Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By williams448
  • 2 Post By Jason Escobar
  • 2 Post By planoman
  • 1 Post By Greg C
  • 1 Post By Jason Escobar
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T Nexus 4 MMS problem

Someone please help me out with this issue, it's really bugging me.

I just bought a Nexus 4, I cut my sim card from my old HTC Inspire 4G and the phone worked great. But I have a huge problem, I cannot send nor receive MMS while my wifi is on and my data is off(I always keep it off because I only have 200MB). My Old HTC phone could send and receive pictures via messages when my data was off and only connected via wifi without a problem, so I don't understand what is going on! Then I contact AT&T and get me set different APN settings and nothing! I reset them to default APN now. Then they tell me that it was weird that my old phone could do that because you HAVE to have data turned on for you to receive picture texts, which is BS. Could someone please help out? Sorry if this has been addressed already as I'm new here and not really phone/Android savvy.

Default Re: AT&T Nexus 4 MMS problem

Can you post screen shots of the APN you are using?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

Global Posts
    1,123 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Escobar View Post
    Someone please help me out with this issue, it's really bugging me.

I just bought a Nexus 4, I cut my sim card from my old HTC Inspire 4G and the phone worked great. But I have a huge problem, I cannot send nor receive MMS while my wifi is on and my data is off(I always keep it off because I only have 200MB). My Old HTC phone could send and receive pictures via messages when my data was off and only connected via wifi without a problem, so I don't understand what is going on! Then I contact AT&T and get me set different APN settings and nothing! I reset them to default APN now. Then they tell me that it was weird that my old phone could do that because you HAVE to have data turned on for you to receive picture texts, which is BS. Could someone please help out? Sorry if this has been addressed already as I'm new here and not really phone/Android savvy.
    Are you using stock or a third party sms app such as Go SMS Pro?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Here they are
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AT&T Nexus 4 MMS problem-screenshot_2013-02-08-16-20-47.png   AT&T Nexus 4 MMS problem-screenshot_2013-02-08-16-21-00.png  
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Using Stock. I realized the problem today when I downloaded GO SMS Pro and tried sending out, and nothing happened. It just gets stuck on Sending...

Try these APN settings:

Name: AT&T HSPA+
    APN: Phone
    Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    MMSC:
    MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type:
    APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri
    APN protocal: IPv4
    Bearer: unspecified

MMS is sent through your data. Try turning on your data and sending a MMS. If it works then you know that is the problem.

Dont delete your current APN settings. Simply create another, so if the new one doesnt work, you can always go back.

I too have AT&T. When I got my N4, those same settings were on my phone by default. I changed to the settings above, and it works so much faster on At&t's HSPA+ network.
    Darth Spock likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by williams448 View Post
    Try these APN settings:

Name: AT&T HSPA+
    APN: Phone
    Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    MMSC:
    MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type:
    APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri
    Bearer: unspecified

MMS is sent through your data. Try turning on your data and sending a MMS. If it works then you know that is the problem.

Dont delete your current APN settings. Simply create another, so if the new one doesnt work, you can always go back.

I too have AT&T. When I got my N4, those same settings were on my phone by default. I changed to the settings above, and it works so much faster on At&t's HSPA+ network.
    Im trying to send picture texts without having to have my data on. Just like I could with my HTC Inspire! I tried your settings and nothing in fact it got worse! It said, "cannot send message. try again when service is available" or something like that

Global Posts
    1,123 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Using Stock. I realized the problem today when I downloaded GO SMS Pro and tried sending out, and nothing happened. It just gets stuck on Sending...

Im trying to send picture texts without having to have my data on. Just like I could with my HTC Inspire! I tried your settings and nothing in fact it got worse! It said, "cannot send message. try again when service is available" or something like that
    Did you try turning data on and sending? I bet if you turn it on, you'll be able send all the MMS you want.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by gcorliss View Post
    I'm using stock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by williams448 View Post
    Did you try turning data on and sending? I bet if you turn it on, you'll be able send all the MMS you want.
    yes it did send, but I could send MMS with data OFF with my old device! I'm trying to do that again with this one!!! Plus I have only 200 MB so I'm not trying to go over my limit!!

Global Posts
    1,123 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

MMS uses DATA.... SMS doesn't. Turn your data on and it will work. Data MUST be enabled to send MMS.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

MMS uses DATA.... SMS doesn't.
    So how was I able to send MMS with my data off on my other phone? ...

Global Posts
    1,123 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

IDK.... I'm just telling you what you need to do to send mms... now... with THIS phone.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

IDK.... I'm just telling you what you need to do to send mms... now... with THIS phone.
    Damn, that sucks. My battery is gonna get drained a lot LOL. Thanks anyways, good thing is that the Nexus 4 can disable data if it approaches the limit.
    Darth Spock and Greg C like this.

The APN's look correct. The one you are using is fine if you are not on an LTE data plan. The other one posted if for an LTE plan. Data needs to be on to send MMS but not SMS like gcorliss says. Did you get it working?

Battery life will improve after a few cycles...it is really not that bad for a 2100 mah battery.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    Thanked by:
    Greg C 
    Darth Spock and Greg C like this.

Global Posts
    1,123 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    The APN's look correct. The one you are using is fine if you are not on an LTE data plan. The other one posted if for an LTE plan. Data needs to be on to send MMS but not SMS like gcorliss says. Did you get it working?

Battery life will improve after a few cycles...it is really not that bad for a 2100 mah battery.
    My battery life vastly improved after several charging cycles
    Darth Spock likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I never said sms needed data turned on... only mms.
    I could receive and do receive pictures if data is enabled I was trying to get picture texts while only having WIFI on, like in my old HTC Inspire so I wouldn't accidentally use data(background or syncing) but now I see that maybe it was just my old phone(running gingerbread) that was able to do that. I've searched online and found a lot of people saying the same as gcorliss. Guess I'm gonna have to get used to it now, don't want to miss anything out of people are trying to send me stuff
    Darth Spock likes this.