Video recording quality - how to change?

LionMG

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I just received my Nexus 4 and I'm trying to switch the video recording quality from 720 HD to 1080p. It won't let me change the video recording quality option when inside the default camera app.

It has 3 options: Time Lapse, Video Quality and Store Location. Video Quality says "HD 720p" and I can't select it.

My brother has a stock Nexus 4 (some of the original batch - mine is from the latest batch) and he can change the video quality to 1080p or less than 720p.

Any idea why I can't?

Bought from Google Play store. I'm updated to Android 4.2.1.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you using front facing camera? front facing camera don't support 1080p. it would be the same for your brother too.
change it to back camera and that option will come up.

front facing camera is just 1.3 mp

Last edited:

LionMG

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No, back facing. I found I could switch the setting only when I'm holding it in landscape mode...

I'm a bit paranoid that I have an iffy device now :-\

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
In landscape or portrait mode, I can set video resolution to "HD 1080p", "HD 720p", or "SD 480p" for the rear-facing camera. Only the latter two settings are available for the front-facing camera.

LionMG

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes I have my brother's Nexus 4 and when holding it vertically I can switch the option. But not with mine... I press the option but it won't open. I have to hold it horizontally to get the other settings.

- - - Updated - - -

I can switch it while holding horizontally... so I dunno, think I should RMA still? :/

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I just did a test... I can change it in landscape to 1080 and then in portrait, it stays 1080. Maybe try changing it first and then see if it stays when in portrait.

LionMG

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Apparently in order to RMA I have to order a new phone and wait the 2 to 3 weeks for it to arrive, while having both phone charges on my credit card?

Awesome. :-\

LionMG

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's stock though - I just got the phone today and updated to 4.2.1, that's it.

My brother's Nexus 4 is 4.2.1 as well and doesn't have this glitch.

Maybe a dead spot on the touch screen when in portrait? I can switch the "Time Lapse" and "Store Location" options just fine though..

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
It's stock though - I just got the phone today and updated to 4.2.1, that's it.

My brother's Nexus 4 is 4.2.1 as well and doesn't have this glitch.

Maybe a dead spot on the touch screen when in portrait? I can switch the "Time Lapse" and "Store Location" options just fine though..

POST a SCREENSHOT
you can touch anywhere on the strip to change it so if its a dead spot then it should be across the length of the phone.
Its not a dead spot imo

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings -> Apps. Swipe left twice until you are viewing the "All" list. Scroll down to Gallery and tap.

Tap Force Stop and Clear Cache. I would like to tell you to Clear Data also, but I am not certain if that refers to photos (which you may not want to lose) so don't do it unless you don't have anything you care about in the Gallery.

Return to the Home screen and retry the Camera app. Any change?

LionMG

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Tried that and no luck. :( Tried a factory reset too.

Weird that if I turn it upside vertically, I can change the setting....

Ugh, I don't know whether to RMA or not.

Go to Settings -> Apps. Swipe left twice until you are viewing the "All" list. Scroll down to Gallery and tap.

Tap Force Stop and Clear Cache. I would like to tell you to Clear Data also, but I am not certain if that refers to photos (which you may not want to lose) so don't do it unless you don't have anything you care about in the Gallery.

Return to the Home screen and retry the Camera app. Any change?

Jerfer

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

I just tested mine and I can change video quality to 1080p in portrait mode. It's weird that you can't.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

you turned it upside down and it worked. not that confirms that its not hardware issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish