1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Question Launchers??

Complete newb here insofar as Android devices.

I just received my new Nexus 4 (moving from older iPhone 3GS), and am curious as to why I would need or want any launcher app.

Perhaps I don't understand what the app would give me that would improve the stock OS in my new phone.

Can anyone share what I would gain and what is seen as the best launcher app if I decide to try one? If I decide I do not like after trying, am I able to uninstall and return to the stock phone as can be done on any other app?

Many thanks!!

Padre Jeff

Default Re: Launchers??

Home screen rotation, more or fewer home screens, ability to uninstall apps just by pressing the icon, ability to stack apps into folders, change to doze and behavior of the dock, add gesture controls.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    3,248 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

I'm currently running stock launcher but I had been using Nova launcher on my Galaxy Nexus for awhile. It's pretty nice and stable. Check it out. There is a free and paid version. The paid version gets you more screen transition types and some extra features.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by padrejeff View Post
    Complete newb here insofar as Android devices.

I just received my new Nexus 4 (moving from older iPhone 3GS), and am curious as to why I would need or want any launcher app.

Perhaps I don't understand what the app would give me that would improve the stock OS in my new phone.

Padre Jeff
    It's really about adding functionality. You don't *need* one per se -- but it gives you a lot more flexibility. I'm not a fan of Samsung's TouchWiz launcher, so I use a third-party one to get things back to stock(ish) Android without having to flash a custom ROM.

Checkout the sticky labeled screenshots to get an idea of what you can customize and/or checkout mycoloscreens.com some great layouts there.

I recommend Nova because it is stable, easy to use, and does not use a lot memory.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Moto X assembled in the USA!!

Also, since you're coming from iOS I'd recommend Nova Launcher since it's the only one that currently supports GLOBAL Badge Notifications (those little red #'s on the App icons).
    Here's how--> [HOW-TO] Guide to Global Badge Notifications

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Yea, add on launchers can do pretty much whatever you may want them to do. I use Nova Launcher almost exclusively for two things: disabling wallpaper scrolling and making the app drawer transparent so I can see my wallpaper on it instead of the black background. Everything else looks and functions as stock.

Others will do so much more with it but that's all I need it for, and it serves that purpose.