Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Popped your Google Wallet cherry at retail setting yet? I did today, and it was interesting.

As recommended by others, I had launched Google Wallet and entered my pin before starting the transaction. I also verified with the cashier at the Walgreens that the machine/reader was working. I placed my Nexus 4 on the reader, and followed the reader prompts. The first attempt actually failed; cashier mentioned that error looked like a bad pin was entered although I didn't see error message on Google Wallet app (Tonight, while typing up this post, I tried purposely entering the wrong pin to see what error message looks like; I didn't see that error message during my transaction). I had to redo the whole transaction: place N4 on reader, follow prompts etc.. The second attempt went through fine.

I think that the reason the first transaction attempt failed was due to security on my credit card. I got a text from credit card company in between my first and second attempts to verify that the transaction was valid and not fraudulent. I got an automated call about 15 minutes later since I did not respond to the text at time.

Will try again next time opportunity presents itself and report results here.

Where I can see potentially using this is when I'm biking around and don't want to worry about dropping/losing my wallet. If I need to stop by the Walgreens to pick up something while out biking, I do have a viable payment option through my N4.
    Thanked by:
    rhea 
    rhea, Darth Spock and MERCDROID like this.
    tgp

Global Posts
    1,776 Global Posts

Default Re: Popped your Google Wallet cherry at retail setting yet? I did today, and it was interesting.

So far I've found the reliability to be hit or miss. Most of the time it works; sometimes it doesn't. After a failed attempt or two to pay at McDonald's, I learned to have my credit card handy so if the NFC payment fails, I can quickly pay without digging my credit card out. It seems to me that whenever it hasn't worked I have a poor data connection, although I was under the impression that Wallet was designed to work without data.

I have a Nexus 4 with T-Mobile service.

Default Re: Popped your Google Wallet cherry at retail setting yet? I did today, and it was interesting.

Congrats! I have used it a few times. I guess once you turn on your phone (I power down every night) you can see gw initialize. They say you do not even have to open the app if you have your default card selected. Have not tried it on my nexus 7 where they say you do not even need wifi at the time of transaction.

Overall a cool experience. Can't wait for more readers to start popping up. I was down in Austin, TX last week and they have those readers everywhere as a test market for ISIS. They told me that google wallet works also, but I was carrying my note 2. One thing that kind of bugs me is you cannot delete the transaction from the app. I am kind of OCD about clearing stuff like that so I am not to keen on having all these transactions that I cannot delete. Maybe they will add that in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
    Last edited by planoman; 02-14-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    Cedric Stover likes this.

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

I use it all the time! When I go for my runs and don't have my wallet I use Google Wallet to pay for my smoothie at Jamba Juice, or my water at Walgreens. Its very conveinent.

I use google wallet daily on my nexus 4. Love it. Super convenient. I actually got airport police called on me while using it at the airport. The cashier was convinced I was scamming her. I explained and she didn't get it and was quite accusatory about it. PD came and I was cleared immediately. Ended up getting all the goods for free from the manager. Nobody explained the touch to pay option on their POS to this cashier.

ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

I have to admit I have not used Google wallet yet but I will set it up and use it soon. I need to start using android to the fullest!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I never remember to look for the opportunities to use it! Probably because I'm old and set in my ways. Must.try.to.remember...

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    I use google wallet daily on my nexus 4. Love it. Super convenient. I actually got airport police called on me while using it at the airport. The cashier was convinced I was scamming her. I explained and she didn't get it and was quite accusatory about it. PD came and I was cleared immediately. Ended up getting all the goods for free from the manager. Nobody explained the touch to pay option on their POS to this cashier.
    I agree, most places just buy the POS system with the nfc terminal but never bother to have cashiers trained. Most are shocked that I can pay with my N4. Only met one cashier who knew what nfc was

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I was at CVS Pharmacy getting some meds for my girlfriend. I got my stuff and you know I was behind someone, I was already playing with my phone. So I just decided to use it for the purchase. Input my code and you know wait for the lady to tell me the amount. I use it and it went through like butter.. even a receipt came out on the screen. I felt cool! The guy behind me I guess he was on his lunch break saw me using my phone for the purchase and when the receipt popped up on the phone. I saw his reaction like "what the f just happened?" I still need to find more places with PayPass. I would do it again, I just forget sometimes.
    BlackBerry Bold 9700>iPhone 4>iPhone 4S>NOKIA Lumia 900>Samsung Galaxy Nexus>LG Nexus 4>Asus Nexus 7(2013)>LG Nexus 5
    Thanked by:
    KitN 
    Darth Spock likes this.

Other than Peets coffee shops, I've never seen anywhere that accepts GW.

What are some popular places where we can use this service

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by Go Ogle View Post
    What are some popular places where we can use this service

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

I've used it about seven times at a Sunoco near me and another time at a Champs and Sunoco in another state. All flawless thus far!

From the how purchases work section of the app (in the menu) it says you don't need to wake your phone or open the app. Just touch and you're done. Then it says, if prompted, enter your code. My problem with this is that the "learn more" link says that PIN use is enforced which prevents theives from using your Wallet. So, which is it? It always asks or maybe it will ask?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Double posted.

I used mine at a Walgreens today. Didn't realize that I had to tell the pay pass terminal it was a credit card regardless of what kind of card I have linked to my account, but other than that, it worked smoothly.

Sent from my Nexus 4

"Popped your Google Wallet cherry at retail setting yet? ..."
    How amazingly gross and inappropriate.

Too bad it isn't available in Canada yet. I hope it comes soon i'd love to try it out!

Just used it at McDonalds. First one denied. Cashier said to re-tap and it worked. Something better about using you phone to cover $3.00 than pulling out a credit card, even though it's the exact same in my case. Definite +1.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    beanctr10 likes this.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.09

I used mine at my carwash. Went through hoops to get around the VZW block of it. Now its back to not supported on my phone.

Sent from my SCH-i605 using Tapatalk 2
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Other than Peets coffee shops, I've never seen anywhere that accepts GW.

Sports authority does. So does anywhere that accepts pay pass.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Anyone use it with a rearth case on it?

Ugh!!!!! I sooo want this! Is it available for at&t? If so where can I find it? It would be perfect for me since I have my phone more than my wallet.

If I could somehow get an app to store my drivers license, I would probably never carry my wallet again.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
    gnr_2 likes this.

Used mine at 7-Eleven the other day. I have used it there before, but this time there were new cashiers. One of them got so excited that he started jumping up and down and giving high fives. Then the other one asked if I wanted a receipt and when I showed him it was already on the phone the two of them literally jumped around and then the high fives and fist bumps really started flying.

7-Eleven coffee never tasted so good.

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

I used it a couple times last summer. It was no faster then swiping my Amex so i just stopped using it. I had to sign a receipt at that time, maybe they changed it by now. Signing killed it for me. The last thing I want to do is touch their pen. I know its a double transaction google/Amex. Where my Amex is just a straight transaction. I always carry both my wallet and phone. If I was stuck with just my phone , it might come in handy.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast