24 hours with my Nexus 4: my complaints/Qs

solidsponge

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I have also come from iOS,part of a quality easy to use operating system is reducing clicks and presses, so far my nexus is back in the dark ages in the lock screen. It is a flaw because people enter their phone thousands of times.

IPhone 4 digits, phone opens. 4 digits is enough for a bank card so its enough for a phone.

Nexus digits then OK, for a year of doing (or more depending on how long you use phone) this its very cumbersome.

Still the worst thing is iOS used to pop up a text with persons name on, screen comes on, swipe and pin = show message, such a slick user journey. Nexus does not have these small features, it needs them as they make using the phone a hundred times better because you're clicking less. Repetitive tasks are boring for everyone.

Needs to improve, it is actually starting to get to me as I use phone to text mainly and to have so many things to do is cumbersome. Lots of the message apps are really horrid designs as well.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Uh what...I tried a iPhone 5 out and find it to be more of a pain to use then my Nexus 4, guess I'm just an Android user.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have also come from iOS,part of a quality easy to use operating system is reducing clicks and presses, so far my nexus is back in the dark ages in the lock screen. It is a flaw because people enter their phone thousands of times.

IPhone 4 digits, phone opens. 4 digits is enough for a bank card so its enough for a phone.

Nexus digits then OK, for a year of doing (or more depending on how long you use phone) this its very cumbersome.

Still the worst thing is iOS used to pop up a text with persons name on, screen comes on, swipe and pin = show message, such a slick user journey. Nexus does not have these small features, it needs them as they make using the phone a hundred times better because you're clicking less. Repetitive tasks are boring for everyone.

Needs to improve, it is actually starting to get to me as I use phone to text mainly and to have so many things to do is cumbersome. Lots of the message apps are really horrid designs as well.

Have you tried using the lockscreen message widget? I don't use it but you should try it. Then you can enter your text messaging straight from lockscreen. I use chomp as my texting app, very customizable, has options to turn on the screen with incoming texts. The lockscreen widget works with stock message app.

I also find the pattern to unlock way easier and quicker than the pin option.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
For speed dial, long press a homescreen and select shortcuts, then direct dial, or direct message if you want texting, pick your contact and voila, speed dial. Make a homepage full of them if you wish

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
whitespace8497 said:
On stock Android? This doesn't work for me? If I long press a homescreen I just get the option to change the background.

Sorry, it may be different for stock launcher. You may need to open your app drawer and swipe to widgets, there will be one called direct dial/ or direct message then it will let you chose the contact. A bit more work as you will have to go in and do it instead of long pressing, but the same result.

sepandee

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

OP here. After using Android for more than a month now, I can say the pin issue is no longer an issue :) You get used to pressing OK. It's not a big deal.

As for having your messages appear even when the screen is locked, I'm sure there are ways to do it. Like someone said, you can add a widget that can be used when the screen is locked. One reason why I love my Android is because I'm not constantly getting pop-ups. All the notifications go in one place and are displayed in the tray on the top-left corner. It's making my life more peaceful.

I also find the pattern to unlock way easier and quicker than the pin option.
The problem with pattern is that if you lose your phone, someone can easily find your pattern by looking at your screen from eye level.

On stock Android? This doesn't work for me? If I long press a homescreen I just get the option to change the background.
Go to your apps, then widgets, find Direct Dial and hold it, then drag it to your homescreen or wherever.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
i use APW app in Play Store. It adds many useful widgets including People widget, where you can just add your favorite people. Hope this helps.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
OP here. After using Android for more than a month now, I can say the pin issue is no longer an issue :) You get used to pressing OK. It's not a big deal.
I agree. It's like pressing SEND after dialing a phone number. We didn't have to do that with rotary phones but it's second nature now.

shahali

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
For the pin lock screen question. That's actually a security feature. a PIN can be however many characters you want so making you press OK when you're done is part of the security. When guessing you have to know how long the PIN is along with the actual PIN itself.

And really, is having to press OK that big a deal?

Yes it was for me as well....! I now think of OK as a 5th button!. Because i came from iOS i felt this was an extra hoop i had to jump through BUT now that you mention that the password can be any digits long it makes sense. iOS was only 4 so it automatically opened or denied access..!

ALSO WRT the op i had similar gripes and still do BUT when i use my iphone (given to my wife) i realise how great and far 4.X has come.

shahali

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Also USE CHOMP for the ability to reply to messages in app and also from the lock screen. I have Exchange securiity policy so this RESTRICTS most of the lock screen features but you can get apps that do help.

Any suggestions for a clean, better dialler app with smaller favourite lists?

ALSO it makes me laugh when i see iphone Zealots and what's even more funny is android fanboys who don't even realise they are fanboyz...! Typically if you make a comment or comparison about a poor feature or a lacking features in Android then they instantly jump down your throat or become sarcastic. I'm pretty intelligent, (I can see lots of sarcasm coming now!) but there are many issues i have with Android, coming from a iPhone 4... But with time i have overcome them. Some may sound really stupid like the "OK" button, but i too found this an issue, until someone on this thread explained why its a security feature!

I try to emulate the best featuures i had on my iphone with the apps available on android. Lets not forget i could only use my iPhone Jailbroken and features released in iOS 6 i had when running iOS3 with jailbreak tweaks!. Even the quick reply features in iOS was available a few years before via jailbreak apps.

Lets not be too sarcastic and lets not jump down peoples throats if they appear to be stupid or make comments that we do not agree with. Often a clear explanation enlightens and makes the experience better. Coming from another phone and using a Android device is like using your left hand when you were used to your right hand and vice versa. I recall getting withdrawals (Metaphorically) when i changed from iPhone 4 to Nexus...!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21