Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Default Moving iPhone (3gs) Contacts to Nexus 4

I've read many posts and web info on moving my contacts from my old iPhone (3GS) to my new Nexux 4 (arriving Monday). Still confused!

I have made a .vcf file of the iPhone contacts and saved it to my desktop.

What do I do when the N4 arrives to get them into it?

Thanks from a really newb (read: ignorant) Android user to be.

Jeff

Default Re: Moving iPhone (3gs) Contacts to Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by padrejeff View Post
    I've read many posts and web info on moving my contacts from my old iPhone (3GS) to my new Nexux 4 (arriving Monday). Still confused!

I have made a .vcf file of the iPhone contacts and saved it to my desktop.

What do I do when the N4 arrives to get them into it?

Thanks from a really newb (read: ignorant) Android user to be.

Jeff
    https://support.google.com/mail/bin/...4986&ctx=topic

The best thing to do is import them into Gmail. That way, they will forever sync up to any future android device, as well as being available both on your phone and any pc. You go to (or create) your gmail account on a pc, where it says Gmail (under Google on the top left), click that, then select Contacts, then select More (to the right of Contacts), then select import, then follow the links to import your vcf file. Once done, when you log into your Gmail account on your new N4, they will sync up automatically.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

I just did this for my mother, I'm new to android and it was very simple. you need a Gmail account first off so if you dont have one, creat one on your PC first. Open up iTunes, connect the iPhone and click on your phone in the left column so it brings up all the phones info. Then up top go ahead and click on the "Info" tab. Then the 1st option shows Sync Contacts with. check that box and next to it is a drop down menu that by default usually says "Out look". click that and chose Gmail. Then you get a warning prompt that once synced, all devices using that account such as ipods and ipads will sync to it also. Go ahead and hit ok and it will then ask you for your gmail log in and password. Go ahead and enter that info and after your done, scroll all the way down to the bottom, ignore the rest of the options and hit "Apply" then the phone will sync up with google and depending on how many contacts you have it may take a couple mins. You should see the bar up top showing that its syncing. Once its done, go back to your gmail account online, on the left side it says "Gmail" in red with a down arrow next to it, Click on that and then you will see "Contacts" option. Hit that and you should see all your phone contacts within it. If so all went well. you can edit them as you please. If not go back to iTunes and hit sync phone and it should do it. Now once confirmed the contacts are there, when you 1st turn on the Nexus 4 it will ask you for your Gmail account and password. After entering those it will prompt you to sync all your stuff with you account, obviously you do so check them off and continue. Once its done all your contacts will be there on the phone. You dont have to mess with any .vcf file or any of that stuff. I literally did this 3 days ago and like you know nothing of Android, it was a simple painless process.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Thanks to all.
    I already had a Google account and the contacts are now there.
    Now I must get rid of duplicates and old unrecognizable contacts.

Then, I'm ready for the N4 (Wed or Thurs).

Padrejeff