A few random Q's about the N4

HawaiiR

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, just bought my N4 - loving it so far - and had some questions that I was hoping some of you could answer for me.

1) The stock charger that comes with the phone is rated at 5v, 1.2a; is it ok to use a charger with higher amperage? So say a charger that's rated at 5v, 2.1a? I'd prefer not to fry my phone, so I was hoping one of you could provide an answer. I've read that a 2a charger works, but hoping someone could confirm that this wouldn't fry my battery.

2) Is the T-mobile purchased Nexus 4 unlocked? If not, will I be able to use it abroad when I travel? I'm assuming it's illegal to unlock it, right? What if I get it unlocked overseas - is that illegal?

3) I noticed that every so often the soft keys on the bottom get fuzzy and you can't make out the buttons (looks like a software glitch). Anyone else having this issue, and if so, how do I rectify it?

Last edited:

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, just bought my N4 - loving it so far - and had some questions that I was hoping some of you could answer for me.

1) The stock charger that comes with the phone is rated at 5v, 1.2a; is it ok to us a charger with higher amperage? So say a charger that's rated at 5v, 2.1a? I'd refer not to fry my phone, so I was hoping one of you could provide an answer. I've read that a 2a charger works, but hoping someone could confirm that this wouldn't fry my battery.

2) Is the T-mobile purchased Nexus 4 unlocked? If not, will I be able to use it abroad when I travel? I'm assuming it's illegal to unlock it, right? What if I get it unlocked overseas - is that illegal?

3) I noticed that every so often the soft keys on the bottom get fuzzy and you can't make out the buttons (looks like a software glitch). Anyone else having this issue, and if so, how do I rectify it?
Number 1 & 2 is YES.... Number 3 is the first I've heard of that glitch.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

1) The stock charger that comes with the phone is rated at 5v, 1.2a; is it ok to us a charger with higher amperage? So say a charger that's rated at 5v, 2.1a? I'd refer not to fry my phone, so I was hoping one of you could provide an answer. I've read that a 2a charger works, but hoping someone could confirm that this wouldn't fry my battery.

2. yes, its unlocked and can be used with any GSM carrier in the world. its not illegal all.

3. post a screenshot. havent seen any issue with soft keyboard.

HawaiiR

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it's ok to use a higher amperage charger (ie. 2a) or yes doing so will fry the battery?

2. yes, its unlocked and can be used with any GSM carrier in the world. its not illegal all.

3. post a screenshot. havent seen any issue with soft keyboard.

Suggestions for a good screenshot app?
Here's the problem with trying to post a screen shot (although I'll try to do so) - the problem will appear for a short time then go away. A few times it's disappeared the very next time I've touched the screen. Anyway, if you have a good screenshot app, please let me know. If not I'll just use whatever I find in the app store. ... or I suppose could use my N1 if it's nearby.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Here's the problem with trying to post a screen shot (although I'll try to do so) - the problem will appear for a short time then go away. A few times it's disappeared the very next time I've touched the screen. Anyway, if you have a good screenshot app, please let me know. If not I'll just use whatever I find in the app store. ... or I suppose could use my N1 if it's nearby.
NEXUS 4 already have the screenshot build in press volume down+power button at the same time.

nexus4auir

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Here's the problem with trying to post a screen shot (although I'll try to do so) - the problem will appear for a short time then go away. A few times it's disappeared the very next time I've touched the screen.

Do you mean when those buttons change to little grey dots in place of their former symbols?

Screenshots can be taken by pressing and holding the volume down rocker and power button simultaneously.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it's ok to use a higher amperage charger (ie. 2a) or yes doing so will fry the battery?
Yes it's ok to use the charger in your example.

HawaiiR

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean when those buttons change to little grey dots in place of their former symbols?

Screenshots can be taken by pressing and holding the volume down rocker and power button simultaneously.

No not those. I know which dots you're referring to. My problem is different - the soft key section looks fuzzy and distorted like back in the analog cable days when you would try and tune in to a cable channel you weren't subscribed to.

kinda like what you see in these two images:
3268443897_76db9c0d05_z.jpg

3222847159_0d20b0d2fa.jpg

HawaiiR

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
You are welcome... that's what this forum is all about.

Hey Greg, back to the charger question. Looking at some Ipad USB chargers rated at 5.1v 2.1a - is this a bad idea? 5.1v is slightly higher voltage than the current charger, of course.
Thoughts?

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey Greg, back to the charger question. Looking at some Ipad USB chargers rated at 5.1v 2.1a - is this a bad idea? 5.1v is slightly higher voltage than the current charger, of course.
Thoughts?
Aren't those specific for Apple... meaning the end won't plug in to the phone? I use a charger from an Asus tablet and haven't had a problem.

HawaiiR

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site

Aren't those specific for Apple... meaning the end won't plug in to the phone? I use a charger from an Asus tablet and haven't had a problem.

Well it's this thing basically, so I can just plug in the USB cable with the micro usb connector for my phone. Just worried that it's rated at 5.1 v which is slightly higher than the charger it comes with.
lol... now I remember why I should have paid attention to this in school.

$T2eC16FHJHgE9n0yDj0vBQtR-Jlg3Q~~60_57.JPG

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

HawaiiR

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site

Also... someone told me that the phone will not accept a charge if the voltage is to high or to low. It's a protection thing. PM Still1...he seems to be very knowledgeable.

So before I read your reply (do you ever sleep?) I actually found one laying around the condo (no clue who it belongs to) - plugged it in and the charge indicator light and notification (middle screen) started tweaking out. Soooo, I immediately unplugged it. Guess I got my answer...lol

Thanks for the help anyway - I supposed I'll stick with what's tried and true as far as the chargers go.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
So before I read your reply (do you ever sleep?) I actually found one laying around the condo (no clue who it belongs to) - plugged it in and the charge indicator light and notification (middle screen) started tweaking out. Soooo, I immediately unplugged it. Guess I got my answer...lol

Thanks for the help anyway - I supposed I'll stick with what's tried and true as far as the chargers go.
Sorry I couldn't have been more help. Oh... I work nights... lol!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7