• 1 Post By TvTechGuru
  • 1 Post By skyrockett
  • 1 Post By dopestar
  • 1 Post By neanderth4l
  • 1 Post By greydarrah
  • 1 Post By JHBThree
  • 1 Post By xlDeMoNiClx
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Why I had a Nexus 4 for 24 hours only....

So, I ordered my Nexus 4 like many others did the day they became available again recently and coudn't wait for it to get here. Immediately, out of the box, I was in love with the sleek design of my new handset. The next day, my new phone was the focus of many others attention and I almost felt like a spokesman for the phone, pitching it to everyone who raised a question about it. I was in complete ire.

Unfortunately, 18 hours after having the device and having above a 50% charge, my Nexus 4 powered itself off and became a brick. I panicked immediately and called the phone number given on the site and in the attached documentation. I had to call several times and was disconnected repeatedly. I spokke to attendants a couple times and they told me that if I got disconnected again, they could not call me back. Eventually, an hour later or so, I was able to talk to someone in support who had me try a few things to get the phone into recovery. None of this worked. This is when things went from bad to worse.

I was told that I would be transferred over to product return/replacement and of course was disconnected again. I tried again....and again.

I now made it through to product replacement was told that they would email me out the shipping label to return the phone back and that they would have to charge my account for the replacement in the meantime!!! So, Google basically wants me to fork out TWICE the money, so that I can wait to have them ship out another one and they won't refund my account until they inspect the original.

I'm not sure about how many of you can afford this, but I can't. I had saved for this phone and I had already arranged to sell my old phone. Basically, I'm screwed....So, I at least ask how long it will take to ship the replacement. I'm told 2-3 weeks, even if I'm a replacement!

I spoke to another supervisor to verify this, and that was their policy. I opted for a return over a refund and am sure that I will never purchase anything from Google again.

Default Re: Why I had a Nexus 4 for 24 hours only....

Wow that's really weird, and doesn't match other people's posts who've had similar problems. I've read maybe 2-3 other threads on here of people who bought it the day it became available and then within the first few days of having it had major problems. They called customer service and were immediately sent a shipping label for return. But, unlike you, they sent their phones back and received a new one in only 2-3 days! No billing, no questions asked! I don't know why you didn't receive the same good customer service from Google. That's very odd.
    Nexus 4 (Feb 2013 - Present)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (2011-2013)
    Verizon OG Droid (2009 - 2011)
    ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 (May 2012 - Present)
    Darth Spock likes this.

They will charge you in case you don't send the replacement from what I'm told. Once they get your faulty device and made sure you have sent it to them you will be refunded the second charge.

Normally when I get new devices I tend to restore them. Plus, I've read on XDA, plenty of people have had the brick issue. I heard you have to hold down the power button for at least a 30 seconds. Or Vol. Down and power. One of those two.

When I get the devices I like to restore them, just so these things won't happen. I got mine from Best Buy and it shipped rather quickly. First thing I did was restore it out of the box.. Well with the drivers issue since I restored from Windows.

I know this isn't much of an answer you were looking for, but I sure hope this all gets resolved.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    BlackBerry Bold 9700>iPhone 4>iPhone 4S>NOKIA Lumia 900>Samsung Galaxy Nexus>LG Nexus 4>Asus Nexus 7(2013)>LG Nexus 5

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

I just replied to u on androidforums lol :-)
    ispeakmath likes this.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Default Why I had a Nexus 4 for 24 hours only....

Quote Originally Posted by skyrockett View Post
    I just replied to u on androidforums lol :-)
    Lol be nice
    ispeakmath likes this.

Mine currently doesn't read any SIM card. It worked properly for nearly two days then just said "No SIM card. Emergency calls only."

I called customer service about it and they are sending me a replacement phone, but they are also putting a hold on my credit card for the value of a phone until they receive the old one back and have inspected it to make sure the problem is a not a user error.

Seems reasonable to me.
    Topgonzo likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I really wished I'd had the same experience some of you of had. I've always been a fan of Google, but this whole experience has turned me off entirely. I tried hard to reach out to Google and get some sort of response, but so far nothing. That is why I took to writing emails, emailing tech sites and their contributors, and posting my story to forums. Sharing my story was simply meant as a last resort, so that others could be aware that when you do not receive good service for Google, that there is no outlet for you to reach out to at this point and that you are left with no recourse.

Most companies that replace an item under warranty require that the defective unit be sent in before they even ship out a replacement. It doesn't seem like a big/bad deal to put a charge on your card to front you the phone until they receive your bad one. It's unfortunate that your funds are tight, but I don't see where this is anything that should be seen as bad business practice for Google. They are nice enough to send you a replacement before you have to return yours, and smart enough to make sure people don't rip them off (not at all implying that you'd do that, but there are some that would).
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Rizz1-2 likes this.

Sucks to hear about the wait times and disconnect issues with Google... besides the bricked phone, of course.

The charge for the replacement and the wait time does not seem unreasonable to me, though. 2-3 weeks was probably communicates to you by policy, but if people's experience is anything to go by, I doubt the wait will be that long. 3-4 days my guess.
    Thanked by:

Are you sure they were going to charge you then and there, or did they say they would charge you if they didn't receive it. A lot of companies do what is called an advanced exchange, where they ship out a replacement device to you, and you send the defective one back when you receive it. They also take your card number just in case you never send it back.
    Thanked by:
    Rizz1-2 likes this.

I don't know why you got such crappy service from google. My volume rocker got stuck (the top one) and I called in and they put a hold on my credit card (they did not charge my account) and sent me out a new one with a return label. Only then did I send back my old phone. And now everything is good!

Least give you another nexus 4 to use, most phone companies require you to mail it and while they inspect it you they send you a worthless brick! They may not charge you upfront but they know your not going to want to keep the brick and not get your phone back.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

This is also, to me, an example of the value of using actual stores. When one purchases things via the internet, while one may get the best price, the return process is a bit more difficult. I will sometimes pay a little higher price to gain the convenience of having a place to go to in the event of difficulties.

Sorry to hear of your difficulty with your google phone.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by OneTrueVu View Post
    I don't know why you got such crappy service from google. My volume rocker got stuck (the top one) and I called in and they put a hold on my credit card (they did not charge my account) and sent me out a new one with a return label. Only then did I send back my old phone. And now everything is good!
    Your return experience is very atypical compared to others. I had the same experience as above and couldn't have been more pleased. Perhaps you could try again with a better rep. Just to cover the obvious, you did call the customer contact number on the N4 support page?
    Thanked by:

This is really weird as everytime I had to have a phone exchanged they would send me a replacement then I send back the defective one. No charge or anything. Hopefully this gets sorted out.
    TvTechGuru likes this.

Check out this thread:

I think they are discussing the same problem, with phones that suddenly turns off at about 50 % charge or more. They think that there is something wrong with the algorithm that calculates the battery use and some say that their devices comes to life after some time left at charging. I hope it's helpful.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Google puts an "Authorization" on your credit card, not a full charge. If they do not receive your old phone within 21 days then they charge your card for the device. I went through this and they are not solid on the 21 days. The Nexus 4 was still hard to get at the time and I had to wait a few weeks before my replacement even shipped. They provide you with a shipping label so there are no shipping costs. Sent mine back and they received it outside of the 21 days and I was never charged.

Aside from the difficulty on availability, I thought the service was very good.

i have a refund pending.google.will not or cannot tell me the authorization drop off date.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by salonist View Post
    i have a refund pending.google.will not or cannot tell me the authorization drop off date.
    From my Google Play replacement order email:
    "Youve ordered a replacement from Google Play. The replacement order will appear as an authorization (AUTH) on your credit card but you will not be charged for the device, tax, or shipping, under normal circumstances.

Please check your email for instructions about returning your defective item. Return your defective item promptly to avoid being charged for this order. Please ensure that your shipment arrives at its destination within 21 days from the date of this order to avoid being charged. Following an inspection by the repair service center, the replacement device is yours to keep without charge if the problem is due to an issue covered under warranty."