Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You're assuming (along with the author of that article) that your Nexus 4 is going to be used for games and music etc. Does everyone use their N4 for this purpose? I'd like to take a good guess and say no. I use my N4 for work purposes, do I game a lot? Not really. Is my music on a separate mp3 to leave in my car? Yes it's just easier when you're on the road and having your music separated from your work phone. I'm sure a couple, if not a few people on these forums fit into my profile. Save the $50 bucks you don't need to spend and use it on accessories...or better yet, save it to take your girl out to dinner. ;)

Not sure how much experience you have with android, but I would wager that there are quite a few more people who bought the 8GB and wish they had bought the 16GB than the ones who bought the 16GB model and wish they had less space.

The OP was considering the 8GB because it is "cheaper" so I guess that $50 is a big difference. I would say skip eating out at all for a while, save the extra $50 and get the 16GB model. Much better to have it and not need it versus...well you know...

adam514

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how much experience you have with android, but I would wager that there are quite a few more people who bought the 8GB and wish they had bought the 16GB than the ones who bought the 16GB model and wish they had less space.

The OP was considering the 8GB because it is "cheaper" so I guess that $50 is a big difference. I would say skip eating out at all for a while, save the extra $50 and get the 16GB model. Much better to have it and not need it versus...well you know...

I've had a Nexus S for a little over a year and a half with 16gb. I used maybe 4-5gb of which at least 1gb were apps/games I really didn't use much so I got rid of them when I got my N4. Besides that, regardless of whether you use Android, BB, IOS or a Windows phone, I mentioned this before, check what you've used on your old phone, it's as simple as that. If you'd had a phone for at least a year that'll pretty much give you a good idea of what you need and not what others need. The whole "potentially need" argument perhaps is valid if you haven't had a phone for a long period of time and you're not really sure what kind of storage space you plan on using which comes right back to what you're going to use the phone for and not someone else.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Nexus S for a little over a year and a half with 16gb. I used maybe 4-5gb of which at least 1gb were apps/games I really didn't use much so I got rid of them when I got my N4. Besides that, regardless of whether you use Android, BB, IOS or a Windows phone, I mentioned this before, check what you've used on your old phone, it's as simple as that. If you'd had a phone for at least a year that'll pretty much give you a good idea of what you need and not what others need. The whole "potentially need" argument perhaps is valid if you haven't had a phone for a long period of time and you're not really sure what kind of storage space you plan on using which comes right back to what you're going to use the phone for and not someone else.

Agreed. I am certainly not a 100 app or 1000 song person. I have about 12 GB available maybe a bit less on my Nexus 4 right now. I do use Google Drive and Google play music so I do use the cloud on my Nexus. One more thing on having more storage is you have more potential buyers on resell. You will lose more potential customers with 8GB versus 16GB versus the other way around, especially if they ever come out with a 32 GB Nexus 4. Just my opinion.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
For $50, it's a no brainer to double your storage. It doesn't matter how you see your phone use today, tomorrow it could change. You might discover that you like audiobooks and start ripping your own instead of of using an online service. There are times when I have 5 or 6 gb of books on my phone. Who know what you might need a few extra gb for.

But honestly, and I apologize if this sounds harsh, if 50 bucks is a big deal to you at this point in your life, I'd just stick with whatever phone you have and wait til you've got more cash. If your reason is simply a question about storage space, ignore that previous comment...and buy the 16gb version.

omgzam

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Whatever it is that you choose, don't forget to claim a free 50GB Box account for extra cloud storage.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

adam514

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I am certainly not a 100 app or 1000 song person. I have about 12 GB available maybe a bit less on my Nexus 4 right now. I do use Google Drive and Google play music so I do use the cloud on my Nexus. One more thing on having more storage is you have more potential buyers on resell. You will lose more potential customers with 8GB versus 16GB versus the other way around, especially if they ever come out with a 32 GB Nexus 4. Just my opinion.

Unless you plan on changing your phone every 6 months to a year (which personally having 2GB of ram and a quad-core processor would seem ridiculous) then I could understand wanting to appeal to a larger group of people. If you plan on keeping this phone (I know I will haha) for at least two years, does 8GB really matter all that much for a 2 year phone worth maybe $150 (probably less) by then? If you're in the used phone market, I think storage space would be the least of your priorities. Does the phone work properly? Has it been repaired before? Has it been tampered with like being bootloader unlocked? A lot people put their phones through a whole lot of abuse after 2 years, I would much rather take less storage space but get a phone in good working condition especially if it's out of the warranty period.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Unless you plan on changing your phone every 6 months to a year (which personally having 2GB of ram and a quad-core processor would seem ridiculous) then I could understand wanting to appeal to a larger group of people. If you plan on keeping this phone (I know I will haha) for at least two years, does 8GB really matter all that much for a 2 year phone worth maybe $150 (probably less) by then? If you're in the used phone market, I think storage space would be the least of your priorities. Does the phone work properly? Has it been repaired before? Has it been tampered with like being bootloader unlocked? A lot people put their phones through a whole lot of abuse after 2 years, I would much rather take less storage space but get a phone in good working condition especially if it's out of the warranty period.

I am guilty of changing phones every 6 months, I guess that is why I would always opt for at least 32GB if available and 16 GB is a minimum for me. Held out for 32GB on the Nexus 7. We could not be different in our device habits and that's ok. Having said that, it looks like the majority of us giving advice on this thread are 16GB'ers. Looks like we will not change your view and you will not change ours! Enjoy your 8GB Nexus 4!

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I also used to change phones every 6 months so, but I now just wait for the next Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Nam Barg

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I think you should get the 16GB one. Although you may not need the space, it's better just to have it in case there is a time you will need the extra space. Always better to be safe than sorry!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I also used to change phones every 6 months so, but I now just wait for the next Nexus.

I wish I could stop doing that (My wife too!) I love my Note 2 too much! The Galaxy line of phones really does improve significantly every year and the S series and the Note series are off set by 6 months...I had the Nexus S as my first Nexus when it came out in the GSM version and was underwhelmed and returned it. I do like the Nexus 4 however as a backup and can see myself always having a Nexus going forward unless the next one does not have LTE...

sjsmr2

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I think you should get the 16GB one. Although you may not need the space, it's better just to have it in case there is a time you will need the extra space. Always better to be safe than sorry!

I agree. I was on the fence between the 8GB and the 16GB. In the end I am happy I chose the 16GB for the extra space just in case.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
For $50, it's a no brainer to double your storage. It doesn't matter how you see your phone use today, tomorrow it could change. You might discover that you like audiobooks and start ripping your own instead of of using an online service. There are times when I have 5 or 6 gb of books on my phone. Who know what you might need a few extra gb for.
That cuts both ways. Your usage habits may also change in favor of less local storage. If you rip an audio book, assuming that you do so legally, you can upload the whole thing to Google Music. You might find that you enjoy having access to your photos and videos and music from any device with just an internet connection. The point is, there is no reason to assume that if your habits change, that it will change in favor of greater local storage. In fact, with the convenience of cloud storage and it being pushed, it's more likely to change in the opposite direction.

But honestly, and I apologize if this sounds harsh, if 50 bucks is a big deal to you at this point in your life, I'd just stick with whatever phone you have and wait til you've got more cash. If your reason is simply a question about storage space, ignore that previous comment...and buy the 16gb version.
This isn't about whether $50 is a "big deal." For some it is, for others it isn't. But that shouldn't put the phone out of consideration. The question is whether the $50 is a waste in a particular individual's case. If they don't need it, and won't use it, then it's a waste. Spending $50 may not be a big deal, but wasting it may be.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
That cuts both ways. Your usage habits may also change in favor of less local storage. If you rip an audio book, assuming that you do so legally, you can upload the whole thing to Google Music. You might find that you enjoy having access to your photos and videos and music from any device with just an internet connection. The point is, there is no reason to assume that if your habits change, that it will change in favor of greater local storage. In fact, with the convenience of cloud storage and it being pushed, it's more likely to change in the opposite direction.

You get whichever one you want, but the problem with your logic is that if you buy the smaller one and you find that you need more space later, you don't have it and can't get it. If you buy the bigger one, and end up not needing the space, I doubt you'll feel any regret. Using the cloud is fine, but because of data connectivity and or data plan restrictions, there could easily be times when it would be more convenient to have a little more phone storage space. This basic premiss of more space is better than less is why you may have noticed that computer hard drives continue to get bigger and bigger every year. Smaller/less is not a storage trend, and never will be.

If 8gb works for you, that's great, but I like having more.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
You get whichever one you want, but the problem with your logic is that if you buy the smaller one and you find that you need more space later, you don't have it and can't get it. If you buy the bigger one, and end up not needing the space, I doubt you'll feel any regret.
You're wrong. I would in fact regret wasting $50+ tax. Buyer's remorse often involves paying more for things you didn't need or don't use.

That said, yes, it's an individual decision based on one's own comfort levels. If someone thinks they may want more storage, they should go for the 16 GB model. My problem is that some pushing the 16 GB model seem to think that those choosing to get the 8 GB model are making a less prudent decision, when in fact we may be making the most prudent and informed decision for ourselves.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
You're wrong. I would in fact regret wasting $50+ tax. Buyer's remorse often involves paying more for things you didn't need or don't use.

That said, yes, it's an individual decision based on one's own comfort levels. If someone thinks they may want more storage, they should go for the 16 GB model. My problem is that some pushing the 16 GB model seem to think that those choosing to get the 8 GB model are making a less prudent decision, when in fact we may be making the most prudent and informed decision for ourselves.

Even the possibility of having the slightest buyer's remorse from spending $350 vs $300 (an entire 50 dollars) in order to double what is already a small amount of storage is beyond understanding to me. The only thing that remotely makes any sense is that you're trying really hard to convince yourself you made the right decision.

To the OP, if you've got the $50, get the 16gb N4.

To yfan, no sense can be made of this argument with you, so I sincerely hope you enjoy your 8gb, and I'm going to stay out of this thread.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Even the possibility of having the slightest buyer's remorse from spending $350 vs $300 (an entire 50 dollars) in order to double what is already a small amount of storage is beyond understanding to me.
Obviously. But your "understanding" is not necessary for other people's decision making. You think 8 GB on a phone is a "small amount of storage." A lot of us who put everything on the cloud and are not avid gamers happen to think - and know - that it's plenty. You don't seem to be able to grasp that for some, the extra storage and the money may be a waste we may not want.
The only thing that remotely makes any sense is that you're trying really hard to convince yourself you made the right decision.
I could say the same about you. But (a) I don't understand why you think convincing oneself requires making the case to others (as in a forum), and (b) let's not try to get into each other's heads.

tennockey

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I just got my 8GB two days ago since the Play Store was taking so long to ship. I just got one off eBay. It's always been fine for me. Coming from 16GB iPhone 4S. I just use Google Music for all my songs (about 10GB on there), and I don't really take any pics anyways. Just pics of stupid stuff to show friends, so i'll just delete them eventually. I have all my apps installed (I don't play any games though) and I still have 4.6 GB left. Thats plenty for me. Those of you who say it's useless out of the box are just being overdramatic. Some people need a 64GB phone, some of us just us our phones as phones and don't pack all of our media on a device. It just depends on who you are and what you need on your phone. I

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

spending 16% more for 100% more storage makes sense to me! lol! Sorry just could not resist. Good thing they make two models! Anyone for a 32 GB model....ME!

Last edited:

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
spending 16% more for 100% more storage makes sense to me! lol! Sorry just could not resist. Good thing they make two models! Anyone for a 32 GB model....ME!
Good, then get the 16 GB model. In my case the 16% would be waste. No one begrudges your 16 GB, but I do wish people would stop acting like it's some kind of a morally superior choice as opposed to saying that a customer needs to evaluate his or her own needs and habits and determine which is more suitable for them.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Good, then get the 16 GB model. In my case the 16% would be waste. No one begrudges your 16 GB, but I do wish people would stop acting like it's some kind of a morally superior choice as opposed to saying that a customer needs to evaluate his or her own needs and habits and determine which is more suitable for them.

Lighten up. The thread asked for opinions and people are giving them. Nobody said anything about being morally superior by getting a 16GB. Free choice... that is what it is about. Just because you cannot be or wont be persuaded does not mean others won't be. Based on the results I see posted here and other places- advice for the 8GB is in the minority. No need to get offended because nobody is trying to offend anyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463