if you use the Google Contacts desktop site. Export the entire list as a .csv file, and open it in Microsoft Excel (or similar spreadsheet application). There should be a way to relatively easily insert that at the beginning of all phone number fields, but I'm not familiar enough with Excel to give you precise instructions, unfortunately. Finally, on the Google Contacts site, delete all existing contacts, then use the 'Import' option to import the modified .csv file with the properly-formatted numbers.

Perhaps someone else can offer a solution for incorrectly recognizing the numbers in the first place?