Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question how to make GPS persistently lock on?

    how to make the nexus 4 GPS persistently lock on to satellites? because on the nexus 4, GPS would lock on only if you are in a maps app, but if you exit, say if you press home or go check your music player, then it would lose the lock. it would have to re-lock when you re-enter the maps app. this is very annoying. on the iphone, once the GPS is locked on, then it's persistently locked on, regardless if you are in home screen, maps app, or whatever. it only loses lock if you turn off gps. how to fix this on the nexus 4?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: how to make GPS persistently lock on?

    wouldnt this drain your battery in 4-5 hours?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: how to make GPS persistently lock on?

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    wouldnt this drain your battery in 4-5 hours?
    and how would if i shut off the gps after i use it? you nake it like im going to use the gps for hours. i usually only use it for 30 mins to 1 hour to check some loactions and it's very annoying when i switch from a map app to check my messages or change songs and when coming back to the maps apps, having to relock on to satelittes again. there is an app called keep my gps alive or something like that but that didnt work for me
  4. #4  

    Default Re: how to make GPS persistently lock on?

    Do you have other location services disabled. Your performance including re-acquisition would be much better with all location services enabled.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: how to make GPS persistently lock on?

    Mine gets a GPS lock in 1 second or less, so I've never viewed it as an issue. I've got no idea how to change that short of writing your own app. The only time I'm using GPS that I might leave the screen with plans on returning, is when I'm using navigation while driving. Sometimes I might switch to a different screen to look at something else, but when I go back to navigation, it's still there, tracking my trip. I've never seen it having to re-acquire a GPS lock. Forgive me if I'm not understanding what your problem is.

    There is an app called GPS Test that shows all the satellites your hooked up to. You might be able to launch that and leave it running in the background.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  6. #6  

    Default Re: how to make GPS persistently lock on?

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Mine gets a GPS lock in 1 second or less, so I've never viewed it as an issue. I've got no idea how to change that short of writing your own app. The only time I'm using GPS that I might leave the screen with plans on returning, is when I'm using navigation while driving. Sometimes I might switch to a different screen to look at something else, but when I go back to navigation, it's still there, tracking my trip. I've never seen it having to re-acquire a GPS lock. Forgive me if I'm not understanding what your problem is.

    There is an app called GPS Test that shows all the satellites your hooked up to. You might be able to launch that and leave it running in the background.
    mine too GPS lock is 1-2 sec for me. with Nexus S it was like 20 seconds
  7. #7  
    sting7k's Avatar

    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,247 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

    Default Re: how to make GPS persistently lock on?

    Quote Originally Posted by jinjin12 View Post
    how to make the nexus 4 GPS persistently lock on to satellites? because on the nexus 4, GPS would lock on only if you are in a maps app, but if you exit, say if you press home or go check your music player, then it would lose the lock. it would have to re-lock when you re-enter the maps app. this is very annoying. on the iphone, once the GPS is locked on, then it's persistently locked on, regardless if you are in home screen, maps app, or whatever. it only loses lock if you turn off gps. how to fix this on the nexus 4?
    My Nexus 4 seems to take about 1 second to get a new GPS fix from any app or when moving to any app that may use GPS. So sounds like yours has some issue.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: how to make GPS persistently lock on?

    If I'm in a building like the T-Mobile call center I work at, GPS takes forever to lock on and sometimes it just searches forever until I leave the building

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  9. #9  

    Default Re: how to make GPS persistently lock on?

    Quote Originally Posted by jinjin12 View Post
    and how would if i shut off the gps after i use it? you nake it like im going to use the gps for hours. i usually only use it for 30 mins to 1 hour to check some loactions and it's very annoying when i switch from a map app to check my messages or change songs and when coming back to the maps apps, having to relock on to satelittes again. there is an app called keep my gps alive or something like that but that didnt work for me
    I'm not sure but if you used the app Glimpse to send yourself your location that might force a persistent gps lock.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ask me about Solavei.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 08:16 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2012, 01:43 AM
  3. How to make a Nandroid backup on the Droid 2
    By Crossfire503 in forum Droid 2 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 09:54 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 05:16 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 11:32 PM

Posting Permissions

B