Phone shows incorrect time and time zone

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I live in the Central time zone. Yesterday, around 5:30 PM I noticed my phone suddenly showed the time as being 6:30 PM. I rebooted the phone and it again showed the correct time. However, just a few minutes ago, the same thing occurred. The phone has shown the correct time all day, and around 5:30 I look down and the time has jumped an hour ahead. I again rebooted the phone and the correct time was shown.

When the time is shown CORRECTLY, the phone shows me as being in the Central time zone. When the time is INCORRECT it shows me as being in the Eastern time zone. I found this by going to Settings>System>Date & Time.The faded option labeled "Select Time Zone" shows Central when the time is correct, but Eastern when the time is incorrect. In every instance, "Auto Date and Time" and "Auto Time Zone" are checked, as they should be, in this menu.

I do not know if this is a network or phone issue. I am on T-Mobile, and have been for one month. Search has dug up instances of this on other devices, but not root cause was found.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you in a border area between the two zones? You could be jumping between a tower which is configured as Eastern time and another set as Central. I would sometimes have similar issues when roaming even though well inside the Eastern zone.

Probably the only solution will be found by playing with the various time setting options.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
You can just change your time settings. If you go to settings>date and time> uncheck automatic date&time, uncheck automatic time zone. Then change the date and time to what it is where you are.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You can just change your time settings. If you go to settings>date and time> uncheck automatic date&time, uncheck automatic time zone. Then change the date and time to what it is where you are.

Yeah I know but I shouldn't have to do that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

rozzie35

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I have had this same problem for the past two months. After repeated calls to Sprint, this is a network problem......nothing is wrong with your device. Sprint is doing massive updates on their network system and the random time change is a resulting problem. Not sure when these updates will be corrected however, for me, this issues is annoying. My contract is up in July with Sprint and if this issue is not corrected by then, my 15+ years with Sprint will be over. Good luck to you and me.