Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default T-Mobile Data Speed Optimization

My apologies if I've missed an applicable preexisting thread, but I couldn't find one.

I recently got a 16 GB Nexus 4 (from the Jan. 29th batch of orders), and have activated it on T-Mobile's prepaid $30 a month unlimited data plan.
    I live in the Chicago area, where I enjoy fairly widespread HSPA+ coverage, and, if I'm to believe articles like this , band 4 LTE coverage as well.

So far, without modifying any APN or other network settings, I've been getting download speeds between 10 and 20 Mbps depending on my location.
    I understand that these speeds are really quite good, and for basically all my purposes, quite sufficient.

However, I'm not satisfied with "sufficient". I'm curious to see just how fast I can get my download speeds, or if there's some way to more consistently get higher speeds, that'd be great too.

So, 2 questions:

1. Are there any APN modifications I can make to improve the speed of my t-mobile connection?

2. What exactly is the truth about the Nexus 4 and band LTE, as we currently understand it? Is it possible in any way to get LTE connection?

Thanks in advance for the advice...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-Mobile Data Speed Optimization-2013-02-07-15.32.28.png  
    Last edited by royalpig180; 02-07-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Added speedtest screenshot

Default Re: T-Mobile Data Speed Optimization

1. Not particularly. You can decrease speed pretty easily :-P but you're getting about the best you can

2. Tmobile MAY turn LTE on later this year, but it's not available now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by royalpig180 View Post
    My apologies if I've missed an applicable preexisting thread, but I couldn't find one.

I recently got a 16 GB Nexus 4 (from the Jan. 29th batch of orders), and have activated it on T-Mobile's prepaid $30 a month unlimited data plan.
    I live in the Chicago area, where I enjoy fairly widespread HSPA+ coverage, and, if I'm to believe articles like this , band 4 LTE coverage as well.

So far, without modifying any APN or other network settings, I've been getting download speeds between 10 and 20 Mbps depending on my location.
    I understand that these speeds are really quite good, and for basically all my purposes, quite sufficient.

However, I'm not satisfied with "sufficient". I'm curious to see just how fast I can get my download speeds, or if there's some way to more consistently get higher speeds, that'd be great too.

So, 2 questions:

1. Are there any APN modifications I can make to improve the speed of my t-mobile connection?

2. What exactly is the truth about the Nexus 4 and band LTE, as we currently understand it? Is it possible in any way to get LTE connection?

Thanks in advance for the advice...
    Can you please post your APN settings? I am in Chicago, and I have not seen those speeds yet.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    Can you please post your APN settings? I am in Chicago, and I have not seen those speeds yet.
    Sure thing. These are still the default APN settings from the t-mobile prepaid SIM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-Mobile Data Speed Optimization-2013-02-07-16.48.31.png   T-Mobile Data Speed Optimization-2013-02-07-16.48.38.png   T-Mobile Data Speed Optimization-2013-02-07-16.48.43.png  
    Thanked by:

Sure thing. These are still the default APN settings from the t-mobile prepaid SIM.
    The only difference I had was "APN Type" is "not set." Do you know what difference that would make?

I went by these settings from T-mo website: APN settings for data and picture messaging (MMS): Android Support | T-Mobile

There is nothing you can do to force yourself into a faster connection. It just depends on where you are and how much of that bandwidth is being used when you run your test. As far as the LTE stuff goes, this is not an LTE phone. I believe (though not being an engineer that has disassembled my phone) that although the LTE radio is in the N4, it's missing some critical components like a signal amplifier. If that's true, you might get LTE if you stand under an LTE tower. However, there is some guy here on the forums, that will certainly chime in momentarily to tell you it has everything it needs..so who knows. Personally, I have no interest in it getting LTE, mostly because LTE is a know battery slayer. The radio technology has not caught up to the signal technology yet. I'm sure it will...right about the time they come out with 5G. For me, Tmo H+ is as fast as I need a connection to be, so I'm thoroughly satisfied with the phone, as is.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

The only difference I had was "APN Type" is "not set." Do you know what difference that would make?

I went by these settings from T-mo website: APN settings for data and picture messaging (MMS): Android Support | T-Mobile
    I have no clue what that difference would be. I tried a few different configurations that I found online and ran 3 speed tests each.
    I attached the data I got.

There was definitely a difference. Some of that could obviously have been fluctuations in traffic or other factors not accounted for by these settings, but make of this what you will. Sorry the text is a little tough to read...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-Mobile Data Speed Optimization-apn-experimentation.jpg  

I have no clue what that difference would be. I tried a few different configurations that I found online and ran 3 speed tests each.
    I attached the data I got.

There was definitely a difference. Some of that could obviously have been fluctuations in traffic or other factors not accounted for by these settings, but make of this what you will. Sorry the text is a little tough to read...
    You don't need to make 3 APN changes to get 3 different results, just run 1 APN 3 times and you might get a variance of anywhere from 2 to 5 mbps. I'd just pick your favorite APN and start enjoying your phone. Regardless of what your speedtest results are, I doubt you'll actually notice a difference using the browser.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    1. Not particularly. You can decrease speed pretty easily :-P but you're getting about the best you can

2. Tmobile MAY turn LTE on later this year, but it's not available now.

Lte will be available for 200 million people by end of 2013 on T-Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    There is nothing you can do to force yourself into a faster connection. It just depends on where you are and how much of that bandwidth is being used when you run your test. As far as the LTE stuff goes, this is not an LTE phone. I believe (though not being an engineer that has disassembled my phone) that although the LTE radio is in the N4, it's missing some critical components like a signal amplifier. If that's true, you might get LTE if you stand under an LTE tower. However, there is some guy here on the forums, that will certainly chime in momentarily to tell you it has everything it needs..so who knows. Personally, I have no interest in it getting LTE, mostly because LTE is a know battery slayer. The radio technology has not caught up to the signal technology yet. I'm sure it will...right about the time they come out with 5G. For me, Tmo H+ is as fast as I need a connection to be, so I'm thoroughly satisfied with the phone, as is.
    Are you actually getting H+ in your signal bar? I have only seen H on my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Moto X assembled in the USA!!

Are you actually getting H+ in your signal bar? I have only seen H on my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    No, it only displays H, 3G when not using data and H when transmitting.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    No, it only displays H, 3G when not using data and H when transmitting.
    Depends on your carrier and SIM. I'm on T-mobile value unlimited and mine shows H at idle and H+ when needed during an active data session.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by mwilkins View Post
    Depends on your carrier and SIM. I'm on T-mobile value unlimited and mine shows H at idle and H+ when needed during an active data session.

That's not H+, it's H with up and down arrows indicating data transmission ;-)