Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

Im really thinking about getting the 8GB since its cheaper but Ive heard that it was a bad idea.
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbdown:
    I dont use a whole lot of apps but I have a lot of music and pictures so would the 8GB be good for me? :thumbup::thumbdown::thumbup: Ive also heard the Nexus 5 was coming soon so would it be smart to wait??

Default Re: Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

Not sure I would say it is a bad idea, but if you can afford it go with max memory.

Nexus 5 probably will be released in the fall, the N6 the fall after that, then N7 the fall after that. Why not wait for the N20?
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

Despite what you'll hear, the 8Gb model is basically useless out of the box. In reality it has a little over 5GB available storage. For only $50 more save yourself the headaches of thinking twice of what to install and having to remove apps when you have reached the max. Also you can't run apps from cloud storage and it makes no sense to purchase OTG storage and wind up spending the total price of a 16GB model. When it comes to storage always purchase more than what you think you need. It's only $50 more and really a no brainer.
    Thanked by:

It all depends on what you're using it for. If you use your N4 for music (well plan on it) then go for the 16gb. I don't use it for that purpose and truth is most apps really don't take up a whole lot of space so I got the 8gb and I'm perfectly fine with it. I disagree with the guy above me, if you don't need the space why waste 50 bucks? I recommend looking at your old phone and seeing what you've used.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    yfan and Emma Challis like this.

If it was me, I would spend the extra cash to get the 16gb. Even if you don't need it now, you will probably appreciate it later.

For only 50$ more you double the storage...I say get the 16GB.

Unless you are a developer and just want to test apps, get the 16gb. It will also be easier to sell.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    Despite what you'll hear, the 8Gb model is basically useless out of the box. In reality it has a little over 5GB available storage. For only $50 more save yourself the headaches of thinking twice of what to install and having to remove apps when you have reached the max. Also you can't run apps from cloud storage and it makes no sense to purchase OTG storage and wind up spending the total price of a 16GB model. When it comes to storage always purchase more than what you think you need. It's only $50 more and really a no brainer.
    Unfortunately no OTG on the Nexus 4 at least running stock. I can vouch for that as I won a Samsung Muse from Android Central and the phone sync function worked on the Galaxy Nexus I was selling but did not on the Nexus 4 I had just bought.

Global Posts
    1,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

Go with the 16gb. That's double the memory for only $50 more. No brainer on that choice.

Global Posts
    1,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

Global Posts
    8,946 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

You'll get the most bang for your buck with the 16GB version versus the 8GB. Could you live with the 8GB version? Probably so. Just be sure to stay connected to the cloud and move files off the device whenever you can.

If I were you I get would the 8gb if you just mainly use storage for music and photos.

Global Posts
    1,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

Why You'll Regret Buying the 8GB Nexus 4 Another good article....

Stupid me I've been using a 8gig for 2 months and it was useless.

Depends how much you carry on your phone and how much you use cloud services to store photos. I'm using an 8gb Nexus 4 and have more then enough room for what I need while using Google drive for storing my photos. I don't put music on my phone or movies so its different for everyone. 8gb is enough for some people but not all.

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcgowan398 View Post
    I dont use a whole lot of apps but I have a lot of music and pictures so would the 8GB be good for me?
    If you can effectively use cloud storage - and the Nexus 4 is built for that - then yes, the 8GB will more than suffice for your needs. With automatic uploads supported by Google Plus and Dropbox, this is a no-brainer. Cloud storage not only reduces your need for local storage, it also makes your files available everywhere on any device with an Internet connection.
    Despite what you'll hear, the 8Gb model is basically useless out of the box. In reality it has a little over 5GB available storage.
    Despite sounding related, the two sentences in the above quote have zero to do with each other. Yes, in reality you will have a little over 5GB available for storage. No, that does NOT make the 8GB model "useless." If you need the storage, or you are the type of person who gets worried about storage (whether for good reason or not), then fine, spend the extra $50 (+ tax) and get the 16 GB model. But if not, and you never use that space, you just basically wasted $50 + tax.
    Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    It will also be easier to sell.
    This is actually the only legitimate argument for anyone who doesn't actually need more than 8 gigs of local storage to get the 16 gig model. Yes, the 16 GB model will be easier to sell; it will have better resale value. That, however, is only relevant if you actually plan to sell it in a window that will still have a relatively high price. I plan to keep my phone for two years or so, and I probably won't really sell it even after that and keep it as an extra device. The saving this device plus the T-mobile $30 Monthly4G plan gives me more than pays for a phone. :-)
    Thanked by:

Since I bought 2 8gbs, that saved me $100. I had to get one for my wife or she was going to steal mine.

With the cloud as it is, you're crazy to pay $50 for just 8gb. You realize that's over $6 per gb right? That's crazy expensive If 8 isn't enough, then 16 isn't either. Stick with the 8gb for your apps and use the cloud if you need extra space.

That's my thoughts anyway.

40 for 8 extra gig of memory? What's it made from, gold? It doesn't appear the smartest Google selling a smart phone with so little memory. Given they have massive purchasing power and buy in literally millions of units of memory, with the knowledge they'll be buying millions more in the future, surely they can get the lowest price going, ditch the nonsense 8gig model and get real with the memory sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by gcorliss View Post
    Go with the 16gb. That's double the memory for only $50 more. No brainer on that choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by gcorliss View Post
    You're assuming (along with the author of that article) that your Nexus 4 is going to be used for games and music etc. Does everyone use their N4 for this purpose? I'd like to take a good guess and say no. I use my N4 for work purposes, do I game a lot? Not really. Is my music on a separate mp3 to leave in my car? Yes it's just easier when you're on the road and having your music separated from your work phone. I'm sure a couple, if not a few people on these forums fit into my profile. Save the $50 bucks you don't need to spend and use it on accessories...or better yet, save it to take your girl out to dinner.
    MERCDROID, chuckf1 and gonito like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Marten View Post
    40 for 8 extra gig of memory? What's it made from, gold? It doesn't appear the smartest Google selling a smart phone with so little memory. Given they have massive purchasing power and buy in literally millions of units of memory, with the knowledge they'll be buying millions more in the future, surely they can get the lowest price going, ditch the nonsense 8gig model and get real with the memory sizes.
    Google doesn't want you to store stuff on your phone, that's the whole point of their cloud services.

Quote Originally Posted by adam514 View Post
    You're assuming (along with the author of that article) that your Nexus 4 is going to be used for games and music etc. Does everyone use their N4 for this purpose? I'd like to take a good guess and say no. I use my N4 for work purposes, do I game a lot? Not really. Is my music on a separate mp3 to leave in my car? Yes it's just easier when you're on the road and having your music separated from your work phone. I'm sure a couple, if not a few people on these forums fit into my profile. Save the $50 bucks you don't need to spend and use it on accessories...or better yet, save it to take your girl out to dinner.

Not sure how much experience you have with android, but I would wager that there are quite a few more people who bought the 8GB and wish they had bought the 16GB than the ones who bought the 16GB model and wish they had less space.

The OP was considering the 8GB because it is "cheaper" so I guess that $50 is a big difference. I would say skip eating out at all for a while, save the extra $50 and get the 16GB model. Much better to have it and not need it versus...well you know...
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    Not sure how much experience you have with android, but I would wager that there are quite a few more people who bought the 8GB and wish they had bought the 16GB than the ones who bought the 16GB model and wish they had less space.

The OP was considering the 8GB because it is "cheaper" so I guess that $50 is a big difference. I would say skip eating out at all for a while, save the extra $50 and get the 16GB model. Much better to have it and not need it versus...well you know...
    I've had a Nexus S for a little over a year and a half with 16gb. I used maybe 4-5gb of which at least 1gb were apps/games I really didn't use much so I got rid of them when I got my N4. Besides that, regardless of whether you use Android, BB, IOS or a Windows phone, I mentioned this before, check what you've used on your old phone, it's as simple as that. If you'd had a phone for at least a year that'll pretty much give you a good idea of what you need and not what others need. The whole "potentially need" argument perhaps is valid if you haven't had a phone for a long period of time and you're not really sure what kind of storage space you plan on using which comes right back to what you're going to use the phone for and not someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by adam514 View Post
    I've had a Nexus S for a little over a year and a half with 16gb. I used maybe 4-5gb of which at least 1gb were apps/games I really didn't use much so I got rid of them when I got my N4. Besides that, regardless of whether you use Android, BB, IOS or a Windows phone, I mentioned this before, check what you've used on your old phone, it's as simple as that. If you'd had a phone for at least a year that'll pretty much give you a good idea of what you need and not what others need. The whole "potentially need" argument perhaps is valid if you haven't had a phone for a long period of time and you're not really sure what kind of storage space you plan on using which comes right back to what you're going to use the phone for and not someone else.
    Agreed. I am certainly not a 100 app or 1000 song person. I have about 12 GB available maybe a bit less on my Nexus 4 right now. I do use Google Drive and Google play music so I do use the cloud on my Nexus. One more thing on having more storage is you have more potential buyers on resell. You will lose more potential customers with 8GB versus 16GB versus the other way around, especially if they ever come out with a 32 GB Nexus 4. Just my opinion.
    greydarrah likes this.

For $50, it's a no brainer to double your storage. It doesn't matter how you see your phone use today, tomorrow it could change. You might discover that you like audiobooks and start ripping your own instead of of using an online service. There are times when I have 5 or 6 gb of books on my phone. Who know what you might need a few extra gb for.

But honestly, and I apologize if this sounds harsh, if 50 bucks is a big deal to you at this point in your life, I'd just stick with whatever phone you have and wait til you've got more cash. If your reason is simply a question about storage space, ignore that previous comment...and buy the 16gb version.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    planoman likes this.

Whatever it is that you choose, don't forget to claim a free 50GB Box account for extra cloud storage.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    planoman and MERCDROID like this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast