1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to switch from Verizon to T-Mobile prepaid?

I'm sure I'm one of many who are ditching Verizon (and the Galaxy Nexus) for a Nexus 4 and going prepaid. I have a new Nexus 4 and would like to leave Verizon, pay my ETF, keep my phone number, and go prepaid on T-Mobile's service. I've been scouring the net and have been unable to find really clear instructions as to how to do this, step by step. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Please forgive my ignorance. Thanks!

Default Re: How to switch from Verizon to T-Mobile prepaid?

There's good a info in this thread:
    Want to port# from VZW to ST; But I'm on Family Plan
    Want to port# from VZW to ST; But I'm on Family Plan

It's my understanding... You'll need a PIN from Verizon. You'll tell T-Mobile to do the port. When the port completes it closes the old account. You'll get a final bill that I would think includes the ETF.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ask me about Solavei.

Not sure how different verizon is than sprint, but you have to provide T-mo with your phone number and the username/password you use to sign-in to VZW's site (during activation of a new T-mo sim card/ phone). Then the port should take roughly 2 days and you'll be able to start using T-mo once you set up the remainder of your account. VZW will send you a bill with what you owe them. Everyone is satisfied.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks guys. Once I get the SIM from T-Mobile, do I try to activate it first before contacting Verizon? Should I port my number to Google Voice in the meantime? Sorry for the ignorant questions. Can't find simple instructions anywhere.

yes, you shouldn't need to contact verizon at all, T-mo will do that for you once you put in the port request. Porting your number to google voice depends on when your next month with verizon starts, I'd hold out as long as possible just so you don't have to got through the porting process a bunch of times.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by boparunsxc View Post
    yes, you shouldn't need to contact verizon at all, T-mo will do that for you once you put in the port request. Porting your number to google voice depends on when your next month with verizon starts, I'd hold out as long as possible just so you don't have to got through the porting process a bunch of times.
    Thanks - my month with Verizon ends the 20th, so I'm trying to get it all done this week. They'll probably be contacting me anyway, for their $200+ ETF!

I've gotten a second number through Google Voice in order to save on my minutes when I'm limited to 100 w/ T-Mobile. Should/could I port my original number to GV as well?

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

If you plan on using your old Verizon number with your Nexus 4, don't bother porting to Google Voice, and there's no need to contact Verizon. T-Mobile will handle everything for you. All you have to do is supply them with the info noted above.

Also, note that you may get two bills after you cancel your Verizon account, depending on where you are in your billing cycle. Your old Verizon contract is post-paid, meaning you're billed at the end of the use period. If you cancel on or near your billing date, your next bill may not reflect the ETF as the bill will already be in processing. The ETF will come on a later bill. On the other hand, if you cancel somewhere in the middle, your bill may include everything (ETF and pro-rated month of use).

It's not as complicated as it may sound, and is actually quite painless. You may experience a period where you'll have service on both your old and new phones, but it will be temporary and will clear up once the transfer is complete.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    If you plan on using your old Verizon number with your Nexus 4, don't bother porting to Google Voice, and there's no need to contact Verizon. T-Mobile will handle everything for you. All you have to do is supply them with the info noted above.

Also, note that you may get two bills after you cancel your Verizon account, depending on where you are in your billing cycle. Your old Verizon contract is post-paid, meaning you're billed at the end of the use period. If you cancel on or near your billing date, your next bill may not reflect the ETF as the bill will already be in processing. The ETF will come on a later bill. On the other hand, if you cancel somewhere in the middle, your bill may include everything (ETF and pro-rated month of use).

It's not as complicated as it may sound, and is actually quite painless. You may experience a period where you'll have service on both your old and new phones, but it will be temporary and will clear up once the transfer is complete.
    Thank you, that's great to hear. Is it worth considering porting my number to GV if I find myself unhappy with T-Mobile and wanting to try another prepaid carrier? I've read similar things here and there.

Does anyone know how to get the T-Mobile prepaid plan that costs $30/month and includes 5GB data? I already have the Nexus 4 and don't want to buy another phone to get it - apparently that's what's required....

Quote Originally Posted by krazykujo View Post
    Thank you, that's great to hear. Is it worth considering porting my number to GV if I find myself unhappy with T-Mobile and wanting to try another prepaid carrier? I've read similar things here and there.

Does anyone know how to get the T-Mobile prepaid plan that costs $30/month and includes 5GB data? I already have the Nexus 4 and don't want to buy another phone to get it - apparently that's what's required....
    Get a sim activation kit, either amazon or tmobile store, go home activate online and pick the plan

I like Google voice, the no mms bugs me though

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I had to go into the T-mobile store and pick out the rep with a faded tmobile shirt so I knew he had been there longer than 6 months. I asked for that plan directly and had an Iphone 4 my relative gave me active on the T mobile network. HOWEVER! it only get 3g service. Which I am not displeased with.

ALSO, I had my old number ported to Google phone becasue the $30 plan only has 100 min. SO i use 3g data to plae and recieve calls, I need at least 4 bars for the voip to work on the Iphone, or it forwaeds to my 100 min plan otherwise. There are allot of good things you can do with a google voice and OBI talk, so i havelLand line phone hooked up at home as well when I am not logged into google voice on my cell, it's great! Now it will never matter who my carrier is becasue i can just forward all my calls to what ever number I want. I don't use my limited talk time at home or when I have wifi or 3G servie with Four Bars. Only when i am away form the Tmobile network with less then four bars to I have to use my limited talk time. hopefully T mobile is the least expensive option, activing a At&T Iphone on thier network works if you are ok with 3g service.

Just go to tmobile they'll handle everythingfor you there

Sent from my HTC One

What T-Mo plan did you get or are you getting?

I left Sprint for T-Mo's $30 100/Unlim/5GB, so I've been saving $50/mo as a result, which very quickly paid for the $160 ETF I had.

Quote Originally Posted by cakewalk1701 View Post

I had to go into the T-mobile store and pick out the rep with a faded tmobile shirt so I knew he had been there longer than 6 months. I asked for that plan directly and had an Iphone 4 my relative gave me active on the T mobile network. HOWEVER! it only get 3g service. Which I am not displeased with.
    I was informed in t on another forum that the $30 5gb data prepaid plan is only visible on TMO's website after you purchase a SIM card, not not before.