Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Conspiracy or mistake?

    So ever since the N4 launch it has been rather difficult to find the Nexus 4 on tmobiles website (let alone find it in supply). The only way I had found success before was be either finding an ad or searching for it by typing the name in their search bar. If you simply go to all android phones the device does not pop up. Intially it popped up by clicking google as the manufacturer, but now that option is grayed out ( go ahead and try to click it if you dont believe me but at the time of this writing, you cant click it )
    Then if you simply ask to list all android devices on one page, or search each page one by one, you will not find the Nexus 4 anywhere.
    In fact the only way I was able to find the device was by ( wait for it.......) Unclicking the Android tab for device OS. Yes that is correct you have to deselect Android as the OS in order to find the NEXUS 4 as a available phone option. Isnt that weird? So I figured I would ask other peoples opinions on it. I think it could be a mistake since tmobile kind of fudged up other things with the Nexus 4 (No, T-Mobile, your Nexus 4 doesn't have a microSD card either | Android Central), but I mean.... the Nexus not listed as a Andorid device on tmobiles website? I was thinking maybe they dont want to sell the damn thing (similiar to the Verizon Wirelss fiasco with GNex) but maybe Im just reading too far into it
    Fact is, the layman who wishes to buy a new android phone through tmobile will never find the Nexus 4 unless he went to the page knowing exactly what phone he wanted.

    What do you guys think?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    its probably a mistake. why wouldnt they want to sell more phones with 2 year contract.

    the explanation i could come up with is Android 4.2 is a new and only latest OS for t-mobile phones and their website might had a glitch
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    its probably a mistake. why wouldnt they want to sell more phones with 2 year contract.

    the explanation i could come up with is Android 4.2 is a new and only latest OS for t-mobile phones and their website might had a glitch
    Exactly! I would think they would want to sell it. It probably is a mistake, but I dont quite understand your explanation for the glitch.

    Even still if it is a glitch, the phone has been out since november, and the site hasnt changed, or fixed the mistake
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Maybe they stopped selling it for a while, since it makes almost no sense to purchase it from T-Mobile while it is in stock in the Play store.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    I've never had that issue. I've checked multiple times and all you had to do was click 'smart phones' then 'see all on one page' and it would be there.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  6. #6  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    I highly doubt that T-Mobile doesn't want to sell it. I've seen various ads online and at T-Mobile stores, and they have the phone on display at all T-Mobile stores I've been to. As others have said, it's probably a mistake.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    It's right here and it's only $49.99 through February 18th!

    Make sure the "Free" box is unchecked in the left hand column.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noncon View Post
    Maybe they stopped selling it for a while, since it makes almost no sense to purchase it from T-Mobile while it is in stock in the Play store.
    Some people would rather pay less up front even if it means paying more over the life of the contract. 200, or 50 until the 18th is less than $300. Some also just do it because a contract is what they have always done. Habit is a damnable thing.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by SOLGarion View Post
    Some people would rather pay less up front even if it means paying more over the life of the contract. 200, or 50 until the 18th is less than $300. Some also just do it because a contract is what they have always done. Habit is a damnable thing.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    And there's perks you get with the contract that you can't get with prepaid. (Like insurance, roaming, corporate discounts, etc)

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
  10. #10  
    chubb's Avatar

    Posts
    874 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    And there's perks you get with the contract that you can't get with prepaid. (Like insurance, roaming, corporate discounts, etc)

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    You can get insurance on all the plans from what I've seen. I can get it for $7 a month with my $60 monthly 4g plan.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    You can get insurance on all the plans from what I've seen. I can get it for $7 a month with my $60 monthly 4g plan.
    That's weird, because the t-mobile person I talked to said I couldn't. It would be great if I could though.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Mistake.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  13. #13  

    Default Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    It's right here and it's only $49.99 through February 18th!

    Make sure the "Free" box is unchecked in the left hand column.
    I didn't see it at first but when I unchecked the free box it appeared.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    If I were never here, you would never know.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    You can get insurance on all the plans from what I've seen. I can get it for $7 a month with my $60 monthly 4g plan.
    this only applies if you purchase the Nexus four directly through T Mobile. If you purchase the Nexus four to the play store you will not be able to qualify for the insurance I tried it and it was a no go
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac58 View Post
    this only applies if you purchase the Nexus four directly through T Mobile. If you purchase the Nexus four to the play store you will not be able to qualify for the insurance I tried it and it was a no go
    Did you do the monthly 4g? It gave Mr the option when I activated.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac58 View Post
    So ever since the N4 launch it has been rather difficult to find the Nexus 4 on tmobiles website (let alone find it in supply). The only way I had found success before was be either finding an ad or searching for it by typing the name in their search bar. If you simply go to all android phones the device does not pop up. Intially it popped up by clicking google as the manufacturer, but now that option is grayed out ( go ahead and try to click it if you dont believe me but at the time of this writing, you cant click it )
    Then if you simply ask to list all android devices on one page, or search each page one by one, you will not find the Nexus 4 anywhere.
    In fact the only way I was able to find the device was by ( wait for it.......) Unclicking the Android tab for device OS. Yes that is correct you have to deselect Android as the OS in order to find the NEXUS 4 as a available phone option. Isnt that weird? So I figured I would ask other peoples opinions on it. I think it could be a mistake since tmobile kind of fudged up other things with the Nexus 4 (No, T-Mobile, your Nexus 4 doesn't have a microSD card either | Android Central), but I mean.... the Nexus not listed as a Andorid device on tmobiles website? I was thinking maybe they dont want to sell the damn thing (similiar to the Verizon Wirelss fiasco with GNex) but maybe Im just reading too far into it
    Fact is, the layman who wishes to buy a new android phone through tmobile will never find the Nexus 4 unless he went to the page knowing exactly what phone he wanted.

    What do you guys think?
    Simply there is more profit in selling the other subsidized devices.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Simply there is more profit in selling the other subsidized devices.
    Source link to spreadsheet giving profit for each different subsidized device please.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by SOLGarion View Post
    Source link to spreadsheet giving profit for each different subsidized device please.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    What you don't believe they work to sell the high profit devices before the low profit ones?
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    What you don't believe they work to sell the high profit devices before the low profit ones?
    Didn't say that. I am sure they try. Just wondering if your statement of "fact" was based on anything other than assumptions and personal observations.

    Until we get some kind of print out that shows

    1) The profit a carrier makes from a device and

    2) the commission paid to a salesperson for each device,

    then they are just assumptions.

    The commission/profit on the iPhone could be the smallest of all phones, still wouldn't stop them from selling a crap ton. Your "simply put" fact wouldn't prove, or even follow from, the large sales in that case. Following your logic they should hide all the links and push other phones and the sales of the iPhone would be the lowest of all phones. Driving the sales would be Apple marketing and customer demand/request that would be independent of the profit margin to the carrier.

    You also seem to implicitly assume, for your statement to be correct, that the carrier can choose which phone people buy, which is not always the case. Salesmen can be pushy but one does not have to follow their recommendations. If one did, sales would be in direct relation to unit profitability.

    Not saying anything about any phones profit, just saying you cannot look at sales as the only indicator of an individual units profitability. Doing so can easily lead to bad assumptions.

    Not saying you are wrong, they might indeed make more on other devices. I am just saying you are wrong to assert something assumed from a fact that cannot, by itself, support your assumption. Internet logic. Simply put.


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    You can get insurance on all the plans from what I've seen. I can get it for $7 a month with my $60 monthly 4g plan.
    Yeah the deductible is like 150$ though.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  21. #21  
    sting7k's Avatar

    Posts
    426 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    The website is just messed up.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by SOLGarion View Post
    Didn't say that. I am sure they try. Just wondering if your statement of "fact" was based on anything other than assumptions and personal observations.

    Until we get some kind of print out that shows

    1) The profit a carrier makes from a device and

    2) the commission paid to a salesperson for each device,

    then they are just assumptions.

    The commission/profit on the iPhone could be the smallest of all phones, still wouldn't stop them from selling a crap ton. Your "simply put" fact wouldn't prove, or even follow from, the large sales in that case. Following your logic they should hide all the links and push other phones and the sales of the iPhone would be the lowest of all phones. Driving the sales would be Apple marketing and customer demand/request that would be independent of the profit margin to the carrier.

    You also seem to implicitly assume, for your statement to be correct, that the carrier can choose which phone people buy, which is not always the case. Salesmen can be pushy but one does not have to follow their recommendations. If one did, sales would be in direct relation to unit profitability.

    Not saying anything about any phones profit, just saying you cannot look at sales as the only indicator of an individual units profitability. Doing so can easily lead to bad assumptions.

    Not saying you are wrong, they might indeed make more on other devices. I am just saying you are wrong to assert something assumed from a fact that cannot, by itself, support your assumption. Internet logic. Simply put.


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    You assume alot but my post was based more on how product presentation equals profitability. Example: How retail space in say a Walgreens is laid out. What you see first is more profitable than what you see in the back rows. Same holds true in alot of websites. Example Ebay, Yahoo, or Amazon you can pay to be on the first page of a search. It is called marketing and this thread started with a post about marketing strategy that left the poster confused. Those in the this field see it clearly without a road map of it or sales sheet to prove it. That which I find easy yet confuses others has made me a living for over 3 decades. Marketing is in a continuous process of implicit assumption their correct and repeatedly getting results year after year.
    Last edited by zedorda; 02-11-2013 at 08:50 PM.
  23. #23  
    chubb's Avatar

    Posts
    874 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac58 View Post
    this only applies if you purchase the Nexus four directly through T Mobile. If you purchase the Nexus four to the play store you will not be able to qualify for the insurance I tried it and it was a no go
    I haven't actually tried to get it, just seen it was an option. They also have BB options as well, so maybe it won't actually work?


    Quote Originally Posted by Go Ogle View Post
    Yeah the deductible is like 150$ though.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Figured it would be something outrageous. As long as Google can keep them in stock on the Play Store, I'll take my chances. Since $7 a month and a $150 deductible for a refurb form asurion compared to a $350 16GB, I'd rather buy a new one if something happens. Insurance is worth it if your clumsy and your phone outright costs over $500 IMO.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Did you do the monthly 4g? It gave Mr the option when I activated.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

    Yes I did the $30 a month plan and there was no option for insurance because I didnt buy it through tmobile. Then when I tried to call once I had it activated they would not allow me to do so
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Conspiracy or mistake?

    To respond to the op, it is difficult to find it and the website in general is always down when trying to make a payment so I chalk it up to horrible webmasters

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HELP! Need to get G1 Working or Dieter Will Kill Me!
    By Rene Ritchie in forum The Android Central Lounge
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 03:17 PM
  2. Mistake or price reduction?
    By taalibeen in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 01:02 PM
  3. tasks and memos or notes
    By MichaelN in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 11:32 PM
  4. upgrade my verizon phone now or wait for android
    By alex5252 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-21-2009, 09:24 PM
  5. Palm Pre or HTC Hero?
    By mjfadaway in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Posting Permissions

B