Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Default Battery life

Hello, considering ordering a nexus 4 and keep reading so many different opinions on battery which is the only thing holding me back at the minute.

What are people's opinions on the battery? I would only be a moderate phone user over a 10-12 hour period.

Thanks

Default Re: Battery life

That would be fine with my usage patterns. That is about how I use it and it lasts the entire time without issue. If I have heavier usage than 12 hours, I might need to plug in for 30 minutes or so in the car etc.
    LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Dev Pre, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

I would consider myself a similar user as yourself and on average I'm left with about 30℅ at the end of the day.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

I once had 1 day 3 hrs on battery with 2 hr 12 min on screen, 1 hr 21 min on GPS(they drain battery like anything) with 13% remaining.

if my usage was less i usually get 2.5 hrs screen time with 1 hr on call and 2 days standby
    Thanked by:

Google play kills battery even if you pin the music you're listening to to the hard drive. I use the old android music player which I had to download from the app store. Hardly uses any battery

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I'm a moderate user and my phone usually has about 20% to 40% battery left at midnight when I plug in. The real question though, is how do you define moderate usage? For me, I never hesitate to use my phone for anything I might need. I'll Google Now an actors name, watch a movie trailer, use places to find a restaurant, check weather/radar, emails, TV schedule, take a picture, and I listen to audiobooks for about 3 to 5 hours a day as I go about my business. I also don't ever turn anything off on my phone (like GPS or wifi), and my screen brightness is at 50%. I don't have tons of emails or text every day, nor do I spend any time telling people that I just got a doughnut, tweeting (please read in valley girl accent) "OMG...this traffic sucks," or checking on my pretend virtual friends on facebook. I also don't stream movies on my phone (who wants to watch a good movie on 4 inches of real estate?), or spend a lot of time watching youtube videos. If you happen to like doing many of these things, then I wouldn't really call you a moderate user and would suggest that you might need a bump charge during the day.

I find this phone has the best battery life of any android device I've owned, but I believe a lot of that has to do with it not being an LTE device (LTE is a major battery killer). I'm sure something like the razor maxx would run longer between charges, but that's probably the only android phone that would, and I have no interest in owning a non Nexus device...ever. Downloading poorly written apps will kill your battery life faster than anything short of streaming video, but I don't have any of those apps, so I can't tell you which ones they are. Just pay attention to what you download and if you notice your battery dying quickly, remove your last couple of apps to see if it improves.

Overall, this is the best phone I've owned.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chealyjazz View Post
    I would consider myself a similar user as yourself and on average I'm left with about 30℅ at the end of the day.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
    My experiences are similar to chealyjazz' write-up.

My phone can't last a full day without charging by midday. It's largely due to prolonged usage of CloudAround whilst commuting to school/work.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I am very heavy user with a lot of NFS Most Wanted , HD YouTube , Flipboard , Web Browsing .. about 3 hours of screen on time with 25-18%

Pure Google 4.2.1 Nexus 4

ROM
    Stock

I generally use TuneIn Radio to stream a hockey game while I am at work. That is usually about 3 hours. Then usually another hour of streaming Google Music. With about 20 minutes in voice calls and some Google Talk I usually get home after 9 hours at work with 55%-60%. I am not complaining about battery life. But I will say that if I choose to watch a movie on Netflix my battery is usually close to 15% by the time I get home.

here are some recent screen shots of mine.almost all on wifi. I'd say moderate/heavy usage. Browsing facebook , android central, flip board, internet and funny jokes app And about 1 hour of pandora. Lots of texting no phone calls.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1360537236705.jpg   Battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1360537254371.jpg  
    Thanked by:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1360550196589.jpg   Battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1360550216492.jpg  

I'm getting 4+ hours of screen time, easy. Battery life is acceptable but I wouldn't call it "good" based on the other phones with much better longevity on the market atm.

I've disabled most syncs, location and GPS updates in the setting.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Battery life has been better than my iPhone 4S previously, which would have been "good" in my opinion. Battery standards have been a bit ruined since the RAZR Maxx and the Note 2 has awesome battery life. But compared to most smartphones, my Nexus 4 has been great. Yesterday I went from 9am to midnight, with a believe about 4 hours screen on time and I was at 15% when midnight rolled around.

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

Honest, I've had to charge my phone multiple times every day.

It's the one thing I hate about this phone, so much so that I'm considering returning it.

Most battery issues are software related, it's a shame they exist on such a phone but the upside is that there is something you can do about it. With basic battery management, your phone should last a whole day on a charge with moderate/light use. It's not a traveler's phone that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbyj View Post
    Honest, I've had to charge my phone multiple times every day.

It's the one thing I hate about this phone, so much so that I'm considering returning it.

Yep I've had a lot of android phones and none have lasted a full day without needing a charge.and by full day I'm taking when I wake up about 1pm until u get home from work at about 215am. only phone that would last that whole time was the iPhone 4 and it would only gave about 20-30% left so I would still charge it at work.
    If I wasn't on postpaid and was on a carrier I'd be all over the RAZR maxx. Although I feel even it would barely last as long as I want

Are any of you guys that are having battery problems also running the Light Flow notifications app? If so, I'm wondering how your battery life might change if you remove it and try to survive one day without that app. It killed my battery...at least, I think that's what was doing it.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    Yep I've had a lot of android phones and none have lasted a full day without needing a charge.and by full day I'm taking when I wake up about 1pm until u get home from work at about 215am. only phone that would last that whole time was the iPhone 4 and it would only gave about 20-30% left so I would still charge it at work.
    If I wasn't on postpaid and was on a carrier I'd be all over the RAZR maxx. Although I feel even it would barely last as long as I want

Give the Note 2 a try... That lasted me two days without a charge. Easy.

I'm a pretty heavy user too.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbyj View Post
    Give the Note 2 a try... That lasted me two days without a charge. Easy.

I'm a pretty heavy user too.

From the time I wake up till the time I get back home from work if need about 6 hours screen on time. Which I've seen the maxx can do. And I've seen a lot of people with 5+ with the note 2. I had the original note and didn't care for its size much.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    From the time I wake up till the time I get back home from work if need about 6 hours screen on time. Which I've seen the maxx can do. And I've seen a lot of people with 5+ with the note 2. I had the original note and didn't care for its size much.

6 hours of screen time is a lot for any phone other than the RAZR maxx or Note 2. I get 4+ regularly though. I would suggest you get a small Anker portable charger. Gives a great charge in no time and small enough to fit in your coat pocket.

Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    6 hours of screen time is a lot for any phone other than the RAZR maxx or Note 2. I get 4+ regularly though. I would suggest you get a small Anker portable charger. Gives a great charge in no time and small enough to fit in your coat pocket.

Ya I know it's a lot of time. And I'm usually around a charger so I'm not worried about it. But it would be really nice to be able to unplug when I wake up and not have to worry at all until I got back home. But since I'm prepaid there is no way I'm going on a carrier to get better battery life. I'm perfectly happy with the nexus 4 and its average battery life.

Thanked by:

I got my Note 2 in Oct and eventually the battery life would last me around around 14-16 hrs and I would still have 35-40% left before i went to bed and plugged it in...that was with JB 4.1.1......now with the new upgrade to JB 4.1.2 my the same time period my batter would be down to 15-20% or less with same activity use on it....I have read alot of forums but wondering why with the new upgrade it has gotten worse. They said that with this upgrade the battery life was suppose to improve....I got better usage from the old system....right now as i type this I am at 94% and only been running for 1hr55mins....its crazy....

lmao whats your secret...thats insane to last that long....i cant seem to figure it out...i have had mine since oct...

This is what you can get with light to moderate usage. There's almost no "leakage" when not in use. My Verizon GN burns a ton of juice when it's sleeping. The N4 can go a long time on standby.

N4 on T-Mo in Northern Virginia.

Battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1360728136239.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    zerkms likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast