Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 48 of 48
Like Tree39Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post

    Nope it isn't. A small amount but still confirms it. (Though I would hardly consider those predictions for 2016 very likely.)

    Plus:

    That too but honestly some of it I don't believe too much.

    Deny it if you want but even its a small amount, Apple is slowly losing out. They don't care about market share sure, but it's still there.
    You posted op eds. The numbers released last week show that both android and iOS increased their market share in 2012.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    Android not only challenges Apple, it far surpasses them. YOUR needs are fulfilled with Apple, but the fact is, Android is where innovation is. Apple is where copying is. And I didn't take one thing and ran with it. I anxiously read your post and then stopped after about the 3rd time that you said your Nexus wasn't an iPhone. You should have realized that the Nexus isn't an Apple product. Why did you assume it would be the same experience as your iPhone? I'm happy for you that you like Apple, but it's so old when people say they couldn't deal with an Android not being an iPhone. Give us legit reasons that Android falls short. Don't just say you couldn't handle it not having the Apple Store. You knew that going in.

    Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1
    Battery life? No dedicated messaging system that REALLY supports threaded group messages and that allows for text/images/video messages to be sent free of carrier charges? No working USB audio out (even though it is said to have been implemented in a previous version of JB)? No "start app at startup" or "always keep app running" options? No Bluetooth 4.0 support contrary to what google publicizes?

    Has nothing to do with "not being an iPhone" and everything to do with "not being as functional as it could and should be". Not hard to understand.
  3. #28  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    Android not only challenges Apple, it far surpasses them. YOUR needs are fulfilled with Apple, but the fact is, Android is where innovation is. Apple is where copying is. And I didn't take one thing and ran with it. I anxiously read your post and then stopped after about the 3rd time that you said your Nexus wasn't an iPhone. You should have realized that the Nexus isn't an Apple product. Why did you assume it would be the same experience as your iPhone? I'm happy for you that you like Apple, but it's so old when people say they couldn't deal with an Android not being an iPhone. Give us legit reasons that Android falls short. Don't just say you couldn't handle it not having the Apple Store. You knew that going in.

    Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1
    He mentioned battery life and bluetooth 4.0, apple tv etc to list 3. I also enjoy my apple tv and airplay from my ipad. Not to mention the Amazon instant video app and two seasons of Falling Skies, come on!!!

    Seriously, just as we find the Nexus 4 and other android devices to fit our needs, many others find iOS fits theirs. I understand about the family going iOS...my daughter, my sisters (2), my mother but I have been able to keep my android phone. It is all about which device and OS fits our needs the best as WE define them.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    Thanked by 2:
    MERCDROID likes this.
  4. #29  
    Citizen Coyote's Avatar

    Posts
    880 Posts
    ROM
    KK 4.4.2

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Quote Originally Posted by KarlDag View Post
    1. Both my parents, and wife, and mother in law use iPhones to share pictures and send video messages through iMessage. The threaded messaging functionality never worked for me with the Nexus, and they all would have had to start paying for MMS to send them to me... It's just not as functional.
    I don't quite get this. If they have iPhones, they must have data of some sort, so why would "paying" for MMS be a big deal? I do understand how seamlessly iMessage works with Apple things, though, so I'll give you that.

    2. Battery life. I have to say, the Nexus' was NOT as bad as people say around here, BUT the iPhone 5's battery life still blows it out of the water, all while including LTE which is a big battery hog.
    Agreed, while I have no complaints about the battery life on my Nexus 4, my wife can go two days on her iPhone 5 between charges.

    3. Although the website said it had Bluetooth 4.0, it really doesn't support it. I use a BT 4.0 heart rate monitor when I go for my runs, and it wasn't supported. Not a deal breaker itself, but annoying.
    Actually haven't tried using BT on my N4 yet, so I can't really say much about this one. If you had problems however I'll believe you, since 4.2.2 is supposed to fix BT support.

    4. It wouldn't stream audio through USB in my car like iPhones do. I would have had to use Aux line or bluetooth, but aux. loses my steering wheel controls and requires a 2nd cable, and Bluetooth has poor audio quality (in my car at least).
    Blame car manufacturers for the lack of audio controls, not Android. iPod functionality has been popular enough for long enough that many manufacturers build in support for it. They're starting to do that for Android now too, but in the mean time you have to find alternate solutions.

    5. I have lots of Apple products, including AppleTV and a Mac Mini which uses iTunes to stream movies and music through the house through wifi. There ARE apps like Remote for iTunes and DoubleTwist/AirSync, but they are simply very far from Apple's offering on iOS. Both visually and in functionality.
    Sometimes the best device for you is whatever OS/ecosystem you're most invested in. For me, an iPhone would be pointless because I do not have a bunch of Apple products.

    6. I use the Do Not Disturb feature on the iPhone. I found Silencify on Jelly Bean which was working very well, I'd have to restart it manually everytime I rebooted the phone and when it closed down... Android should have "Start application at startup" and "Always keep open" options for such apps, I found that was a big thing lacking.
    DND is a nifty feature, would be nice to see it implemented into Android. That said, there are probably other apps that do the same thing as Silencify on the Play store. That's the beauty of apps (both Android and iOS); if you don't like one, there's bound to be another out there to try.

    This isn't meant as an attack. If Android doesn't work for you, it doesn't work. No point in name calling or bashing. Using Android is accepting some drawbacks in exchange for more control. Personally I can't live with Apple's closed ecosystem, and Android works best for me. Maybe in the future it will work for you. In the meantime, stick with what helps you be productive and enjoy day to day life.
    MERCDROID and jludwig57 like this.
  5. #30  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Quote Originally Posted by KarlDag View Post
    Battery life? No dedicated messaging system that REALLY supports threaded group messages and that allows for text/images/video messages to be sent free of carrier charges? No working USB audio out (even though it is said to have been implemented in a previous version of JB)? No "start app at startup" or "always keep app running" options? No Bluetooth 4.0 support contrary to what google publicizes?

    Has nothing to do with "not being an iPhone" and everything to do with "not being as functional as it could and should be". Not hard to understand.
    My battery life is fantastic. I've owned a Droid Razr Maxx so I know what good battery life is. I now own the S3, and I am still very satisfied with the battery life. So your battery life issue rings hollow with me. You probably downloaded an app that killed the battery. That's not the Nexus' fault.

    As far as the dedicated messaging system: Voxer, Heytell, and probably a handful of others. Just because it looks different than imessage, doesn't mean it's a weakness of Android. You just have to open your eyes and look into it. I know, that's a lot to ask.

    As far as USB out and Bluetooth 4.0, I can't speak to the problems on the Nexus 4 because I use a S3 with my stereo in my truck.

    Again, half of what you pointed out to "prove your point" are things that you should have known would be different on different platforms. It isn't the Nexus' fault if you're too lazy to do your research. IT also doesn't make Apple superior. It just means that you will never leave your comfort zone to discover bigger and BETTER things because change is hard for you. There are many things Android does that iOS does not. But I do not have to list them because I am smart enough to know what I HAVE TO HAVE in my cell phone, so I stick to what fits my needs. I wouldn't switch to Apple and then whine about them not fulfilling my needs when it is my responsibility as a consumer to look into the product first.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    My battery life is fantastic. I've owned a Droid Razr Maxx so I know what good battery life is. I now own the S3, and I am still very satisfied with the battery life. So your battery life issue rings hollow with me. You probably downloaded an app that killed the battery. That's not the Nexus' fault.

    As far as the dedicated messaging system: Voxer, Heytell, and probably a handful of others. Just because it looks different than imessage, doesn't mean it's a weakness of Android. You just have to open your eyes and look into it. I know, that's a lot to ask.

    As far as USB out and Bluetooth 4.0, I can't speak to the problems on the Nexus 4 because I use a S3 with my stereo in my truck.

    Again, half of what you pointed out to "prove your point" are things that you should have known would be different on different platforms. It isn't the Nexus' fault if you're too lazy to do your research. IT also doesn't make Apple superior. It just means that you will never leave your comfort zone to discover bigger and BETTER things because change is hard for you. There are many things Android does that iOS does not. But I do not have to list them because I am smart enough to know what I HAVE TO HAVE in my cell phone, so I stick to what fits my needs. I wouldn't switch to Apple and then whine about them not fulfilling my needs when it is my responsibility as a consumer to look into the product first.
    This will be my last answer to you because I'm not here to argue iOS vs Android, I'm here to help some people make their decision to get the Nexus 4 or not and give them some insight from my experience.

    I did not download apps that killed the battery. The only things I ran constantly were Nova Launcher Prime and Silencify. Actually, as I said, the battery life was GOOD, just still far from Apple's offering, which has been proven on just about every review of the Nexus 4. I'm not trying to put Android down, just stating the fact that the iPhone 5 can last pretty easily up to 2 days with LTE enabled.

    Sure Voxer, Heytell, Whatsapp all exist. My point is I shouldn't have to bother to convince friends and family to download and switch to a different messaging app to suit my needs. I can use WhatsApp all day if I want, no one around me will ever answer it, because they don't have it, period. There should be a better system to use to begin with on all Android offerings, one that is more reliable than SMS, works through wifi/data.

    Also, who said I was lazy and didn't want to leave my comfort zone? You are a very rude and obnoxious individual trying to bully me online to prove how Android is greater than iOS. Guess what? I already said I love Android and wish to switch again eventually. There are simply too many issues at this point for me to enjoy the switch.

    Go ahead and love your Android, I'm not trying to get you to leave it. I actually think it IS great, just needs some core improvements to make the switch easier. That's the beauty of competition, it gets everyone to up their game.
  7. #32  
    necorbin's Avatar

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    I had to thank AND like your post... It's refreshing to see someone post valid, non-fanboy thoughts on why they chose one platform over another....

    To your points, they are all valid. I'm with you on point #4. I wish the car manufacturers would figure out some standard to let all smartphone platforms integrate into the audio....

    It is too bad Google Music isn't available in your area yet. I was an itunes diehard, and still use it to buy some songs, but Google Music has become my best friend.

    This is why they have the saying, different strokes for different folks... Although, I have a feeling we'll be seeing you back soon enough... I don't see Apple changing the formula too much next go around.
    Livin La Vida NOTA!!! Lovin my Galaxy Note 2 on the Now Network!
    MERCDROID likes this.
  8. #33  
    c_Hacks Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    I use both an GNex and iPhone 4s and like to switch between them every few weeks. I have to say that Android has come a long way with phone apps, but as you point out there are always a few differences.

    As great as it is to customize by Nexus with Go Launcher, and set up widgets, its not something I'm going to ask my mother to do. She panics at the thought of updating an app. Its also much easier to have the whole family using the same interface. Unfortunately, every android maker has a different one, not to mention launchers. I've used Moto Droids since 2009 and my GNex for a year, but I still can't figure out my wife's Droid Incredible 2 UI - Is HTC making their phones hard to use on purpose.

    As far as interoperability outside their ecosystem, anyone that thinks that Android has the advantage needs to open their eyes.
    - Apple's BT is compatible with more devices than almost any other phone.
    - Most cars now have Apple USB interfaces - that won't work work with Android.
    - My Apple TV was easier to set up with my Vizio and Samsung TVs than any other device I've used.
    - I buy all my music from Amazon which has a very easy way to load it all automatically into iTunes - Android's got nothing to compare
    - DirecTV streams and downloads to my iPad and iPhone - not Android
    - my Fitbit BT syncs with my iPhone, not to any Android phone.

    Based on all these experiences, I've found its actually Android that's in a walled garden.

    Oh, and my 15 months old iPhone just got another update - on the day the update was released. My Verizon "Nexus" is still waiting for JB 4.2 that was released in November.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Quote Originally Posted by mattmatt299 View Post
    I use both an GNex and iPhone 4s and like to switch between them every few weeks. I have to say that Android has come a long way with phone apps, but as you point out there are always a few differences.

    As great as it is to customize by Nexus with Go Launcher, and set up widgets, its not something I'm going to ask my mother to do. She panics at the thought of updating an app. Its also much easier to have the whole family using the same interface. Unfortunately, every android maker has a different one, not to mention launchers. I've used Moto Droids since 2009 and my GNex for a year, but I still can't figure out my wife's Droid Incredible 2 UI - Is HTC making their phones hard to use on purpose.

    As far as interoperability outside their ecosystem, anyone that thinks that Android has the advantage needs to open their eyes.
    - Apple's BT is compatible with more devices than almost any other phone.
    - Most cars now have Apple USB interfaces - that won't work work with Android.
    - My Apple TV was easier to set up with my Vizio and Samsung TVs than any other device I've used.
    - I buy all my music from Amazon which has a very easy way to load it all automatically into iTunes - Android's got nothing to compare
    - DirecTV streams and downloads to my iPad and iPhone - not Android
    - my Fitbit BT syncs with my iPhone, not to any Android phone.

    Based on all these experiences, I've found its actually Android that's in a walled garden.

    Oh, and my 15 months old iPhone just got another update - on the day the update was released. My Verizon "Nexus" is still waiting for JB 4.2 that was released in November.
    I wouldn't call Android a walled garden. I think it's actually the opposite, it's TOO opened up, if that's possible at all. What I mean is that anybody who THINKS they have programming skills writes half-baked apps for it, and as a result, most apps are not properly designed or thought out.

    If anything, Android lacks integration. The OS itself is great, but there should be a way to integrate what you want to it more easily, and in a more "tied-in" fashion. I guess on top of apps they should create "OS extensions", where you could have there extensions (Silencify/Do Not Disturb being an example) where you could attach this to the OS. Starts with it, reboots with it, always on.

    The way it's made now you never know when your added functionalities (through apps) will get closed to free up ressources, or maybe you'll just forget to start them up again after a reboot.
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
  10. #35  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Bu-bye!
  11. #36  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    If you would have purchased an HTC DROID DNA., you wouldn't have faced that disappointment, this is a well built phone not made of glass.

    Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA
  12. #37  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Don't know much about the Nexus but I know my s3 can connect to blue tooth devices no problem.

    Oh and the whole market share debate:

    There hard evidence that Apple has lost almost 2% market share.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  13. #38  
    thenameisnigel's Avatar

    Posts
    1,414 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,424 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Quote Originally Posted by KarlDag View Post
    I had the Nexus 4 for a few days, but in the end I decided to sell it and got a used iPhone 5 for 450$ (Nexus was 430$ for me, shipping and taxes included).

    I actually LOVED the Nexus 4 more than the iPhone, but there were many little annoyances that kept me from really enjoying it:

    1. Both my parents, and wife, and mother in law use iPhones to share pictures and send video messages through iMessage. The threaded messaging functionality never worked for me with the Nexus, and they all would have had to start paying for MMS to send them to me... It's just not as functional.
    2. Battery life. I have to say, the Nexus' was NOT as bad as people say around here, BUT the iPhone 5's battery life still blows it out of the water, all while including LTE which is a big battery hog.
    3. Although the website said it had Bluetooth 4.0, it really doesn't support it. I use a BT 4.0 heart rate monitor when I go for my runs, and it wasn't supported. Not a deal breaker itself, but annoying.
    4. It wouldn't stream audio through USB in my car like iPhones do. I would have had to use Aux line or bluetooth, but aux. loses my steering wheel controls and requires a 2nd cable, and Bluetooth has poor audio quality (in my car at least).
    5. I have lots of Apple products, including AppleTV and a Mac Mini which uses iTunes to stream movies and music through the house through wifi. There ARE apps like Remote for iTunes and DoubleTwist/AirSync, but they are simply very far from Apple's offering on iOS. Both visually and in functionality.
    6. I use the Do Not Disturb feature on the iPhone. I found Silencify on Jelly Bean which was working very well, I'd have to restart it manually everytime I rebooted the phone and when it closed down... Android should have "Start application at startup" and "Always keep open" options for such apps, I found that was a big thing lacking.

    The thing I miss the most about the Nexus, and which was the biggest reason I had switched over was the SCREEN SIZE. God I want bigger screen size... and the Nexus' is a beautiful one.

    I recognize that Apple needs to step up it's game OS wise. iOS is very dated, I miss widgets, etc. but it also packs in all these little details that make it easy to use. You lose many options, but, as they say, I find that "it just works".

    Now, if Android can fix a few of the issues mentionned up here, and if Apple doesn't improve iOS a lot with iOS 7, I think this might be my last iPhone (had the 4S and 3 before), but for now it's just much simpler for me.

    EDIT If only Google made Google Music available in Canada my iTunes issues would be fixed almost completely, I'd stream the music through Google. And fix the Bluetooth 4.0 issue... I can deal without iMessage, even if I'd like Android to play nicer with it.
    Cool story bro.


    Official OpenROM Developer
    Want to contribute to OpenROM? Click HERE.
    Want to view my personal GitHub? Click HERE.
  14. #39  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Quote Originally Posted by zapfrog View Post
    Don't know much about the Nexus but I know my s3 can connect to blue tooth devices no problem.

    Oh and the whole market share debate:

    There hard evidence that Apple has lost almost 2% market share.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    The numbers that references are from September. There were numbers released last week that showed both android and iOS gained share.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  15. #40  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Quote Originally Posted by KarlDag View Post
    This will be my last answer to you because I'm not here to argue iOS vs Android, I'm here to help some people make their decision to get the Nexus 4 or not and give them some insight from my experience.

    I did not download apps that killed the battery. The only things I ran constantly were Nova Launcher Prime and Silencify. Actually, as I said, the battery life was GOOD, just still far from Apple's offering, which has been proven on just about every review of the Nexus 4. I'm not trying to put Android down, just stating the fact that the iPhone 5 can last pretty easily up to 2 days with LTE enabled.

    Sure Voxer, Heytell, Whatsapp all exist. My point is I shouldn't have to bother to convince friends and family to download and switch to a different messaging app to suit my needs. I can use WhatsApp all day if I want, no one around me will ever answer it, because they don't have it, period. There should be a better system to use to begin with on all Android offerings, one that is more reliable than SMS, works through wifi/data.

    Also, who said I was lazy and didn't want to leave my comfort zone? You are a very rude and obnoxious individual trying to bully me online to prove how Android is greater than iOS. Guess what? I already said I love Android and wish to switch again eventually. There are simply too many issues at this point for me to enjoy the switch.

    Go ahead and love your Android, I'm not trying to get you to leave it. I actually think it IS great, just needs some core improvements to make the switch easier. That's the beauty of competition, it gets everyone to up their game.
    I'm not bullying you. I am however wondering what the point of this thread is. For you to tell everyone that you love the Nexus 4 more than the iPhone but you are going back to the iPhone so you can send text messages to your family? It's not like you can't send texts to your family from an Android. You just insist on it being done the iMessage way.

    I don't care that you prefer iOS. That's what makes the world great. People like different things and you have to go with what you like. The majority of my responses were to people jumping in and acting like they were "defending" you, when my initial post was not meant as an attack. It's just a sad world we live in when you prefer the Nexus 4, but you can't use it because another greedy company has you by the junk and will never let go. Believe me, it will be no different in a few years when you decide to try it again. Android will still be different than iOS. Locking ourselves into one ecosystem and pretending it's "ease of use" is fooling ourselves. That is exactly what these companies want you to believe. People will call me a "fanboy" or whatever and that's okay, but i'm not the one who can't make my own decisions when I find something I prefer over another.
  16. #41  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Quote Originally Posted by mattmatt299 View Post
    Oh, and my 15 months old iPhone just got another update - on the day the update was released. My Verizon "Nexus" is still waiting for JB 4.2 that was released in November.
    That's Verizon's fault, not Android. If you disagree, get the Nexus 4 on AT&T or T-Mobile and see how different it is and will be. Again, if all of those apps you use work better on Apple products, that's great. Buy Apple. Galaxy Nexus was a failure. A lot of Android devices are. So for your happiness and better sleep at night, keep comparing low end or failed Android devices to the best that Apple has to offer. If you ever want a shock of your lifetime, try the Droid DNA, S3, Note 2, Nexus 4, or other top Android devices. That's where the fair comparisons exist.
  17. #42  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Have to respect the OP point of view. I have both a Galaxy Tab 2 and an iPad as well as an iPhone 4S and a Note 2. Love all my devices and am constantly switching or playing with a different one at any given time. They all have their pros and cons and I would never bash any of them.

    All the OP is doing is giving a story about his experience with the Nexus 4. I don't understand why some people can't except that there's more than one good product out there and have to be so one sided. Is everything in your lives black and white? I get many Android fans don't like iOS, and that's fine as there is no right or wrong answer its a matter of personal preference and what works best for that individual.
    Thanked by:
    MERCDROID and KarlDag like this.
  18. #43  
    Citizen Coyote's Avatar

    Posts
    880 Posts
    ROM
    KK 4.4.2

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Quote Originally Posted by mattmatt299 View Post
    I use both an GNex and iPhone 4s and like to switch between them every few weeks. I have to say that Android has come a long way with phone apps, but as you point out there are always a few differences.

    As great as it is to customize by Nexus with Go Launcher, and set up widgets, its not something I'm going to ask my mother to do. She panics at the thought of updating an app. Its also much easier to have the whole family using the same interface. Unfortunately, every android maker has a different one, not to mention launchers. I've used Moto Droids since 2009 and my GNex for a year, but I still can't figure out my wife's Droid Incredible 2 UI - Is HTC making their phones hard to use on purpose.

    As far as interoperability outside their ecosystem, anyone that thinks that Android has the advantage needs to open their eyes.
    - Apple's BT is compatible with more devices than almost any other phone.
    - Most cars now have Apple USB interfaces - that won't work work with Android.
    - My Apple TV was easier to set up with my Vizio and Samsung TVs than any other device I've used.
    - I buy all my music from Amazon which has a very easy way to load it all automatically into iTunes - Android's got nothing to compare
    - DirecTV streams and downloads to my iPad and iPhone - not Android
    - my Fitbit BT syncs with my iPhone, not to any Android phone.

    Based on all these experiences, I've found its actually Android that's in a walled garden.

    Oh, and my 15 months old iPhone just got another update - on the day the update was released. My Verizon "Nexus" is still waiting for JB 4.2 that was released in November.
    Wait... what?

    - I don't know about the BT thing, but see my post above about cars. That's the manufacturers' doing, not Android's.
    - Your Apple TV was easier to set up than a blu-ray player (plug in HDMI cable, done)? Ok... and has nothing to do with Android or phones.
    - Um, Amazon is heavily invested in Android. You can't buy Amazon MP3s through an app on iOS, unless you use Safari (but you can on Android!). You can import music into iTunes with Amazon's desktop MP3 downloader, but you can do that with Google Music, too: download your music, then consolidate your library in iTunes. Done. And Google Music will automatically upload any music you buy in iTunes, no extra step required. I use all three.
    - DirectTV only streaming to iOS is, again, not the fault of Android but rather DirectTV. Time Warner, for example, does offer streaming on Android.
    - Really?
    - Your iPhone getting an update before your GNex is entirely Verizon's fault. Verizon wouldn't dare meddle with Apple's updates, lest the 800lb gorilla throw a temper tantrum. Google does not have that level of clout for whatever reason, so updates get delayed. This is just one reason why there is no Nexus 4 on Verizon.

    You're confusing "" with "less support." Big difference.
    Thanked by 3:
  19. #44  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Interesting how these threads get so polarized. Personally, I thank Steve Jobs and Apple for the iPhone. It was the proverbial model T of the smart phone world.

    Apple still owns the out of the box user experience. Everything works (new maps still has a ways to go) on the phone, and "everything" works with the phone. The "closed" ecosystem offers significantly more choice in hardware and software add-ons. And for the most part, these offer better design than any available Android counterparts.

    So why use Android? For me it is mostly:

    Unlocked and off contract.

    Open file system.

    Better interface.

    But I am frustrated that Google has borked bluetooth, and that many core apps have inexplicably missing features, and much of what "should be in there" is simply AWOL.

    While most of this can be worked around by those that wish to constantly fiddle with their phone (me included), it doesn't take courage (that comment was laughable). It takes time. Time many smart phone users would rather spend using their phones rather than tinkering with them.

    This type of user is not stupid, sheeply, or blind. They simply have better things to do with their time than constantly monkeying with a tool they bought so they can be more productive in the first place.

    There are simply two mindsets here. Some folks by a car to drive. Others buy one to make a hobby out of customizing. I wouldn't classify either one of them as being less savvy, courageous, energetic, etc. They just have different priorities in life.

    Android has made herculean strides in the last year or two, but still lacks much of the polish and ecosystem of iOS. I am of course hopeful that things will continue to improve, but I am not so stubborn in my decision to go with Android that I can't be objective about what the other guy does far better. Blindly recommending one platform over the other does more a disservice to the recommendee than anything else.
    sonicresidue likes this.
  20. #45  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cant Miss View Post
    Interesting how these threads get so polarized. Personally, I thank Steve Jobs and Apple for the iPhone. It was the proverbial model T of the smart phone world.

    Apple still owns the out of the box user experience. Everything works (new maps still has a ways to go) on the phone, and "everything" works with the phone. The "closed" ecosystem offers significantly more choice in hardware and software add-ons. And for the most part, these offer better design than any available Android counterparts.

    So why use Android? For me it is mostly:

    Unlocked and off contract.

    Open file system.

    Better interface.

    But I am frustrated that Google has borked bluetooth, and that many core apps have inexplicably missing features, and much of what "should be in there" is simply AWOL.

    While most of this can be worked around by those that wish to constantly fiddle with their phone (me included), it doesn't take courage (that comment was laughable). It takes time. Time many smart phone users would rather spend using their phones rather than tinkering with them.

    This type of user is not stupid, sheeply, or blind. They simply have better things to do with their time than constantly monkeying with a tool they bought so they can be more productive in the first place.

    There are simply two mindsets here. Some folks by a car to drive. Others buy one to make a hobby out of customizing. I wouldn't classify either one of them as being less savvy, courageous, energetic, etc. They just have different priorities in life.

    Android has made herculean strides in the last year or two, but still lacks much of the polish and ecosystem of iOS. I am of course hopeful that things will continue to improve, but I am not so stubborn in my decision to go with Android that I can't be objective about what the other guy does far better. Blindly recommending one platform over the other does more a disservice to the recommendee than anything else.
    Considering Jellybean is just as smooth as iOS which many Android users will agree with and the fact that millions of people prefer Androids ecosystem over iOS's and more are leaving iOS because of it that part of your post is inaccurate.

    But you're right that threads like these can get quite out of hand.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
  21. #46  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    Considering Jellybean is just as smooth as iOS which many Android users will agree with and the fact that millions of people prefer Androids ecosystem over iOS's and more are leaving iOS because of it that part of your post is inaccurate.
    You quoted my entire post. Just what part of it do you feel is inaccurate?
  22. #47  

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    I will take these "disadvantages" if it means I'm free to use what I like. I see nothing that is worth being locked into ONE company and whatever they tell me I need.

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
    And thats your opinion I dont mind if im locked down in a company as long as everything works together. I should point out I dont have an iPhone I have a nexus 4
  23. #48  
    kylep23's Avatar

    Posts
    169 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.09

    Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

    I hated and eventually sold my iPhone 5 because of the incessant buzzing from people texting me and emailing me while I'm in call. Android lets you turn off in call notifications. Apple, not so much.

    Sent from my SCH-i605 using Tapatalk 2
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. I want to love the Nexus 4 but.....
    By tcm1969 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 04:51 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 02:51 PM
  3. One more reason to love the Nexus!
    By Somethingsfishy in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 03:08 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 09:23 PM
  5. Love the Droid X, but the Iphone camera owns the Droids
    By Thadeus50 in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 04:42 PM

Posting Permissions

B