8 Days Left to Decide Whether to Switch from iPhone to Android - Help me Decide

sholmes1019

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping someone can answer my question or point me in the right direction. I've used iPhones since 2008 but became more and more in love with all the "tinkering" options available on Android and then fell in love with the Nexus 4. So, I decided to order a Nexus 4 and see if I can make the switch without looking back. I've had the Nexus 4 for 6 days now. I rooted it the very first night and installed Paranoid Android. I've also played around with Nova and Apex and various widgets, apps, etc. I'm loving so many things about the phone, but I only have 8 more days to decide if I'm going to keep it and switch from my jailbroken iPhone (losing my grandfathered unlimited data) and still have some questions. I'm hoping to keep this thread open and update it with any additional questions I may have. But here's my first question:

One of my favorite jailbroken iPhone features was having access to all my email (it combines my Gmail and Exchange accounts), texts, notifications, etc. right from my lockscreen using LockInfo. This allowed me to press just one button to wake the device, and then see everything. From there, I could click on an email to read it, but this would not unlock my phone. Only replying to it would cause it to unlock. I loved this. Same thing with text messages. Using BiteSMS, I could view and respond to a text without ever unlocking.

From everything I've seen so far, it appears this isn't possible with Android. Although stock JB on the N4 gives access to email, it can't be set as the default lock screen (instead it requires a swipe after waking), previewing an email unlocks the phone, and Gmail can't be combined with Exchange, so I have to swipe to two different widgets to check all my email. I haven't activated the N4 on my network (AT&T) yet, so I'm not sure yet how it handles text messages and missed calls/voicemails. The goal I'm trying to achieve is to simply press one button to wake phone and be able see all my messages/notifications without having to unlock. It's not a deal breaker at this point, but it's information I need to know about to help weigh my decision whether to return the N4 (deadline to return is 2/19).

Am I right that this isn't possible? I'm so new to Android and having rooted it and played with so many configurations and options (which I love), it's possible I just haven't figured it out yet. So, I'm hoping someone can set me straight or confirm my thoughts. I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks.

sholmes1019

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Just letting you know, Google takes a 15% restocking fee if you send it back as soon as you send an open box. Even in mint condition. I sold mine instead of returning it, got a similar amount much faster.

As for my opinions, you can see my long posts: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-loved-nexus-4-but-returning-iphones-now.html

Google's policy indicates it "may" take a 15% restocking fee, which I knew about when I ordered it. I'm hoping they may not impose it since I haven't even lifted the front and back films off it yet. But, either way, I'm ok with it.

I read your thread before I posted and although I agree with some of your concerns, they're not making me shy away from Android. Your thread (and the responses) was definitely helpful in presenting some of the common issues that people might not think about.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Gmail can also be accessed via imap (exchange is still there for anither 6 months then its being deprecated). I would search Google Play for an email app that has a unified inbox and has a widget that supports Android 4.2 lock screen widgets. If there isn't one now I am sure there will be soon.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

drich

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
fwiw, when I ordered my Nexus 4 on Friday and the guy I talked to said they were not enforcing the restocking fee at this time. He could not tell me how long it would stay that way.

PhilSterBoy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
From what I have seen not that many apps support 4.2 so I don't think what you want to do is possible yet. But i would just wait

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
fwiw, when I ordered my Nexus 4 on Friday and the guy I talked to said they were not enforcing the restocking fee at this time. He could not tell me how long it would stay that way.

That's funny (and sucks) cause when I called on Thursday to return mine they said they would only waived them on an unopened box. I remember because I considered asking for a replacement first, and then returning the unopened new box. In the end, I decided to just sell it at a -15% loss.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
From what I have seen not that many apps support 4.2 so I don't think what you want to do is possible yet. But i would just wait

One thing that everyone with a Nexus had to remember is that we are the cutting edge of android. Things sometimes break (ie all the bugs in 4.2) and it takes time for new apps to catch up and support new features so yes the OP may need to wait but its a virtual certainty it will be possible before long.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

sholmes1019

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help. I have a few more questions.

I'm on Paranoid Android 3.0 now. I assume I can't get JB 4.2.2 because of the custom ROM. What do most people do with this? Do most people stay current with the Google releases or simply stick with the custom ROM? If I want the latest Google release, what's the process? I assume it involves some sort of re-flashing to stock, updating, then re-installing the custom ROM. Right?

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd imagine you'd wait for Paranoid to have an update that will include the 4.2.2. i'm coming from years of ios but that would be my guess.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have a few more questions.

I'm on Paranoid Android 3.0 now. I assume I can't get JB 4.2.2 because of the custom ROM. What do most people do with this? Do most people stay current with the Google releases or simply stick with the custom ROM? If I want the latest Google release, what's the process? I assume it involves some sort of re-flashing to stock, updating, then re-installing the custom ROM. Right?

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Also, to respond for your first post about losing your beloved unlimited data... i guess you're testing the n4 on tmobile while retaining your iphone on att?

cause if you are not sure yet... why dont you just take more time and pop the att sim into the n4 and run it on att on your iphone plan... and you can keep on running it through and beyond your contract until you make a final decision...

i am under contract with att with my 4s but i decided to buy the n4 cause it's so inexpensive and pop in the sim and run and i have been having fun and my speeds have actually been better on the n4. it's also an unlimited account i've had from the 1st gen iphone. at this point i can just run it as is after my contract is up in may and take my time and see what goodie phones come out (rumored large screen iphon6 or google X, or even wait for the next nexus) and then commit. i kinda think it works better this way cause i bet the next phone i get, att will try to force people off the unlimited with new phones that wont have the option.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Why are you losing your grand fathered data plan? If your on AT&T you'll keep it. Uhh I have to type faster ^^^ :)

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Try lockscreen replacements? I haven't tried any yet but I'm sure WidgetLocker must have something you might be looking for. Also, have a look at the new widget called DashClock Widget. It displays the time on your lockscreen as well as how many messages, emails, the weather, your next alarm etc you have. Expand the widget to get a more in depth view. This is a relatively new app so it will only get better with more additions.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
But you wrote that you rooted and jail broke it the first night. It's not a new phone and it's not in original OEM condition. What is Google supposed to do with it? Why should they take a loss simply because you decided not to keep it? Just seems odd that you would buy something, use it, alter it, then decide you don't want it and expect them to take it back as brand new with no conditions. Sell it to someone who wants a used phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

sholmes1019

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Also, to respond for your first post about losing your beloved unlimited data... i guess you're testing the n4 on tmobile while retaining your iphone on att?

cause if you are not sure yet... why dont you just take more time and pop the att sim into the n4 and run it on att on your iphone plan... and you can keep on running it through and beyond your contract until you make a final decision...

i am under contract with att with my 4s but i decided to buy the n4 cause it's so inexpensive and pop in the sim and run and i have been having fun and my speeds have actually been better on the n4. it's also an unlimited account i've had from the 1st gen iphone. at this point i can just run it as is after my contract is up in may and take my time and see what goodie phones come out (rumored large screen iphon6 or google X, or even wait for the next nexus) and then commit. i kinda think it works better this way cause i bet the next phone i get, att will try to force people off the unlimited with new phones that wont have the option.

Why are you losing your grand fathered data plan? If your on AT&T you'll keep it. Uhh I have to type faster ^^^ :)

My initial understanding was that I had to activate the phone on AT&T's network, which I was concerned might trigger a change in services (particularly as to tethering/hot spot since that isn't part of my unlimited service). However, it sounds like I can just throw the sim from my iPhone 4 into the Nexus 4 and that's all? Since I haven't done that, I haven't been using calls or texting.

Try lockscreen replacements? I haven't tried any yet but I'm sure WidgetLocker must have something you might be looking for. Also, have a look at the new widget called DashClock Widget. It displays the time on your lockscreen as well as how many messages, emails, the weather, your next alarm etc you have. Expand the widget to get a more in depth view. This is a relatively new app so it will only get better with more additions.

Thanks! I had just downloaded DashClock widget before I read your post. I'm learning that the lockscreen widgets are new with 4.2 and so developers are just getting started with making use of it.

But you wrote that you rooted and jail broke it the first night. It's not a new phone and it's not in original OEM condition. What is Google supposed to do with it? Why should they take a loss simply because you decided not to keep it? Just seems odd that you would buy something, use it, alter it, then decide you don't want it and expect them to take it back as brand new with no conditions. Sell it to someone who wants a used phone.

I'm a bit confused by your post. I don't expect them to take it back as brand new with no conditions. I explained that I hoped they wouldn't impose a restocking fee, but if they did, I was aware of it when I purchased so I'm fine with that. That said, Google's return policy doesn't indicate any restrictions on returns to "original OEM condition." In fact, the return policy contemplates that items will be returned after varying forms of use:

"We may waive the fee for an unopened box in perfect condition."

They'll even accept damaged devices and packages with missing components:

"For damaged units, customers may be charged additional restocking fees based on the state of your returned device."

"A restocking fee of 15% may be deducted from refunds for items returned within 15 days of purchase and have not incurred material damage and are not missing components included in the original shipment."

My understanding is that rooting/jail breaking these phones is not prohibited by Google, so doing it is no different than any other non-prohibited use. Also, I believe you can revert to stock at any time after rooting. So, combining this with Google's return policy, it looks to me that rooting it, testing the phone, and then reverting back to stock are no different to Google than simply breaking the seal on the box.

All of this said, I decided a few nights ago to keep the Nexus 4! Very excited to dive into Android. These last 12 days have been fun. Check out my photos of the official wireless charger I got yesterday:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...eless-charging-orb-delivered.html#post2589423

Last edited:

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If your on a custom ROM i'm sure you can set the widget to always appear expanded in case you are wondering. Also, atm you might prefer the lock screen notifications widget I mentioned earlier. At least until DashClock gets up a running properly.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
For me... I have a 4s which is an HSPA phone and ATT set it correctly as a unlimited iphone 4s plan... so all I have to do is put the sim into the N4, change the APN settings and no problem.

Now I don't tether on the 4s and dont plan to on the n4 so my using the sim on my n4 shouldnt bring up any issues.

If you have an iphone 5... then you have an LTE plan... I believe that would require you to call ATT to have the plan changed to one that supports HSPA... whether that changes your unlimited plan i dont know.

It's worked well for me... HSPA on the N4 has been faster than my 4s... the only quirk I see is that simultaneous voice/data sucks and if I knew beforehand I may have hestitated... but it hasnt been an issue so enjoying the rest of the experience.

My initial understanding was that I had to activate the phone on AT&T's network, which I was concerned might trigger a change in services (particularly as to tethering/hot spot since that isn't part of my unlimited service). However, it sounds like I can just throw the sim from my iPhone 4 into the Nexus 4 and that's all? Since I haven't done that, I haven't been using calls or texting.

sholmes1019

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
If your on a custom ROM i'm sure you can set the widget to always appear expanded in case you are wondering. Also, atm you might prefer the lock screen notifications widget I mentioned earlier. At least until DashClock gets up a running properly.

Thanks Rizy. Lock Screen Notifications Widget does look much closer to what I was hoping to get in terms of functionality. Whereas DashClock has more of the style I was hoping for. Very excited that these are already being worked on.

Now I just have to get familiar with how to install these types of things that don't come directly from the Play Store.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Locker widget combined with dashclock widget and Go SMS allows you to do what you are asking I believe. Give these a go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech