Anyone know if the Nexus 4 has Bluetooth Low Energy?

osxaddict

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm wanting to get a fitness device that claims to communicate over BLE and which claims to work on IOS and Android devices -- I'm going to ask them which devices but Google does not indicate what sub-sections of the BT4 spec they have as part of the Nexus 4. I further realize that the Android OS is not officially supporting a BLE solution at this time but some device mfg's have some drivers available (broadcom IIRC) that can be loaded possibly.. Anyone ever try one of these types of devices with your Nexus 4 to see if it will work? I do not yet have an N4 so I can't test directly..

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm wanting to get a fitness device that claims to communicate over BLE and which claims to work on IOS and Android devices -- I'm going to ask them which devices but Google does not indicate what sub-sections of the BT4 spec they have as part of the Nexus 4. I further realize that the Android OS is not officially supporting a BLE solution at this time but some device mfg's have some drivers available (broadcom IIRC) that can be loaded possibly.. Anyone ever try one of these types of devices with your Nexus 4 to see if it will work? I do not yet have an N4 so I can't test directly..
The nexus has the hardware for BLE, but not the drivers. Also, as far as I could find, no application supports those devices on android, yet. A part of why I'm back on iOS for now.

osxaddict

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.. That was kinda the opinion I got as well after reading around.. Too bad! I've currently got an iPhone 3GS and need to upgrade within the next few months but I want to get a new fitness activity tracker that requires BLE and I've got nothing that can talk to it -- my iPad is too old (2nd gen), no iPhones.. I think my Macbook Pro can probably do it but I can't drag that around when I'm at the gym.. :eek:

joekieffer

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
From my research the Samsung S3 was supposed to use a different bluetooth stack and should be working but I will only ever buy a Nexus / Google Experience device. I have been using my iPhone 5 until my Nexus 4 gets some rom options to turn my BT4.0 LE functions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12