Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 music file transfere

Hi there!!!
    Im having problem with music files transfer from my PC to nexus4, as my PC just dont see it when it connected as media device(MTP), not a problem when its connected as camera(PTP), anyone can advice me anything???

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 4 music file transfere

What version of windows are you using? I've got Windows 7 and when I plug in to the USB I can see the Nexus 4 in Windows Explorer as a drive. I can then drag and drop any type of file to the Nexus 4. If you're using a Mac there's a program that you have to download to get the same functionality.

Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

If you are on a Mac you can use Android File Transfer, Win Pc shouldn't need anything. Try another USB port or reboot.
    N5 Black 32GB (4.4.4), N4 (4.4.4), iphone 5 (ios 8), ONE+64GB, N7(5.0 "L") AT&T The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

im using windowsXP home edition...

Quote Originally Posted by geezerUA View Post
    im using windowsXP home edition...
    I'm just learning this as well. There is a download on windows.com that will turn on MTP file transfer when connected via usb to an XP computer.

Download Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit from Official Microsoft Download Center

HOWEVER, I'm finding that I can only transfer jpg files with this loaded. All other content file extensions are refused by a windows xp dialog.

On a hunch, I just tried the same transfer connected to a windows 7 tablet and it transferred an mp3 file successfully, thereby answering the question I came here to ask... "Why wasn't I able to transfer media files other than jpg images via USB after downloading and installing the XP MTP driver.

fwiw, the following links may be helpful;

Listen offline on your device - Google Play Help

Transfer music files to or from your computer via USB - Google Play Help

Supported filetypes - Google Play Help

Note... read the fine print in the "supported files" table...

I transferred mp3, m4a and wma files... the first two play, but the wma files can only be played if they are uploaded to the "cloud" by the windows upload tool.

Hope that this information is of value.
    Beverly Howard