Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

I had the Nexus 4 for a few days, but in the end I decided to sell it and got a used iPhone 5 for 450$ (Nexus was 430$ for me, shipping and taxes included).

I actually LOVED the Nexus 4 more than the iPhone, but there were many little annoyances that kept me from really enjoying it:

1. Both my parents, and wife, and mother in law use iPhones to share pictures and send video messages through iMessage. The threaded messaging functionality never worked for me with the Nexus, and they all would have had to start paying for MMS to send them to me... It's just not as functional.
    2. Battery life. I have to say, the Nexus' was NOT as bad as people say around here, BUT the iPhone 5's battery life still blows it out of the water, all while including LTE which is a big battery hog.
    3. Although the website said it had Bluetooth 4.0, it really doesn't support it. I use a BT 4.0 heart rate monitor when I go for my runs, and it wasn't supported. Not a deal breaker itself, but annoying.
    4. It wouldn't stream audio through USB in my car like iPhones do. I would have had to use Aux line or bluetooth, but aux. loses my steering wheel controls and requires a 2nd cable, and Bluetooth has poor audio quality (in my car at least).
    5. I have lots of Apple products, including AppleTV and a Mac Mini which uses iTunes to stream movies and music through the house through wifi. There ARE apps like Remote for iTunes and DoubleTwist/AirSync, but they are simply very far from Apple's offering on iOS. Both visually and in functionality.
    6. I use the Do Not Disturb feature on the iPhone. I found Silencify on Jelly Bean which was working very well, I'd have to restart it manually everytime I rebooted the phone and when it closed down... Android should have "Start application at startup" and "Always keep open" options for such apps, I found that was a big thing lacking.

The thing I miss the most about the Nexus, and which was the biggest reason I had switched over was the SCREEN SIZE. God I want bigger screen size... and the Nexus' is a beautiful one.

I recognize that Apple needs to step up it's game OS wise. iOS is very dated, I miss widgets, etc. but it also packs in all these little details that make it easy to use. You lose many options, but, as they say, I find that "it just works".

Now, if Android can fix a few of the issues mentionned up here, and if Apple doesn't improve iOS a lot with iOS 7, I think this might be my last iPhone (had the 4S and 3 before), but for now it's just much simpler for me.

EDIT If only Google made Google Music available in Canada my iTunes issues would be fixed almost completely, I'd stream the music through Google. And fix the Bluetooth 4.0 issue... I can deal without iMessage, even if I'd like Android to play nicer with it.
    Last edited by KarlDag; 02-10-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Default Re: I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

I hate the way apple (and other companies) lock you into their world so they can farm you for your cash. It's for that reason I avoid companies like that.
    JET4 and LegalAmerican like this.

I must say you have a lot of valid reasons for switching back. That said I think some branded android phones could have filled the void on many of the things you have listed here. Many of the OEM skins are very functional and really make vanilla android rather plain. I have note 2 and it is simply the most functional device I have seen. That said, I still like my Nexus 4 for no bloat and maximum customizing.

I also have a ipad 3 which my wife wanted to use for some medical apps and literature. So I had a decision to make regarding a new full sized tablet. I strongly looked at 3 models. The Nexus 10, Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Ipad 4. I researched them all for about a week and ultimately went with a new ipad. For many of the reasons you mentioned included a lot of paid apps for my kids ipad's (I have the itunes account) and facetime and imessage etc with extended family.

One thing that helped me decide was there are so many Google apps available for ipad. Chrome, Drive, Calendar etc., so they help keep me in sync with my phones. Having said that, the apple app store is just hard to beat for depth and breadth of apps.

A lot of what keeps you with a platform is how tied into the ecosystem you are. Although I am sure many of us own both platforms.

Full disclosure: I have significant positions in both Apple and Google stock! LOL!
    Last edited by planoman; 02-10-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    jroc and MERCDROID like this.

Google does the same thing. Now I love my nexus 4 but the iPhone 4S I had before was just more polished, iOS may not have all the features but the features that it had were solid and polished IMHO

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Marten View Post
    I hate the way apple (and other companies) lock you into their world so they can farm you for your cash. It's for that reason I avoid companies like that.
    It has its advantages though because then they can control things and make them easier to use and more unified, which is the best thing about ios IMO. I personally love android but I'd suggest an iphone to any of my technologically challenged friends/family. You may lose out on some choices but most people are ok with that because the choices just confuse them.

One example is the disjointed way you store your information in the cloud. Rather than having one place to go for all your media (like iTunes) you have to use:

-Play for music
    -Google+ for seeing your auto uploaded pics
    -Youtube for videos
    -Carbon for apps/app data (How do they not do this themselves yet?)
    -Drive for miscellaneous junk.
    -GMail for calendar and contacts

They don't have to merge the services but they really need a program or something to act as a one stop location to organize all your stuff.

There would be only 3 reasons why I would switch to an iPhone
    1. I love gaming and IOS is King

2. The ability to listen to YouTube audio in the Lockscreen.

3. The Battery life.

Pure Google 4.2.1 Nexus 4

So basically you LOVED the phone, but since it isn't an iPhone you had to get rid of it? It isn't the Nexus' fault that Apple is stupid and makes their ecosystem compatible with anything but Apple. But it's cool that they've gotten so many people in their trap so that they no longer have agency.

I'm not bashing you, I'm bashing the idea that we "have so many Apple products" so we'll never support anything else. It's a shame that you LOVE the Nexus 4 but can't use it because Apple is ed. They need to make things compatible

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Quote Originally Posted by quamdar View Post
    It has its advantages though because then they can control things and make them easier to use and more unified, which is the best thing about ios IMO. I personally love android but I'd suggest an iphone to any of my technologically challenged friends/family. You may lose out on some choices but most people are ok with that because the choices just confuse them.

One example is the disjointed way you store your information in the cloud. Rather than having one place to go for all your media (like iTunes) you have to use:

-Play for music
    -Youtube for videos

They don't have to merge the services but they really need a program or something to act as a one stop location to organize all your stuff.
    I will take these "disadvantages" if it means I'm free to use what I like. I see nothing that is worth being locked into ONE company and whatever they tell me I need.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Telespielstube likes this.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    I will take these "disadvantages" if it means I'm free to use what I like. I see nothing that is worth being locked into ONE company and whatever they tell me I need.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    That's fine if that's cool for you, I'm just saying a majority of people would rather lose some choice for ease of use.

That's fine if that's cool for you, I'm just saying a majority of people would rather lose some choice for ease of use.
    It's not like Android isn't easy to use. You just have to have the courage to leave imessage behind and do your research to find what works. I guess you can always hope that the big wigs at Apple always have your best interests in mind since you will never leave them. And then they laugh when people refer to it as "ease of use". How would it be to make it rich off people who close their eyes and play follow the leader all the way to your bank?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1
    androidnexus18 likes this.

Considering what's going on with so many people leaving Apple especially after the iPhone 5 came out and Apple losing more and more market share, I wouldn't call it the majority anymore.
    Thanked by:
    LegalAmerican and MERCDROID like this.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

I have to agree with the OP in that, although iOS is very outdated as far as features and freedom and that I personally think Android is far superior (why else am I a member?), iOS "just works". Except for Apple Maps, of course (I mean, just try searching for Tarsdorf on Apple Maps).
    MERCDROID likes this.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

-Play for music
    -Youtube for videos

Um the majority of things you mentioned aren't covered by iTunes. Let me explain each point you have.

-Play for music
    Exactly. Google Play is, in essence, the equivalent of iTunes

I'm not sure iTunes is where you go for that. I might be wrong though. That aside, the only use for Instant Upload is to post on G+. So it would make sense to go to G+ to see them.

-YouTube for videos
    No Apple product can be used for watching videos. Apple used YouTube up to iOS 5 and hasn't made a replacement in iOS 6.

-Carbon for apps/app data
    Last I checked, iTunes can't back up your data.

-Drive for miscellaneous junk
    You mean a cloud storage service? There is no Apple equivalent for this, either.

-Gmail for calendar and contacts
    Mail isn't integrated into iTunes. Enough said.
    xlDeMoNiClx and MERCDROID like this.

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    Um the majority of things you mentioned aren't covered by iTunes. Let me explain each point you have.

-Play for music
    Exactly. Google Play is, in essence, the equivalent of iTunes

I'm not sure iTunes is where you go for that. I might be wrong though. That aside, the only use for Instant Upload is to post on G+. So it would make sense to go to G+ to see them.

-YouTube for videos
    No Apple product can be used for watching videos. Apple used YouTube up to iOS 5 and hasn't made a replacement in iOS 6.

-Carbon for apps/app data
    Last I checked, iTunes can't back up your data.

-Drive for miscellaneous junk
    You mean a cloud storage service? There is no Apple equivalent for this, either.

-Gmail for calendar and contacts
    Mail isn't integrated into iTunes. Enough said.

You can back up to itunes with a cord and computer. You can also backup with icloud which I believe cost $$$ and is under the itunes umbrella, I think. I had a free trial icloud backup with my ipad and it even backed up up my progress on games like Beach buggy and Zombie Gunship so when I restored to a new ipad, the games were on the same level. Most of the stuff you are talking about can be done under icloud which people may be calling itunes?
    OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    Thanked by:

ROM
    GB 2.3.6

Ok, I hear you. Now, Ive got an even crazier story for you. Ive had an Android phone since late 2009. Ive had several different models; and lets face it, the first few iterations of Android werent very good. However, from Gingerbread to the current version, Android has made some incredible strides and is, in many ways, superior to iOS.

One thing that touched a chord with me in your post was that your entire family uses iPhones. You may feel, as do I, that youre being left out of things (not literally, of course). iOS has PhotoStream, iMessage, and the all-encompassing iTunes. I feel that I am missing out on stuff; especially Photostream. The only time I see the photostream updates is when I use my iPad. In that respect, Apple has done a superb job at creating a market for themselves. They make you want their product, even if its not the best.

Dont get me wrong, Apple makes great stuff. I own a lot of their products, but their phone isnt one of them. Heres the crazy part of my story:

Since my entire family uses iPhones, I decided that I would give it a try. Now I would be part of the club. I can use iMessage and PhotoStream. I can finally use FaceTime from a phone yay! So, I get the phone, and after about 20 minutes of configuring it, I receive a phone all. The call lasted about 35 minutes, and the quality was terrible. The audio was crackling and choppy and I was told that I sounded like I was on the other side of the room. After that call, I called someone else and the same stuff happened. The call quality was horrible. I knew it wasnt my service because my S3 works fine (from the same physical location). What could it be? Well, a simple Google search of poor iPhone 5 call quality returned many posts and articles. I wasnt alone and crazy. The bottom line is that Apple isnt officially admitting theres a problem, but if you read closely in the posts, they know there is a problem. Also, I couldn't get used to the small screen size. I know these are only two issues, but they are big issues, at lest for me. Needless to say, I returned the iPhone the next day.

I will continue to use my S3 which I love very much. I love the screen size, the quick processor, removable battery and storage and so many more things. I did want to join the rest of my family and friends and get on the iPhone band wagon, but downgrading wasnt for me. And no offense to the iPhone people, but at the end of the day, going from a Samsung Galaxy S3 to an iPhone 5 really is a downgrade (one I was ready to accept if I didn't encounter those issues).

Maybe if Apple comes out with a larger screen iPhone and resolves the call quality issue, I will give it a try again. [Although, I wouldn't have to switch if my family and friends all gert Androids - that would be the best outcome] For now, I will stick with an iPad and my S3.

-Play for music
    -Youtube for videos

Its called Google.com. Your one stop shop for all things Google. Open the webpage and all your tabs are across the top. Its also ALL cloud based, which means you can access it on any computer with an internet connection without downloading anything. I could be wrong, but you have to download the icloud panel to your computer. If you use your buddies' computer, and it doesn't have the icloud panel, you can't access your stuff. IMO the Google ecosystem is much better, and easier to access your stuff.

Sent from my badass Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    Considering what's going on with so many people leaving Apple especially after the iPhone 5 came out and Apple losing more and more market share, I wouldn't call it the majority anymore.
    Apple is not losing market share.

Well Android has been gaining over the last little while, it's gotta come from somewhere. The Surface doesn't have much to give. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Well Android has been gaining over the last little while, it's gotta come from somewhere. The Surface doesn't have much to give. Lol

It's coming from blackberry, windows phone, and other places.

Not all of it.

Not all of it.

Yes, it is. Otherwise it would be impossible for both android and iOS to increase their marketshare, which both of them did.
    Thanked by:
    gaussy 

Apple predicted to lose tablet market share to Android, Windows over the next 4 years - SlashGear
    Nope it isn't. A small amount but still confirms it. (Though I would hardly consider those predictions for 2016 very likely.)

Plus: Op-Ed: Apple Losing Market Share With iPhone 5 and iPad Mini Launch

Apple losing market share among non-english speakers (Apple vs Samsung) | SamMobile That too but honestly some of it I don't believe too much.

Deny it if you want but even its a small amount, Apple is slowly losing out. They don't care about market share sure, but it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Apple is not losing market share.
    Only because there's still Windows and BlackBerry out there. Once they are gone, Apple will no longer have an edge on anyone. Android will chip away at them. If you don't think they are losing marketshare, look into the minute details like tablet marketshare. If they weren't nervous by the success of the Nexus 7, they wouldn't have gone against their God (Jobs) by releasing the iPad Mini. You may have false security, but Apple execs are worried about something........
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    So basically you LOVED the phone, but since it isn't an iPhone you had to get rid of it? It isn't the Nexus' fault that Apple is stupid and makes their ecosystem compatible with anything but Apple. But it's cool that they've gotten so many people in their trap so that they no longer have agency.

I'm not bashing you, I'm bashing the idea that we "have so many Apple products" so we'll never support anything else. It's a shame that you LOVE the Nexus 4 but can't use it because Apple is ed. They need to make things compatible

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle. I'm not here to "troll" or **** people off. Heck, I actually miss the Nexus. Problem is, it just wasn't as functional as the iPhone for me. I wrote down 6 "categories" of issues I had with it, and you selected the ONE where I said "I have lots of Apple products" and ran away with it.

Fact is, I haven't charged my iPhone since last night around 8pm and it's still at 32% charge with LTE enabled and semi-intensive usage.

I could have lived without the USB audio in my car. That's a small preference I'd have to give up, and use 2 cables - USB for charging and aux for music + lose steering wheel controls.
    I could have lived without iMessage, although causing everyone's phone bill to increase would have made me feel bad a little bit.
    The Do Not Disturb/Silencify issue was a small thing that's really not that important in the end, people rarely call me after 10pm, and even then, people mostly text me instead of calling nowadays.
    I had a HARD time not being able to use my heart monitor when play.google.com states the phone should support Bluetooth 4.0. That's Google being stupid and doing fake advertisement.
    I also had trouble with the poor execution regarding iTunes integration.

In the end, I'm still posting here because I want Android. I want it to improve, I want it to challenge Apple and get THEM to improve.

Whenever Google adds support for Bluetooth 4.0 and gives us canadians the option to stream Google Music, my biggest issues will be fixed and I might just decide to swap again in the opposite direction. I'm not an "Apple fanboy", I just want the best possible product for my situation, and so far, Apple has been giving that to me.

Quote Originally Posted by droidguy15 View Post
    Ok, I hear you. Now, Ive got an even crazier story for you. Ive had an Android phone since late 2009. Ive had several different models; and lets face it, the first few iterations of Android werent very good. However, from Gingerbread to the current version, Android has made some incredible strides and is, in many ways, superior to iOS.

One thing that touched a chord with me in your post was that your entire family uses iPhones. You may feel, as do I, that youre being left out of things (not literally, of course). iOS has PhotoStream, iMessage, and the all-encompassing iTunes. I feel that I am missing out on stuff; especially Photostream. The only time I see the photostream updates is when I use my iPad. In that respect, Apple has done a superb job at creating a market for themselves. They make you want their product, even if its not the best.

Dont get me wrong, Apple makes great stuff. I own a lot of their products, but their phone isnt one of them. Heres the crazy part of my story:

Since my entire family uses iPhones, I decided that I would give it a try. Now I would be part of the club. I can use iMessage and PhotoStream. I can finally use FaceTime from a phone yay! So, I get the phone, and after about 20 minutes of configuring it, I receive a phone all. The call lasted about 35 minutes, and the quality was terrible. The audio was crackling and choppy and I was told that I sounded like I was on the other side of the room. After that call, I called someone else and the same stuff happened. The call quality was horrible. I knew it wasnt my service because my S3 works fine (from the same physical location). What could it be? Well, a simple Google search of poor iPhone 5 call quality returned many posts and articles. I wasnt alone and crazy. The bottom line is that Apple isnt officially admitting theres a problem, but if you read closely in the posts, they know there is a problem. Also, I couldn't get used to the small screen size. I know these are only two issues, but they are big issues, at lest for me. Needless to say, I returned the iPhone the next day.

I will continue to use my S3 which I love very much. I love the screen size, the quick processor, removable battery and storage and so many more things. I did want to join the rest of my family and friends and get on the iPhone band wagon, but downgrading wasnt for me. And no offense to the iPhone people, but at the end of the day, going from a Samsung Galaxy S3 to an iPhone 5 really is a downgrade (one I was ready to accept if I didn't encounter those issues).

Maybe if Apple comes out with a larger screen iPhone and resolves the call quality issue, I will give it a try again. [Although, I wouldn't have to switch if my family and friends all gert Androids - that would be the best outcome] For now, I will stick with an iPad and my S3.
    Basically the same thing as me, but inverted. I was willing to "put up" with some of Android's shortcomings (in regards to my general situation) but some of the drawbacks were to hard to justify.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by KarlDag View Post
    I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle. I'm not here to "troll" or **** people off. Heck, I actually miss the Nexus. Problem is, it just wasn't as functional as the iPhone for me. I wrote down 6 "categories" of issues I had with it, and you selected the ONE where I said "I have lots of Apple products" and ran away with it.

Fact is, I haven't charged my iPhone since last night around 8pm and it's still at 32% charge with LTE enabled and semi-intensive usage.

I could have lived without the USB audio in my car. That's a small preference I'd have to give up, and use 2 cables - USB for charging and aux for music + lose steering wheel controls.
    I could have lived without iMessage, although causing everyone's phone bill to increase would have made me feel bad a little bit.
    The Do Not Disturb/Silencify issue was a small thing that's really not that important in the end, people rarely call me after 10pm, and even then, people mostly text me instead of calling nowadays.
    I had a HARD time not being able to use my heart monitor when play.google.com states the phone should support Bluetooth 4.0. That's Google being stupid and doing fake advertisement.
    I also had trouble with the poor execution regarding iTunes integration.

In the end, I'm still posting here because I want Android. I want it to improve, I want it to challenge Apple and get THEM to improve.

Whenever Google adds support for Bluetooth 4.0 and gives us canadians the option to stream Google Music, my biggest issues will be fixed and I might just decide to swap again in the opposite direction. I'm not an "Apple fanboy", I just want the best possible product for my situation, and so far, Apple has been giving that to me.

Basically the same thing as me, but inverted. I was willing to "put up" with some of Android's shortcomings (in regards to my general situation) but some of the drawbacks were to hard to justify.
    Android not only challenges Apple, it far surpasses them. YOUR needs are fulfilled with Apple, but the fact is, Android is where innovation is. Apple is where copying is. And I didn't take one thing and ran with it. I anxiously read your post and then stopped after about the 3rd time that you said your Nexus wasn't an iPhone. You should have realized that the Nexus isn't an Apple product. Why did you assume it would be the same experience as your iPhone? I'm happy for you that you like Apple, but it's so old when people say they couldn't deal with an Android not being an iPhone. Give us legit reasons that Android falls short. Don't just say you couldn't handle it not having the Apple Store. You knew that going in.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast