Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    852 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: i have nexus 4 but iphone is better

http://m.androidcentral.com/nsa-buil...-communication

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    "In valor, there is hope."
    MERCDROID likes this.

Why would you need that level of encryption ? Do you work for the security services or are you just trolling?
    Thanked by 3:
    yfan, Sashreek, MERCDROID and 4 others like this.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Trolling Lol corporate workers usually don't need a super high level of security on their phones as most aren't handling secret or higher documents on a mobile if they are they are insane. Most of the time its fouo but not secret or top secret as I know dod blocks those comms at high security levels from shooting to non approved devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

Quote Originally Posted by Montymobile View Post
    Why would you need that level of encryption ? Do you work for the security services or are you just trolling?
    i have the same feeling looking through rest of his post history

Quote Originally Posted by Montymobile View Post
    Most likely trolling, but I am interested in this topic so I'll bite anyway. Sometimes encryption/security isn't a matter of need, its a matter of want, but there are many corporations that insist upon high levels of encryption (My current job for one). As bkorver pointed out Android can be manipulated to support this level of security and yesterdays post about the Motorola Solutions phone running ICS (Linkage) further illustrates this.
    little known fact, Android is Mastermold's OS ...

This is probably in fact a ploy by the NSA to push suspect terrorists into using Apple. It probably is in fact easier to decipher. There is no way they would ever admit they could not crack it.
    Thanked by:
    andr0idralphie likes this.

iPhones "might" be better at encryption, but your Nexus 4 will be better in almost every other aspect.
    Thanked by 2:

For the same reason a Prius can't pull a 10,000 pound trailer and my diesel truck can...the engineers/manufactures design different products for different needs. I doubt 99% of the smartphone population needs that level of security, but if you do, get an iphone. That's the whole reason we have all these choices.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    MERCDROID and TomsAndroid like this.

Not necessarily so hard to do on Android platform once Google and device partners make it a priority. Two comments:

all the phone encryption can be moot if the data and files are synced to Dropbox et al, and the access might be more easily cracked there or on another device/PC.

For large enterprise or organizational use, key management - recovery, escrow, distribution, revocation - is awfully complex to build securely yet make use able. What happens when one employee forgets their PIN. Data wipe, data gone.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

[edited by moderator]

But, in this case I am serious. I need high level security. Does anyone have serious advice on how to implement that update or get a similar set up to the iPhone?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-13-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Have you tried the builtin option?
    Settings--> Security--> Encrypt phone

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Keep the discussion civil and on-topic.

Sent from my SGSIII
    Thanked by:
    Slender Troll likes this.

Global Posts
    6,682 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

I'll take the N4 off your hands if it's too complicated. Anything actual sensitive such as PCI, etc should be prevented server side from ever reaching your phone, which leaves only communications via e-mail, mms, sms, etc. or attachments that are sent through unapproved channels, ie. breaking either company policies and/or regulations of that data. Best advice would be to take the device to your security team with your specific concerns and they should be able to address best practices.

In the really real world, the iPhone is 100% exactly the same security level as any Android phone sold through retail/carrier channels in the US (including the N4) (as in, not a knockoff from the 3rd world). Their security is 100% up to the user. If you follow best practices and avoid malware, unauthorized peripheral access and unauthorized network connections, + setting the security settings built in on the phone to their most restrictive settings, in most cases it would take someone physically having your phone to "crack" it, and even then, there would be nothing of use on it.

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Trolling Lol corporate workers usually don't need a super high level of security on their phones as most aren't handling secret or higher documents on a mobile if they are they are insane. Most of the time its fouo but not secret or top secret as I know dod blocks those comms at high security levels from shooting to non approved devices.

Exactly.

I work in a secure area...and mobile phones, electronic devices arent allowed in the office, period. Even visitors have to leave them out. If on office phones, we are supposed to turn away from your work, dont ask or answer work related questions while on the phone. I barely use my desk phone as is. Some people have 2 separate phone lines at their desk....yea its that serious....lol.

A CD player is allowed tho. Maybe my phone is sensitive for the work contacts on my phone ...but thats about it. I'm not stupid enough to put what they do or who we work for in my contact info tho. Maybe some ppl are..And I damn sure dont talk about my job in detail to folks outside of work.

We have to leave our phones in a lil locker in the hallway.
    Last edited by jroc; 02-13-2013 at 10:17 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Darth Spock and MERCDROID like this.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

I have done missions in secure environments we had equipment tracking down anything transmitting wirelessly. Cell phones, personal laptops, everything, there was no chance on gods green earth they were going to let calls be placed or important data leak anywhere.

I'm working with secure hdd's now and I have to maintain physical control at all times or things get real ugly with the agency I'm working with.

Documents that are important don't end up on phones and normally contain a password encryption on the document itself on top of the security of the device.

jroc likes this.

So just to entertain the argument, and for nothing else, lets say that information is correct. The iPhone is a steel trap. So, that makes the phone not only "better," but it also makes a relevant thread? Is that what I am to believe?
    Thanked by 2:
    MERCDROID and Slender Troll like this.

I love my iPhone 5 to but it is not any better then the Nexus 4 I have, while the iPhone(admittedly) has better apps and better camera it lacks the customisation that I crave for. Dont get me wrong the Nexus blows the iPhone out of the water with its AMAZING customisation. So OP they are both equal.

Global Posts
    3,284 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

The main reason that the Nexus 4 doesn't focus on that kind of stuff is because Google was busy focusing on making the best phone and os on the planet instead. :banghead:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

If you believe governments, especially ones as paranoid about security and control as successive American ones, would allow anything onto the market that was uncrackable then you're being a bit naive.
    Select government agencies will be supplied with back door keys either in the beginning or on demand. Why would they allow criminals and terrorists easy access to a telecommunications tool that completely locks out their own security forces out of the box?
    andr0idralphie likes this.

From one of the OP's articles:

"The iPhone and iPad do keep a copy of the encryption key deeper in flash memoryotherwise there would be no way for the device to recover data when it was turned back on. But that encryption key is itself protected by the users PIN lock, a code that must be entered before the device can be used."

I don't care if the iPhone uses AES- if someone forgets to (or never bothers to) use PIN lock, it is possible to find the iPhone's private key- which would render the encryption useless. There is always a security workaround, security is really about adding layers upon layers to make it cost prohibitive relative to the data gained by cracking it.

If you really needed high levels of security at work, your employer would prevent any mobile devices from coming in the building.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

Global Posts
    6,682 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/14/39...om-your-iphone

Guess assumptions are flawed... :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by 3:
    jroc, Treknologist, Lanhoj and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    iPhone lockscreen can be bypassed with new iOS 6.1 trick | The Verge

Guess assumptions are flawed... :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Chalk up another one for Android.
    Thanked by:

If security is all you're worried about, sell your iPhone and purchase a safe.
    Thanked by:

Then go away.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast