Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gone down south
  • 1 Post By Daktron
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Error message; No SIM card. Emergency Calls only.

Hi guys.

8G. 2 days old. Completely stock, not rooted or anything. Using Solavei for phone service.

No SIM card. Emergency Calls only.

My phone is suddenly displaying this message. I have turned the phone off, turned it back on, tried turning airplane mode on and off, and even removed the SIM card and reinstalled it. All to no avail.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this. The phone was fine and was lying on my bed when I heard a chime and picked it up to see the message.

Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Default Re: Error message; No SIM card. Emergency Calls only.

Did you cut the sim card into a micro?
    I had mine cut and it wasn't working, worked for 5 minutes then lost it, popped it back into my old blackberry and worked
    had to go to Wind (my carrier) to get a new micro-sim card
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes it was cut.

Is this a common problem? I didn't have this problem when I cut a SIM card in South Africa....

Obviously it was cut badly, just get it replaced.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I love when experts weigh in.

My SIM card doesn't work. Neither do several other SIM cards that work in other peoples phones. Or the one at the phone booth in the big box store, that worked flawlessly in its display before, and after, inserting it in my phone, where it did not work.

[sarcasm]So, obviously, my SIM card was cut badly, right? [/sarcasm]

I doubt this needs to be mentioned, but the N4 will not recognize a newly inserted card until the phone reboots. Your best and safest option is to put the phone in "Power off" mode first (turn phone on, hold power button for several seconds until menu appears, select Power off), insert the SIM card, and then boot the phone (hold power button about 5 seconds until haptic feedback, then release; phone will boot up).

Quote Originally Posted by neanderth4l View Post

My SIM card doesn't work. Neither do several other SIM cards that work in other peoples phones. Or the one at the phone booth in the big box store, that worked flawlessly in its display before, and after, inserting it in my phone, where it did not work.

Thanks for providing those important details up front. :-P

raremage likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    I doubt this needs to be mentioned, but the N4 will not recognize a newly inserted card until the phone reboots. Your best and safest option is to put the phone in "Power off" mode first (turn phone on, hold power button for several seconds until menu appears, select Power off), insert the SIM card, and then boot the phone (hold power button about 5 seconds until haptic feedback, then release; phone will boot up).
    I will try your specific method.

I have tried resetting the phone, and only reinstalling the SIM card when it prompts for a SIM card but that hasn't worked.

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Thanks for providing those important details up front. :-P

Those important details had not yet been tried when this thread was first started, but I thought a "badly cut SIM card" was eliminated by the fact that the SIM card worked flawlessly for nearly two days before giving up the ghost.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    No change.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Default Solved.

New SIM card came in. Same error message.
    Reset SIM card. Same error message.
    Placed phone in airplane mode and back on. Same error message.
    Turned off phone and turned back on. Same error message.
    Hard reset of phone. Same error message.
    Turned off phone, forgot it was off and turned it back on. EUREKA. Phone service back on.

So, new sim card + patience= results.

I don't know which particular step caused it to work. When I turned the phone off and when I put it in airplane mode, it was for about a minute, with no effect. When I forgot to turn it back on, It was because a friend called me on my old phone and i was distracted for about 5 minutes, and only remembered to turn it back on at the end of my conversation.

Solavei; excellent customer service.
    Last edited by neanderth4l; 02-16-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Clarification.

Default Re: Solved.

I got this error message. I went to the Verizon store. They replaced the SIM card at no cost/hassle. That resolved the problem. I think my SIM card must have been defective.
    gloamin likes this.

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

And where exactly did you say that? I can't see it... If you don't want an expert you could just ask some random guy on the train.... And if you do want an expert after all then they work better with facts.

sir my note 2 showsemergencycall only

Default Re: Solved.

New SIM card came in. Same error message.
    Reset SIM card. Same error message.
    Placed phone in airplane mode and back on. Same error message.
    Turned off phone and turned back on. Same error message.
    Hard reset of phone. Same error message.
    Turned off phone, forgot it was off and turned it back on. EUREKA. Phone service back on.

So, new sim card + patience= results.

I don't know which particular step caused it to work. When I turned the phone off and when I put it in airplane mode, it was for about a minute, with no effect. When I forgot to turn it back on, It was because a friend called me on my old phone and i was distracted for about 5 minutes, and only remembered to turn it back on at the end of my conversation.

Solavei; excellent customer service.
    Sounds to me like you may have a phone with intermittent issues. It may never happen again, or it may happen tomorrow. Personally I'd call / contact Google and see of they will replace the phone.

This assumes that fiddling with your SIM in other phones never results in any issues.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

I have experienced this issue in the past. All you have to do is completely turn off the phone for 3-5 minutes and then turn it back on. Everything should work fine, the radio just needs a complete disconnection from the tower. This is probably what happened when you left your phone off for 5 minutes and it came back to life. Hope this helps others, if it doesn't do the trick I'd advise rooting and installing an updated radio image file or simply sending the phone back to Google for replacement.

Yes it was cut.

Is this a common problem? I didn't have this problem when I cut a SIM card in South Africa....
    I wouldn't trust a cut sim card, and I work in the electronics field. A slight error in alignment when cutting can cause intermittent problems. Not worth it in my opinion. A new card is pretty cheap.

Same problem here. That's come when I charge the battery, or when i sollicit it a lot. When happened, sometimes a reboot is suffisent, and sometimes i can't get it back for one day(I let him alone in a corner of my bed, and come retry later). Just annoying.. Original simcard, not cutted. Not rooted or flashed or anything else. Seems this problem is very rare, so unlucky, that was a present.

my Samsung phone is showing me no sim and emergency call only. i have tune off the phone still is showing me the same. how can i solve this problem .

i'm having exactly the same problem now....it seems on happen only on the nexus 4. It's not my sim card because i put my sim card in my brother's Moto g and it works. I put it back in my nexus 4 and it does not work. I put my brother's sim card in my nexus 4 and it don't work either. So it's either something with the hardware, or my aokp installation (qhich worked for 1 year flawlessly and had not problem till today with this problem!)