Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 97
Like Tree47Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    Agreed. I am certainly not a 100 app or 1000 song person. I have about 12 GB available maybe a bit less on my Nexus 4 right now. I do use Google Drive and Google play music so I do use the cloud on my Nexus. One more thing on having more storage is you have more potential buyers on resell. You will lose more potential customers with 8GB versus 16GB versus the other way around, especially if they ever come out with a 32 GB Nexus 4. Just my opinion.
    Unless you plan on changing your phone every 6 months to a year (which personally having 2GB of ram and a quad-core processor would seem ridiculous) then I could understand wanting to appeal to a larger group of people. If you plan on keeping this phone (I know I will haha) for at least two years, does 8GB really matter all that much for a 2 year phone worth maybe $150 (probably less) by then? If you're in the used phone market, I think storage space would be the least of your priorities. Does the phone work properly? Has it been repaired before? Has it been tampered with like being bootloader unlocked? A lot people put their phones through a whole lot of abuse after 2 years, I would much rather take less storage space but get a phone in good working condition especially if it's out of the warranty period.
    yfan, MERCDROID and zerkms like this.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by adam514 View Post
    Unless you plan on changing your phone every 6 months to a year (which personally having 2GB of ram and a quad-core processor would seem ridiculous) then I could understand wanting to appeal to a larger group of people. If you plan on keeping this phone (I know I will haha) for at least two years, does 8GB really matter all that much for a 2 year phone worth maybe $150 (probably less) by then? If you're in the used phone market, I think storage space would be the least of your priorities. Does the phone work properly? Has it been repaired before? Has it been tampered with like being bootloader unlocked? A lot people put their phones through a whole lot of abuse after 2 years, I would much rather take less storage space but get a phone in good working condition especially if it's out of the warranty period.
    I am guilty of changing phones every 6 months, I guess that is why I would always opt for at least 32GB if available and 16 GB is a minimum for me. Held out for 32GB on the Nexus 7. We could not be different in our device habits and that's ok. Having said that, it looks like the majority of us giving advice on this thread are 16GB'ers. Looks like we will not change your view and you will not change ours! Enjoy your 8GB Nexus 4!
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    adam514 likes this.
  3. #28  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    I also used to change phones every 6 months so, but I now just wait for the next Nexus.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    I think you should get the 16GB one. Although you may not need the space, it's better just to have it in case there is a time you will need the extra space. Always better to be safe than sorry!
  5. #30  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I also used to change phones every 6 months so, but I now just wait for the next Nexus.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    I wish I could stop doing that (My wife too!) I love my Note 2 too much! The Galaxy line of phones really does improve significantly every year and the S series and the Note series are off set by 6 months...I had the Nexus S as my first Nexus when it came out in the GSM version and was underwhelmed and returned it. I do like the Nexus 4 however as a backup and can see myself always having a Nexus going forward unless the next one does not have LTE...
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
  6. #31  
    sjsmr2's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nam Barg View Post
    I think you should get the 16GB one. Although you may not need the space, it's better just to have it in case there is a time you will need the extra space. Always better to be safe than sorry!
    I agree. I was on the fence between the 8GB and the 16GB. In the end I am happy I chose the 16GB for the extra space just in case.
  7. #32  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    805 Posts
    Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    For $50, it's a no brainer to double your storage. It doesn't matter how you see your phone use today, tomorrow it could change. You might discover that you like audiobooks and start ripping your own instead of of using an online service. There are times when I have 5 or 6 gb of books on my phone. Who know what you might need a few extra gb for.
    That cuts both ways. Your usage habits may also change in favor of less local storage. If you rip an audio book, assuming that you do so legally, you can upload the whole thing to Google Music. You might find that you enjoy having access to your photos and videos and music from any device with just an internet connection. The point is, there is no reason to assume that if your habits change, that it will change in favor of greater local storage. In fact, with the convenience of cloud storage and it being pushed, it's more likely to change in the opposite direction.

    But honestly, and I apologize if this sounds harsh, if 50 bucks is a big deal to you at this point in your life, I'd just stick with whatever phone you have and wait til you've got more cash. If your reason is simply a question about storage space, ignore that previous comment...and buy the 16gb version.
    This isn't about whether $50 is a "big deal." For some it is, for others it isn't. But that shouldn't put the phone out of consideration. The question is whether the $50 is a waste in a particular individual's case. If they don't need it, and won't use it, then it's a waste. Spending $50 may not be a big deal, but wasting it may be.


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  8. #33  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    That cuts both ways. Your usage habits may also change in favor of less local storage. If you rip an audio book, assuming that you do so legally, you can upload the whole thing to Google Music. You might find that you enjoy having access to your photos and videos and music from any device with just an internet connection. The point is, there is no reason to assume that if your habits change, that it will change in favor of greater local storage. In fact, with the convenience of cloud storage and it being pushed, it's more likely to change in the opposite direction.
    You get whichever one you want, but the problem with your logic is that if you buy the smaller one and you find that you need more space later, you don't have it and can't get it. If you buy the bigger one, and end up not needing the space, I doubt you'll feel any regret. Using the cloud is fine, but because of data connectivity and or data plan restrictions, there could easily be times when it would be more convenient to have a little more phone storage space. This basic premiss of more space is better than less is why you may have noticed that computer hard drives continue to get bigger and bigger every year. Smaller/less is not a storage trend, and never will be.

    If 8gb works for you, that's great, but I like having more.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  9. #34  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    805 Posts
    Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    You get whichever one you want, but the problem with your logic is that if you buy the smaller one and you find that you need more space later, you don't have it and can't get it. If you buy the bigger one, and end up not needing the space, I doubt you'll feel any regret.
    You're wrong. I would in fact regret wasting $50+ tax. Buyer's remorse often involves paying more for things you didn't need or don't use.

    That said, yes, it's an individual decision based on one's own comfort levels. If someone thinks they may want more storage, they should go for the 16 GB model. My problem is that some pushing the 16 GB model seem to think that those choosing to get the 8 GB model are making a less prudent decision, when in fact we may be making the most prudent and informed decision for ourselves.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    You're wrong. I would in fact regret wasting $50+ tax. Buyer's remorse often involves paying more for things you didn't need or don't use.

    That said, yes, it's an individual decision based on one's own comfort levels. If someone thinks they may want more storage, they should go for the 16 GB model. My problem is that some pushing the 16 GB model seem to think that those choosing to get the 8 GB model are making a less prudent decision, when in fact we may be making the most prudent and informed decision for ourselves.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Even the possibility of having the slightest buyer's remorse from spending $350 vs $300 (an entire 50 dollars) in order to double what is already a small amount of storage is beyond understanding to me. The only thing that remotely makes any sense is that you're trying really hard to convince yourself you made the right decision.

    To the OP, if you've got the $50, get the 16gb N4.

    To yfan, no sense can be made of this argument with you, so I sincerely hope you enjoy your 8gb, and I'm going to stay out of this thread.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  11. #36  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    805 Posts
    Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Even the possibility of having the slightest buyer's remorse from spending $350 vs $300 (an entire 50 dollars) in order to double what is already a small amount of storage is beyond understanding to me.
    Obviously. But your "understanding" is not necessary for other people's decision making. You think 8 GB on a phone is a "small amount of storage." A lot of us who put everything on the cloud and are not avid gamers happen to think - and know - that it's plenty. You don't seem to be able to grasp that for some, the extra storage and the money may be a waste we may not want.
    The only thing that remotely makes any sense is that you're trying really hard to convince yourself you made the right decision.
    I could say the same about you. But (a) I don't understand why you think convincing oneself requires making the case to others (as in a forum), and (b) let's not try to get into each other's heads.
  12. #37  
    tennockey's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    I just got my 8GB two days ago since the Play Store was taking so long to ship. I just got one off eBay. It's always been fine for me. Coming from 16GB iPhone 4S. I just use Google Music for all my songs (about 10GB on there), and I don't really take any pics anyways. Just pics of stupid stuff to show friends, so i'll just delete them eventually. I have all my apps installed (I don't play any games though) and I still have 4.6 GB left. Thats plenty for me. Those of you who say it's useless out of the box are just being overdramatic. Some people need a 64GB phone, some of us just us our phones as phones and don't pack all of our media on a device. It just depends on who you are and what you need on your phone. I
    yfan likes this.
  13. #38  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    You're wrong. I would in fact regret wasting $50+ tax. Buyer's remorse often involves paying more for things you didn't need or don't use.

    That said, yes, it's an individual decision based on one's own comfort levels. If someone thinks they may want more storage, they should go for the 16 GB model. My problem is that some pushing the 16 GB model seem to think that those choosing to get the 8 GB model are making a less prudent decision, when in fact we may be making the most prudent and informed decision for ourselves.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    spending 16% more for 100% more storage makes sense to me! lol! Sorry just could not resist. Good thing they make two models! Anyone for a 32 GB model....ME!
    Last edited by planoman; 02-11-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
  14. #39  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    805 Posts
    Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    spending 16% more for 100% more storage makes sense to me! lol! Sorry just could not resist. Good thing they make two models! Anyone for a 32 GB model....ME!
    Good, then get the 16 GB model. In my case the 16% would be waste. No one begrudges your 16 GB, but I do wish people would stop acting like it's some kind of a morally superior choice as opposed to saying that a customer needs to evaluate his or her own needs and habits and determine which is more suitable for them.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  15. #40  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    Good, then get the 16 GB model. In my case the 16% would be waste. No one begrudges your 16 GB, but I do wish people would stop acting like it's some kind of a morally superior choice as opposed to saying that a customer needs to evaluate his or her own needs and habits and determine which is more suitable for them.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Lighten up. The thread asked for opinions and people are giving them. Nobody said anything about being morally superior by getting a 16GB. Free choice... that is what it is about. Just because you cannot be or wont be persuaded does not mean others won't be. Based on the results I see posted here and other places- advice for the 8GB is in the minority. No need to get offended because nobody is trying to offend anyone.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    Greg C likes this.
  16. #41  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    If you have to ask, wait for the 32
  17. #42  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    I've been using my phone like crazy, lots of pictures and videos, and still have 3.2gb free. I don't have that many apps installed, of course.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  18. #43  
    jd914's Avatar

    Posts
    704 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,276 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by doug9000 View Post
    Stupid me I've been using a 8gig for 2 months and it was useless.
    and I'm positive aside from a few apps you have practically nothing installed. But yeah it fits your needs which unfortunately isn't enough for the majority of smartphone users.
  19. #44  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    and I'm positive aside from a few apps you have practically nothing installed. But yeah it fits your needs which unfortunately isn't enough for the majority of smartphone users.
    I think you're confusing "people who hang out on android message boards" with "majority of smartphone users". Most smartphone users have Facebook and instagram and some coupon apps and not much else installed.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    yfan and PaulMilander like this.
  20. #45  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,466 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    You get whichever one you want, but the problem with your logic is that if you buy the smaller one and you find that you need more space later, you don't have it and can't get it. If you buy the bigger one, and end up not needing the space, I doubt you'll feel any regret. Using the cloud is fine, but because of data connectivity and or data plan restrictions, there could easily be times when it would be more convenient to have a little more phone storage space. This basic premiss of more space is better than less is why you may have noticed that computer hard drives continue to get bigger and bigger every year. Smaller/less is not a storage trend, and never will be.

    If 8gb works for you, that's great, but I like having more.
    He is right. The only reason I use Google drive and g+ and music is because I have unlimited data. If I was getting throttled it would be a necessary for the 16gb but thankfully I have 32:beer:

    Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
  21. #46  
    jd914's Avatar

    Posts
    704 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,276 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    I think you're confusing "people who hang out on android message boards" with "majority of smartphone users". Most smartphone users have Facebook and instagram and some coupon apps and not much else installed.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    You're sadly mistaken. The majority of people I know who don't frequent message boards have tons of games, movies, music and pictures. I don't know where you got that from unless you're assuming. Then again there's apologists for everything that need to justify what they have including an 8gb device.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
  22. #47  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    805 Posts
    Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    You're sadly mistaken. The majority of people I know who don't frequent message boards have tons of games, movies, music and pictures.
    Majority of people you know may also not be representative of the average smartphone user. But that's beside the point. Here's a news flash: the majority of smart phone owners don't have a Nexus phone, let alone the Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 is made for people who use Google Services a lot, and is meant to push cloud storage. If you are the type of user who likes to fill up their phone with high definition games and photos and videos, then quite frankly, the Nexus 4 isn't for you, and 16 GB likely isn't enough storage either.

    The wisdom of getting one Nexus 4 model or the other is not really related to what "the average smartphone user" uses. The phone is meant to somewhat change how people use their smartphones, not accommodate local storage hogging.
    Thanked by:
  23. #48  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    and I'm positive aside from a few apps you have practically nothing installed. But yeah it fits your needs which unfortunately isn't enough for the majority of smartphone users.
    Sorry I'm such a lightweight with 77 apps loaded 11000 songs in the cloud and only 2 movies on board. Sometimes I all so use it just as a phone to communicate with my dispatcher. Yes I have a job so don't have much time to impress myself with all the apps I can install.
    yfan likes this.
  24. #49  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    For $50, it's a no brainer to double your storage. It doesn't matter how you see your phone use today, tomorrow it could change. You might discover that you like audiobooks and start ripping your own instead of of using an online service. There are times when I have 5 or 6 gb of books on my phone. Who know what you might need a few extra gb for.

    But honestly, and I apologize if this sounds harsh, if 50 bucks is a big deal to you at this point in your life, I'd just stick with whatever phone you have and wait til you've got more cash. If your reason is simply a question about storage space, ignore that previous comment...and buy the 16gb version.
    I'm currently experiencing the same dilemma, and the thing is that $50 difference in original price becomes much larger expense in result.

    Well, I live in New Zealand and we pay 15% taxes for everything that's bought overseas and costs over NZ$ 400 (~US$ 335). So, the 8gb is below this threshold, 16gb is over it. So you end up in paying +$50 for +$52.5 (actually a bit more - because the delivery price also counts as a total import price).

    So the final result is an "overpayment" of over 30% or over US$100, which is not that few.
  25. #50  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

    Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    Majority of people you know may also not be representative of the average smartphone user. But that's beside the point. Here's a news flash: the majority of smart phone owners don't have a Nexus phone, let alone the Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 is made for people who use Google Services a lot, and is meant to push cloud storage. If you are the type of user who likes to fill up their phone with high definition games and photos and videos, then quite frankly, the Nexus 4 isn't for you, and 16 GB likely isn't enough storage either.

    The wisdom of getting one Nexus 4 model or the other is not really related to what "the average smartphone user" uses. The phone is meant to somewhat change how people use their smartphones, not accommodate local storage hogging.
    +1. Giving you a plus one on that! Have always has galaxy or phones with SD slot with a high capacity card. Currently have a 64 GB in my note 2 and another one that I had in my sgsIII before I sold it.

    The nexus has changed the way I view storage. Since getting the N4, I have signed up for google drive, transferred all of my songs to google play music and signed up for the 50GB offer from Box.com. Still wish I had 32GB storage locally, but we will see how this works out. I currently have an LTE unlimited plan on Att and have never used over 2.5 gigs in a month.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nexus One vs. Galaxy S(Captivate)
    By rlb in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-23-2010, 02:29 PM
  2. Nexus One vs. Galaxy S(Captivate)
    By rlb in forum AT&T Captivate
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 09:32 AM
  3. Going from 8gb to 16gb and I have questions
    By jazbojenkins in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 08:21 PM
  4. Nexus 1 vs Evo 4G: Good Article
    By donald.aleshire in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 02:11 PM
  5. Nexus One vs Droid Screen Size
    By ridavid81 in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 06:21 PM

Posting Permissions

B