Nexus 4 wifi connectivity and battery issues

Sikandar Khan

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I've had the Nexus 4 for a week now and I've faced quite a few problems already:

1) My phone doesn't connect to the wifi network (even though the wifi info is saved) until I turn off wifi from the setting and turn it back on. I called up google support and they said that's how the manufacturer designed the phone so you will have to do this every time you move in to a new wifi zone. If you have any complaints about this please contact LG.
2) The battery life is too short- it hardly lasts 12 hours and that too with minimal use. I asked the guy on the support line how I can improve battery consumption and he's like use the app manager to shut down apps. When I asked him how to get to app manager he's like this is how I do it on my android phone, don't know how you do it on the Nexus 4 cos I haven't used it!!
3) Quite often when I try to enter the unlock pattern on the lock screen, it doesnt recognize any touch and I have to keep tapping the screen until it finally comes to life.
4) Apparently android beam on the nexus 4 is not compatible with android beam on the samsung galaxy 3. I tried transferring pics from/to a couple of S3s and it wouldn't accept files from them (or rather it would accept the file but couldn't open them saying "file not found") and when I tried sending one of the S3s accepted it and with the other one I got a msg saying "the recepient's phone does not support transfer of large files").

I was really excited about my new N4 but now with all these problems I'm quite disappointed- more so after the response I got from the help line. Is anyone else facing similar issues and/or help me fix them?

wewewi

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
1) I dont really understand what are your expectations here.. The N4 probably doesnt auto-reconnect when change zone because the wifi isnt constantly scanning the available networks.. which is a good thing.. you know, to save battery.. And it's meant NOT to auto-switch because people expect a stable connection even if they are in a zone with more than one accessible network. That's pretty obvious, in fact.

2) Disable GPS, NFC and auto-brightness (default is ON) -- TURN OFF WIFI when you leave a Wifi zone! (You may want to put a power widget on your home screen to save clicks.) Do not use Live wallpapers (Like the default one). Do not auto-upload photos on cloud services like Dropbox or Facebook. Stay away from LTE. (I'm an Canada) =)

3) Try Face Unlock!? =) Or maybe a PIN code.. You may find this less frustrating.

4) Samsung Galaxy devices have this "souped-up" Android Beam functionality that they boldly called "Galaxy Beam" (or is it S Beam?.. Anyway), which kind of uses BOTH NFC and Wifi Direct to handle big files tranfers such as pictures or videos, but sadly, its a proprietary protocol.
Not to be mistaken with the regular/REAL Android Beam available on other NFC-enabled Android 4.1+ devices.
You can beam web links, contact cards.. That kind of short string information. Nothing more than a very few kb's. = Upload (manually) your pics and vids on a cloud service THEN beam the address.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:
May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello Sikhandar,

I exactly had same issues with my Nexus-4. Its only 5 days up I have bought this phone and I am so frustrated because I sold my iphone (Which was working Beautifully) to buy this Nexus.
It also has issues connecting to bluetooth on my car.

I haven't called the manufacturer yet, but I would save my time not calling them looking at your messege.

rserda

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I've had my phone for about 2 months or so.. I get about 1.5 days on a charge.. WIFI on constant with a Live Wallpaper.. no problems.. my GS2 was lucky to get 6 HOURS.. with a NEW battery (that was a waste of $35!?!?)

My WIFI will transition to an existing connection as I move from location to location.. if it's my home wifi.. it auto connects.. anywhere else, it asks to logon to a new connection.. that's how wifi works.. unless it's wide open.. (public hotspot with no authentication required).. I've no problem to date with that.

Seems like a very solid phone.. very happy with it.. will never go back to a carrier phone!!! ;)

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I have WiFi issues as well. It takes multiple tries before it connects to a saved network. But the battery seems fine to me.

Posted via Android Central App

mamutarka

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I have WiFi issues as well. It takes multiple tries before it connects to a saved network. But the battery seems fine to me.

Posted via Android Central App

How much screen time do you get? When Im on wireless I get 5 hours, but on 3 G I get much less..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2