Nexus 4 not showing 4.2.2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You say this based on what, exactly? Apple has greater market capitalization, more profits, and thus more flexibility to buy anything, including servers. Also, they have less traffic in total. I am quite certain that neither Apple nor Google just has the servers that handle OS updates sit idly by when there is no OS update going out. This in turn means server and capacity in use for something else have to be freed up and dedicated to OS updates when one is available, for the time being. It stands to reason that Apple has more wiggle room there.

Lol, okay. So what? This is how Android updates have always been. Is this... "nonsense" a dealbreaker for you? If so, why are you here? If not, chill.

Certainly you're aware that Google has server capacity that is many times that of apple's, aren't you? Apple has never been flexible when it came to server usage, as their very checkered history with their web services proves. They've gotten better, sure, but still nowhere near google's.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

doug9000

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You seem to be informed on server capacity, How many servers is the update on? How many servers that google has are capable of serving the update? Of those available how many dose the Nexus team have access to?

jlcordero

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
just so you now mac dosent have his sistems he rent them to his nemesis.

"Apple's recently announced cloud storage and cloud service platform, iCloud, runs on their main competitor Microsoft's Azure platform and Amazon services. According to The Reg's sources, 'Microsoft insiders see the iCloud deal as a validation of Azure. iCloud puts Azure into a different league, given the brand love for Apple and the Apple management's fanatical attitude to perfection. It is a "huge consumer brand, a great opportunity to get Azure under a very visible workload." ... Apple has had a recent unpleasant experience in providing online services: in a famous memo, Steve Jobs admitted his company had "more to learn about internet services" following the outages and failures of his precursor to iCloud for email, contacts, calendar, photos and other files on MobileMe.'"

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
just so you now mac dosent have his sistems he rent them to his nemesis.

"Apple's recently announced cloud storage and cloud service platform, iCloud, runs on their main competitor Microsoft's Azure platform and Amazon services. According to The Reg's sources, 'Microsoft insiders see the iCloud deal as a validation of Azure. iCloud puts Azure into a different league, given the brand love for Apple and the Apple management's fanatical attitude to perfection. It is a "huge consumer brand, a great opportunity to get Azure under a very visible workload." ... Apple has had a recent unpleasant experience in providing online services: in a famous memo, Steve Jobs admitted his company had "more to learn about internet services" following the outages and failures of his precursor to iCloud for email, contacts, calendar, photos and other files on MobileMe.'"

Not quite. Apple has its own servers. The facility in North Carolina is the main center for iCloud.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Its amazing to me how some people on here think they're so much smarter than Google engineers. If you were that spoiled, why the hell did you switch?? I think the terms iOS, and Apple should be banned from this forum. Very aggervating when the two OS are compared on a daily basis. IMO
Why I switched from iOS recently and was very annoyed I would have to wait awhile even though I had a nexus device , in fact one of the reasons I got the n4 over the s3 was the promise of instant updates, but don't get me wrong in nearly everything else (IMHO) android blows away the iPhone

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
You aren't getting my point. The small set is not the number of hardware Apple provides. The small set is the number of products Apple provides through the web - basically, the Apple website, the Apple store, the iTunes store, Apple's cloud services and that's about it. Google, on the other hand, has the Play Store, Google cloud services (which are much more complete and broad than Apple's), Gmail, Google Plus, and the responsibility of having to handle 70-80% of the world's searches.

The point also isn't that the same servers handle everything. The point is Apple has greater flexibility to devote more servers (or more server capacity) to iOS updates - updates for an OS and devices they insist on absolute control over - than Google for Android updates. By the way, honest question: does everyone on iOS receive an update on the exact same moment (or at least begin receiving it on the exact same moment)? If not, Apple too "rolls it out" following some sort of sequence.

No I got the iOS 6.1 ota on my iPhone 4S and his 5 at the same time no delay like this which kinda frustrates me

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
The OTA update just hit my N4 10 minutes ago. It will come, relax. Like everyone said, they are rolling it out.

If you want instant access at the same time as 100 million+ others you might want to check out the iPhone.

You mean the iPhone that I just switched from? Can I not have expectations especially since this is a nexus device?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Why I switched from iOS recently and was very annoyed I would have to wait awhile even though I had a nexus device , in fact one of the reasons I got the n4 over the s3 was the promise of instant updates, but don't get me wrong in nearly everything else (IMHO) android blows away the iPhone

Instant as is in not waiting months for your carrier to roll out the update, not instant as is within minutes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
You mean the iPhone that I just switched from? Can I not have expectations especially since this is a nexus device?

If you weren't constantly checking for it because you read on a forum that it's out, would it really make a difference that you get the update a couple of days earlier or later?

omgzam

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
If you're unrooted, you can still get OTA updates to 4.2.2.

Under Settings > Apps > Google Services Framework

Disable > Force Stop > Clear Cache > Enable

Now then proceed to Settings > About Phone > System Updates > Check Now

Should be able to view the latest update.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys the update showed up today I'm very happy right now the battery I don't know if it was meant to be improved but I appreciate it! And I understand that android has staggered roll outs I'm fine with it now

- - - Updated - - -

If you weren't constantly checking for it because you read on a forum that it's out, would it really make a difference that you get the update a couple of days earlier or later?

you re right...

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
It is interesting that my wife got her update and I have not. She has a 646 area code and I have a 718.

Use the method omgzam posted I didn't have to do it for the update to show but try it anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

It is interesting that my wife got her update and I have not. She has a 646 area code and I have a 718.

Use the method omgzam posted I didn't have to do it for the update to show but try it anyway.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I had WiFi off when it came out. I had to turn it on to get it myself.

And seriously, folks... wtf does 4.2.2 have to do with Apple, iOS, or an iPhone? Take that discussion somewhere else, please.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I had WiFi off when it came out. I had to turn it on to get it myself.

And seriously, folks... wtf does 4.2.2 have to do with Apple, iOS, or an iPhone? Take that discussion somewhere else, please.

Well you see it's this way Mr. Know It All, after my wife updated the notification bar had this little notification saying "sent from my iPhone"