Data connectivity issues when going from wifi to mobile data

Clone9

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have been having some issues with my data connection when going from wifi to mobile data. Whenever I leave a known wifi (work, home, seemingly wherever) I cannot successfully switch to mobile data. What happens is my signal indicator on the top right cycles between grey, blue, and blue with the 'H', but it only spends ~5 seconds on each one (not exactly 5, and not consistently 5) and never actually giving me a data connection (despite being blue).

This can be "fixed" by turning off the wifi and then turning on airplane mode for a second or two before turning it off. However, if I still have my wifi on, the phone seems to try and connect to wifi (it says wifi connections are available, which they are pretty much everywhere these days) and cannot connect to the mobile data. I don't recall this happening when I had Straight Talk T Mobile back when I got the phone in November, but it seems to have been happening since I switched to Straight Talk ATT (the data speed for TMo was great, but the voice connection sucked at both home and work so I had to let it go), which leads me to believe it is a settings thing, since I know there are many who use ST ATT without issue.

As you can imagine, this is quite annoying, especially since I use Google Voice for texts, so I don't even get them when not on data. I know I can "fix" this by manually messing with the settings, but it seems like I shouldn't have to mess with this so much in this day and age. APN settings are attached.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2013-02-13 21.21.01.png
    2013-02-13 21.21.01.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 2013-02-13 21.21.07.png
    2013-02-13 21.21.07.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 2013-02-13 21.21.13.png
    2013-02-13 21.21.13.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 15

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Typically my first recommendation when I see data issues that involve the initiation of a data session is to get a new SIM card. Whether it's the new SIM itself or the SIM provisioning process on the network, it usually seems to help. Have you tried a new card already?

Clone9

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping there would be a non-SIM related issue that could be fixed without trying to deal with Straight Talk....but maybe that is worth a try....

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping there would be a non-SIM related issue that could be fixed without trying to deal with Straight Talk....but maybe that is worth a try....

The only other advice I can offer at this point would be to try a complete factory reset.

AndyPolidore

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have been having some issues with my data connection when going from wifi to mobile data. Whenever I leave a known wifi (work, home, seemingly wherever) I cannot successfully switch to mobile data. What happens is my signal indicator on the top right cycles between grey, blue, and blue with the 'H', but it only spends ~5 seconds on each one (not exactly 5, and not consistently 5) and never actually giving me a data connection (despite being blue).

This can be "fixed" by turning off the wifi and then turning on airplane mode for a second or two before turning it off. However, if I still have my wifi on, the phone seems to try and connect to wifi (it says wifi connections are available, which they are pretty much everywhere these days) and cannot connect to the mobile data. I don't recall this happening when I had Straight Talk T Mobile back when I got the phone in November, but it seems to have been happening since I switched to Straight Talk ATT (the data speed for TMo was great, but the voice connection sucked at both home and work so I had to let it go), which leads me to believe it is a settings thing, since I know there are many who use ST ATT without issue.

As you can imagine, this is quite annoying, especially since I use Google Voice for texts, so I don't even get them when not on data. I know I can "fix" this by manually messing with the settings, but it seems like I shouldn't have to mess with this so much in this day and age. APN settings are attached.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

This happens to me all the time until I reset the phone.

siegbert

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Happens to me to all the time, unless I reset the phone.
Solution I found so far, is setting on wifi at work and at home and setting off data.
When I leave my house or work, i turn wifi off and data on, and it looks like it works fine.

Used to have an iphone 4S before and never had problems with the same Sim card

Reptile1990

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have this same problem with my nexus 4 on ST (ATT). The only way I could fix it is rebooting the phone. I just got the 4.2.2 update, so im hoping it wont happen again but im not holding my breath.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon